• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

From the sketchbook... (1 Viewer)

Like the way this is looking Alan. Just one word, if I may. Personally i would pop the green in and I'd do it now, because if you don't and it doesen't develop along with the others, in your subconscious it will always feel like an 'add-on'. I think it adds to the composition and I would use it (But it ain't my baby!! ;) ) Lovely work in any case.

Like the way this is looking Alan. Just one word, if I may. Personally i would pop the green in and I'd do it now, because if you don't and it doesen't develop along with the others, in your subconscious it will always feel like an 'add-on'. I think it adds to the composition and I would use it (But it ain't my baby!! ;) ) Lovely work in any case.

Here, Here Tim. I agree . Alan all superb stuff as usual. The Green
is just beautiful. But steer your own course with the painting
I'm sure it will be top notch.

progress...

Well, left the painting aside for a few days and then made the decision to add the Wood Sandpiper as originally intended. Have worked on the rock in the background and added a little mud. Intensified the brick red on the Curlew Sandpipers, this will be knocked back in due couse as I add detail. Have a long way to go on the birds as yet, though do not want to over paint this one, quite like the rock loosely rendered as it is...

Attachments

• aaaaaapainting.jpg
    aaaaaapainting.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 113
  • aaaaaadetail.jpg
    aaaaaadetail.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 116
Last edited:
Well, left the painting aside for a few days and then made the decision to add the Wood Sandpiper as originally intended. Have worked on the rock in the background and added a little mud. Intensified the brick red on the Curlew Sandpipers, this will be knocked back in due couse as I add detail. Have a long way to go on the birds as yet, though do not want to over paint this one, quite like the rock loosely rendered as it is...

Love the addition of the Green Sandpiper, saw one recently myself and it took a while for me to correctly identify it!! ~ it looked just how you've painted yours!

(thats not a reflection of your painting abilities btw LOL)

Matt

Last edited:
Looking forward to the finished picture Alan

So am I Arthur. Have had to leave it down again to think about the next steps, not coming east this one! Can be a little frustrating when its like that. The temptation is to plow straight in there without a clear idea of what you want and then it all goes horribly wrong;)

It's really nice to see how people work. I've never scanned stuff as I go along - perhaps I'll give it a go. What's the medium Alan?

I love the colours that are developing here - fantastic contrast between the warm tones of the Curlew Sands and the light on the water - GREAT TALENT!!! Can't wait for finished piece

Last few hours work. Defined/darkened the base of the rock a little to add contrast to the Curlew Sandpiper group. Fair bit of detail then added to the Curlew Sands themselves...
Working on a reasonable sized canvas, about 48"x36", so dont want to get bogged down in too much detail. If i can I want to keep the wholl thing loose enough that it knits together as a whole. Will tackle the water surface next before turning my attention to the Wood Sandpiper in the foreground, then decide whether to add some blades of grass to the background...

Attachments

• Detailpainting.jpg
    Detailpainting.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 114
  • detail1.jpg
    detail1.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 90
  • Detail2.jpg
    Detail2.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:
Very nice. You're managing to keep the intimacy of the original observations really well - even while working on such a huge scale. Definitely going the right way this one.

I really like this composition - something mildly amusing too, rather like the Curlew Sands are wondering what the 'eck that Wood thinks it's doing just strolling through totally unware there's a very important meeting in progress behind him!

Your colours are so refreshing!

Very nice. You're managing to keep the intimacy of the original observations really well - even while working on such a huge scale. Definitely going the right way this one.

Sorry folks, may have mislead slightly due to my confused mind! Canvas is 24 inches x 18 inches. Might make a little more sense now, as a four foot canvas would mean Hagrid sized curlew sandpipers and something akin to an ostrich loping by in the foreground! Do forgive my miscalculation, I say we just dump metric in order to stop all these differing sets of measurements roaming around my poor head;)

Aaaaaah! - Was gonna say - take a bit of acrylic to cover that. Still a very nice size and a very nice piece (finishing it today? ;) ;) ;) )

Almost there...

Wood Sand detail added, have also added purple and blue tones to the bird to help it blend in to the picture. Fair bit done on the water surface. A little way to go yet before the finishing touches are added...

Attachments

• apainting.jpg
    apainting.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 108
  • apaintingdetail.jpg
    apaintingdetail.jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 99
Finally Complete...Autumn passage; Curlew Sandpipers and Wood Sandpiper.

The finished canvas, finally. Was nervous about overpainting this one, so have tried to keep it fairly loose. Canvas is 24"x18", acrylic paint.

Some detailed attachment of the birds added.

Attachments

• aafinishedpainting.jpg
    aafinishedpainting.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 104
  • aawooddetail.jpg
    aawooddetail.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 75
  • aacurlewsanddetail1.jpg
    aacurlewsanddetail1.jpg
    197.2 KB · Views: 85
  • aacurlewsanddetail2.jpg
    aacurlewsanddetail2.jpg
    200.8 KB · Views: 85
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back