• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Frontiers again (1 Viewer)

Veracocha

For the first time in 20 years I talked the wife into coming with me on my annual trip to the Solway Firth. Last week I set off to Sherwoods to get her some decent bins for the trip and surprised myself with what I came away with. I tried several HD offerings from the Opticron & Minox range to name a few but for old times sake thought I would give the old Frontiers a bash while I was there having owned so many of them before. I came away with them, 10 x 42 top hinge for a ridiculous price of just over 200 notes.

For the last two years I have been using the Sapphires and very pleased I am with them but I can't get over just how good these Frontiers are. I forgot how warm the image appears over the Sapphires and I have to admit, I think I like it better. I seriously hope she doesn't like our little trip and gives up on the birding lark quickly.

Sapphires? You are now using Sapphires? How many Frontier EDs did you buy in the end? Twenty, thirty? What happened?

Joking aside, I really hope your wife enjoys the trip to Scotland.

How do you find the Frontier ED Top hinge compared to the dual hinge?

David

Sapphires? You are now using Sapphires? How many Frontier EDs did you buy in the end? Twenty, thirty? What happened?

Joking aside, I really hope your wife enjoys the trip to Scotland.

How do you find the Frontier ED Top hinge compared to the dual hinge?

David

Overall around twelve Frontiers of all ED models/sizes ( a lot of people have benefited from my one in one out policy) :)

Ergonomically I prefer the open hinge and the extra weight for sure but these new Frontiers remind me more of my old Pro-stalks in both handling and image. My Sapphires are open hinge so not a lot of difference again but just a strangely nicer image.

I hope she enjoys it too but as a sun worshiper I recon we'll be home after a few days :(

The Sapphire ED dual hinge and top hinge, were not completely identical optically, but shared most of their chacteristics. The two styles of the Frontier ED seem quite different to me. A long time since I've seen a Prostaff, but the top hinge seems an improvement to me.

Fingers crossed for a heatwave.

David

I preferred the 10 x 42 Frontier when I compared them with the Sapphire fairly recently.

Guess its all down to personal taste.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back