• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Frozen binocs (1 Viewer)

rob220

Much to my total embarrassment my 8 x 32 Victory's wound up in my freezer for 2 days. Just got them out and would love some advise about whether they are cooked and if not the best way to dry them out. Thanks!

I had Sightron Blue Sky ll at minus 40 for three weeks... A couple of days for a quality bin at home freezer temps is nothing to sweat over.

Hi,

should be no problem - if you actually had tried to move the focus at those temperatures, you might have found some stiffness..

Cheers,

Joachim

Slowly slowly does it !
might be a good idea to bag up in a sealed clear freezer bag for a day or so. Do not warm up or leave them in a too warm room un bagged.
Same as cameras and other optics from outside cold conditions too inside warm conditions, wrap them up and take it slow.

Slowly slowly does it !
might be a good idea to bag up in a sealed clear freezer bag for a day or so. Do not warm up or leave them in a too warm room un bagged.
Same as cameras and other optics from outside cold conditions too inside warm conditions, wrap them up and take it slow.
I agree, that is how I handle porros in the winter, prior to bringing them into heated room.

Hello,

Keep the covers on the objectives and oculars before bagging to avoid condensation or freezing.

Your freezer might get down to -10ºC, says -23ºC, which should be no problem. Slow warming in dry environment is the ticket

Edit: One December day, I was in Minneapolis when the temperature hovered around 0ºF, say -18ºC, when I walked into a coffee shop. Water vapour condensed on my glasses and then turned to ice. I had the good sense to avoid wiping the ice off, as I might have scratched the lenses.

Stay safe,
Arthur

Last edited:
Can you teach me something?
Why would you put your Bins in the freezer?
The binocs went missing for a few days. My partner and I have a standing joke "Maybe they are in the freezer?" It was the only place in the house that I didn't look so I decided to do so and there they were. There can't possibly be a reason but I am happy to have them back. Thank you for asking:)

The binocs went missing for a few days. My partner and I have a standing joke "Maybe they are in the freezer?" It was the only place in the house that I didn't look so I decided to do so and there they were. There can't possibly be a reason but I am happy to have them back. Thank you for asking:)
I wonder if you have a mischievous partner with a sense of humour?

Lee

KCFoggin, post 12,
For a long time we put binoculars, offered for testing, in the freezer (minus 20 Celsius) for 24 hours, took them out and left them for a while at room temperature. We never had any problems with the binoculars we tested this way.
Another test procedure consisted of putting the binocular in a device that generates a high frequency of trembling for one minute. And then we took it to the dust cloud of a wood carving machine. None of the investigated binoculars showed any harm and could be operated perfectly after simple cleaning.
Gijs van Ginkel

Household freezers are usually at -18C.

In the freeze dried coffee factory cold room my friend used to work at minus 40C or minus 40F, the same.

I have used cameras and binoculars at minus 30C and lower.
At minus 34C Kodak film broke hopelessly, but Konica film was fine.

The Minolta plastic camera strap was brittle and useless.

I bought two Minolta cameras secondhand from a dealer.
Looking through the viewfinders, dust mites were walking endlessly round both Fresnel screens.

I put the cameras and lenses in the freezer at minus 18C for two days on one day off three times.

However, I was not sure the mites were dealt with.

I gave both cameras and lenses to a friend, explaining what I had done.
This was foolish as the 250mm f/5.6 Minolta mirror lens is now valuable.

I left a fisheye converter overnight in the car at minus 30C and the large front element cracked into two pieces, but other lenses were fine.

I have been out observing often at minus 25C.

Canada reputedly gets down to minus 65C.
The Mounties used Nikon FM2N cameras at minus 50C.

Regards,
B

LOL, thanks rob!

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back