• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Frontier Ed x issues? (1 Viewer)

matt green

Norfolkman gone walkabout
Thinking about giving the frontier Ed x 8x42 a second chance, despite a previous example having a faulty diopter I’m still of the opinion these are the best bins available for around £400..having tried a pair recently they did not exhibit any issues with the diopter holding my desired setting after focusing from near to far and vica versa.

Just need to put my mind at rest before pulling the trigger!

Matt

I have their bigger sibling, the Aurora 8x42. I can say that the Verano is a fearsome sharp bin and incredible handling.

I had the 10x 32 and 10 x 42 ED-X. Very impressive optics and excellent value for money and mechanically just superb. I understand there's now a no quibble warranty too. Are my EL's £1300 better, no chance.

Gonna need to steer you this way...

Tried two pairs of those and wasn’t too impressed, inconsistent focus tension and very shallow depth of field..they also felt a bit light and plastic, the previous model (imagic bga vhd) seemed a bit more solid with better quality rubber armouring and eyecups...from memory the 8x32 did have excellent close focus though.

Matt

I had the 10x 32 and 10 x 42 ED-X. Very impressive optics and excellent value for money and mechanically just superb. I understand there's now a no quibble warranty too. Are my EL's £1300 better, no chance.
There are a couple of aspects I prefer in the hawke than the ELs, ie nicer feeling rubber armouring and sensible strap attachments etc, the case is nice quality also which is a significant improvement over the draw string bag that now comes with the latest EL models!

Matt

There are a couple of aspects I prefer in the hawke than the ELs, ie nicer feeling rubber armouring and sensible strap attachments etc, the case is nice quality also which is a significant improvement over the draw string bag that now comes with the latest EL models!

Matt
My warranty replacement pair of EL's came with the draw-string bag last week. I wouldn't use that for my tent pegs. A few days later they sent me the wild-nature bag that I had purchased with the original ones. I keep watching ebay for a pair of Frontiers to keep in the car.

My warranty replacement pair of EL's came with the draw-string bag last week. I wouldn't use that for my tent pegs. A few days later they sent me the wild-nature bag that I had purchased with the original ones. I keep watching ebay for a pair of Frontiers to keep in the car.

Wait, did you just say a 2000 UK Sterling binocular came with a DRAW-STRING bag?

Reminds me of the super cheapo bag my Canon 18x50IS (for over 1,000€) came in. Horrible. A bad joke. But I bought a hard case for it beforehand since I knew about the crappy draw-string bag.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back