• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Frustration (1 Viewer)

snowyowl

A couple of weeks ago my neighbour from across the road left me voice mail to tell me that there was Barnacle Goose mixed in with a flock of Canada Geese feeding in my field. I can't easily see that part of the field from the house so I hadn't seen the bird. I didn't check my voice mails regularly and missed the message until the after the bird left. It had stayed around for a couple of days. I missed a lifer and a mega rarity for this area.

Console yourself that it was likely an escapee ;)
Or not. Presume this refers to birds recorded in Canada not UK. Birding mates in Ottawa area have had a wandering Barnacle with mixed geese flocks earlier this year and again recently (in addition to a real mega: Tundra Bean Goose).

Or not. Presume this refers to birds recorded in Canada not UK. Birding mates in Ottawa area have had a wandering Barnacle with mixed geese flocks earlier this year and again recently (in addition to a real mega: Tundra Bean Goose).
Yep, Canada; ref. Sibley "Barnacle ... many records refer to escapes" (y)

I got another phone call from the same neighbour. He could see a large raptor type bird sitting in one of our spruce trees on the far side of our land. Would I take a look and identify it for him? I searched the trees but couldn't see it. He added that it was sitting near the tree that the Bald Eagle hangs out in. I knew then that I was out of luck because I can't see that tree from the house. Our small barn blocks the view. The sad fact is that our neighbour across the road can monitor our place much more easily I can. I hope he keeps calling me because you never know what might turn up.

Frustration is the right title for this thread Dan LOL. I do know how you feel... it's like being told "you should have been here 5 minutes ago!)

Sound like you need to install CCTV cameras covering that part of your land!! :ROFLMAO:

Think I'd better 🏃‍♀️ and hide:eek:

Frustration is the right title for this thread Dan LOL. I do know how you feel... it's like being told "you should have been here 5 minutes ago!)

Sound like you need to install CCTV cameras covering that part of your land!! :ROFLMAO:

Think I'd better 🏃‍♀️ and hide:eek:
I might just have to do that. I can picture a mast above my roof with a spy camera up there that I could rotate in all directions, zoom in, take pictures. That would be pretty cool!

I might just have to do that. I can picture a mast above my roof with a spy camera up there that I could rotate in all directions, zoom in, take pictures. That would be pretty cool!
LOL it would, wouldn't it Dan.

Longing to see if it happens! ;)

Yep, Canada; ref. Sibley "Barnacle ... many records refer to escapes" (y)
That Sibley reference is out of date. Barnacle Geese in the NE of the US and Canada are largely considered genuine vagrants nowadays, and most years there are multiple Barnacle and Pink-footed Geese overwintering stateside.

I think we have all had bits of frustration before. I've made 9 attempts over the years at Ruddy Ground-dove for my ABA list, and have missed everytime, sometimes by minutes. If its any consolation, Barnacles are becoming more regular, so you will probably get another chance at one.

The only ones I've seen outside the UK, were a small flock which flew across the bow of a sightseeing boat I was on in Helsnki a few years ago, I assume that birds up there are genuine?

It was late May or June I think so presumably breeding birds from the Russian population?

Last edited:
A tricky one Andy, when we visited Helsinki in mid May 2017, the first day we found them wandering around the parks and quite tame, I was gutted as I'd never thought the Barnacles I'd seen in England were the real deal. Next day hundreds were migrating high heading north, result!!

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back