• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Frustrating Little Empids (1 Viewer)

SueO

I thought I had a new bird for my life list this week with a Buff-breasted Flycatcher. The photos were not good enough or thorough enough for corroboration, and I have doubts of my own, so it doesn't get listed. I still think that's what I saw but thinking and knowing are two different things.

Yesterday, I was out again (twice) and found another empid. It seemed so yellow compared to the Pacific Slope/Cordilleran, and the post-ocular 'tear-drop' seemed less pronounced than usual. I remembered there is a Yellow-bellied and some other empid whose name wouldn't come to me that is more 'yellowy'. I thought maybe the Empid Gods were rewarding me for pulling the rug out from under me. As these thoughts swirled around, the bird took off. I was freshly slathered in mosquito repellent and was able to stand fairly still for a bit of time, so I hung around and found him again. I asked if he would please just let me get some good shots for ID, and boy, did he. I was not only able to take my time and focus, but he lifted his wings, held them out, and posed in nearly every angle. I was so stoked! I got a lifer after all! This took place at the beginning of my walk, and I went on with a glad heart, a refreshed spirit, and an eagerness for an even more successful hunt.

So, I get home, download my excellent shots and pull out my books. There is a Yellow-bellied empid and there is a Yellowish empid, however, neither would be seen here. I had either a Pacific Slope or a Cordilleran. Thinking about things, I guess I see these most often in the dry season. It makes since that it would have more color when the feathers reflect the intense green of this forest at the end of the rainy season.

I won't get into the hours (years) I put into the Willow/Alder in Panama until I was finally able to get a positive ID. I feel like I have some kind of Empidonax curse, still, I smile every time I see one of these cruel little birds.

Attachments

• e1.JPG
    e1.JPG
    653.8 KB · Views: 9
  • e2.JPG
    e2.JPG
    423 KB · Views: 9
  • e3.JPG
    e3.JPG
    529.6 KB · Views: 8
  • e5.JPG
    e5.JPG
    494.1 KB · Views: 7
  • e4.JPG
    e4.JPG
    427 KB · Views: 9
Sounds like this will be useful to you.........

Thanks for the tip, Andy. In this case, another book wouldn't help much. Pacific Slope/Cordilleran [Western] can't reliably be identified in the field. Willow/Alder either, unless you hear them and are capable of identifying the call. Apparently, the Westerns can only be identified by hearing the female Cordilleran (lol, at least I think it was the Cordilleran and not the female Pacific Slope). As far as my not remembering that Yellow-bellied isn't here, I'm not sure the book would help with that either since half the time I can't remember why I went to the kitchen. Also, if you notice my comment on this post in the parenthesis.... ;)

Ha ;)

You should still perhaps post on the bird id q and a thread. I wonder if there is anything on the wing formulae there - given you managed to photograph the wings.

I love empids. Especially when they vocalize.
I agree, I love the Empids. We were in Panama for three years and I always awaited the arrival of the empids. Willow and Alder were both present and I worked very hard to ID them. I saw them nearly every day while they were there, and I never heard them. Ridgely mentioned that they only called on the northern migration (I had to go read my old, closed down blog to refresh my memory as to whether it was north or south). Some birders said they called all the time, but I have to agree with Ridgely. I don't have his book with me now or I would post how he phrased it. I finally did record a call May 8, 2012. A Willow. I can't tell you the hours I put in. Before I responded here, I was telling my husband that I remembered seeing one empid attack another while I was watching it. I found that I had written that story on the blog, so I copied it:

The Empids are still here, still silent. I have come to terms with the fact that I will not get to list them and I am just enjoing watching them. Yesterday, I was watching one perched on a chain link fence. I was willing him to talk when left his perch and flew across the field the fence surrounds. I watched him as he dive-bombed another Empid who was sitting on the fence on the other side. There was loud bill-snapping and wings flapping as they fell toward the ground locked in battle. They broke apart before hitting the ground. One flew into the trees of the forest and the second was in hot pursuit.

I also found this (Sept/2012)
When I got back to Peregrine and downloaded my photos, I was struck by how worn the wing feathers were; ragged at the edges. I felt empathy for the poor little thing. By the look on the range maps, if it is an Alder, it might have come all the way from Alaska! It's so small and that is such a feat. There have been times out on the ocean when weather and big seas and lack of sleep and sea sickness has weakened me, and there was nothing to do but continue on with all I had. Yet my longest crossing is nothing compared to what this little flycatcher has accomplished. It truly is amazing.
As long as I am drawing comparisons, I should mention that many times I have questioned my intelligence and sanity for going around the world in a small boat and I have to wonder why in the world birds migrate. There is plenty of food here year round for most of the migrating species. Why wouldn't they just stay in Central and South America? I realize the boreal forests in Canada are spectacular, but are they that good? It just seems so crazy.
I'm really happy to see these birds arrive and I look forward to finding and watching them over the next few months. I'm not sure why I've developed this almost obsessive attraction to the empids, but I'm captivated.

Ha ;)

You should still perhaps post on the bird id q and a thread. I wonder if there is anything on the wing formulae there - given you managed to photograph the wings.
Hi Dan. Haven't looked at the Garden List for a while; no doubt you're kicking my ass and I am DFL. I need to add Bushtits. I'm too embarrassed to put it up after putting up the "Buff-breasted" a few days ago. At any rate, I think DNA is the only way to tell which is which. I read a paper saying that sometimes even in the hand or specimens can't be identified. I am just going to enjoy seeing them. I don't get as big a kick from them as I did the Willow/Alder, but I still love seeing them. I do have a Pacific Slope on my life list. Found it at my place in rural San Diego County. No Cordillerans there.

Hi Dan. Haven't looked at the Garden List for a while; no doubt you're kicking my ass and I am DFL. I need to add Bushtits. I'm too embarrassed to put it up after putting up the "Buff-breasted" a few days ago. At any rate, I think DNA is the only way to tell which is which. I read a paper saying that sometimes even in the hand or specimens can't be identified. I am just going to enjoy seeing them. I don't get as big a kick from them as I did the Willow/Alder, but I still love seeing them. I do have a Pacific Slope on my life list. Found it at my place in rural San Diego County. No Cordillerans there.
No, I'm on DNF (Did Not Finish*), no idea what I'm on...next year maybe ;-)

Yes, just enjoy (y) They know what they are.

*(DFL = ??)

No, I'm on DNF (Did Not Finish*), no idea what I'm on...next year maybe ;-)

Yes, just enjoy (y) They know what they are.;)

*(DFL = ??)
Picked up DFL from my husband. I'm pretty sure racing sailors coined it, but I don't doubt it applies to other things now. Dead F'ing Last.;)

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back