• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fuerteventura & Lanzarote (1 Viewer)

Diedert

United Kingdom
Hi all,
Going to Fuerteventura & Lanzarote for a 10 day holiday with the significant other, so not a full birding trip.
However, I can manage to get several days to look for the target species, but I was mostly wondering if anyone would have any intel on which pelagics/whale watching companies from one of these islands is recommended and known for also seeing some bird species (hopefully targets such as White-faced Storm Petrel, Barolo, or great mammals) and don't just go out to 'see dolphins'.
Also, does anyone know a good resource for daily sightings/reports online?

Thanks for any and all advice!

Make sure you visit Centro Comercial Atlántico Fuerteventura, Antigua ES-Palmas (28.3864,-13.8639) near Caleta de Fuste, specifically a pool at the back of a small shopping centre for the Red-billed Tropicbird that is sometimes seen there. It has been seen recently there but I cannot tell you how regularly so it might be a bit of a wild goose chase. Otherwise, the coast adjacent to Tindaya Plain may produce the tropicbirds - mid afternoon is best strangely (I can give you coordinates if you want to try). Try seawatching from the southern tip of Lanzarote late afternoon from Faro de Punta Pechiguera. You need a scope though. Any prominent cove can be productive.

Unfortunately Barolo are easier on Tenerife, and White-faced are very unlikely but perhaps not impossible. Maybe contact 'Lanzarote Pelagics' but I'm not aware of any seabird pelagics that routinely go from either island, but I could be wrong. They are based on the northern tip of Lanzarote at Orzola. The ferry between Fuerteventura and Lanzarote may be your best hope for something like Barolo and Bulwer's petrel, especially late afternoon/early evening. Foot passenger fees aren't much so you could go and return ( your very own mini-pelagic).

I have also a coordinate for Slender-billed barn Owl (not full species) near Orzola on Lanzarote.

Not much help really :)-. I think there is a Canary Islands birding facebook website.

Hi all,
Going to Fuerteventura & Lanzarote for a 10 day holiday with the significant other, so not a full birding trip.
However, I can manage to get several days to look for the target species, but I was mostly wondering if anyone would have any intel on which pelagics/whale watching companies from one of these islands is recommended and known for also seeing some bird species (hopefully targets such as White-faced Storm Petrel, Barolo, or great mammals) and don't just go out to 'see dolphins'.
Also, does anyone know a good resource for daily sightings/reports online?

Thanks for any and all advice!
There is a whale watching boat goes out from Calete de Fuste and I have seen Barolo Shearwater both times I went out with them, I saw Madeiran Storm Petrel the first time, my wife saw another that I missed on the second trip. Our trips were in November and October. They leave from the Marina at Caleta and we had to purchase tickets there, they did not have an online presence that I could find.

David

The ferry from Fuert to Gran Canaria produced plenty of Bulwers when I did it a few years ago. With a scope far more would be possible too as it's a big ship so rock steady.

Thanks all for your replies! Very much appreciate your help and info.

Make sure you visit Centro Comercial Atlántico Fuerteventura, Antigua ES-Palmas (28.3864,-13.8639) near Caleta de Fuste, specifically a pool at the back of a small shopping centre for the Red-billed Tropicbird that is sometimes seen there. It has been seen recently there but I cannot tell you how regularly so it might be a bit of a wild goose chase. Otherwise, the coast adjacent to Tindaya Plain may produce the tropicbirds - mid afternoon is best strangely (I can give you coordinates if you want to try). Try seawatching from the southern tip of Lanzarote late afternoon from Faro de Punta Pechiguera. You need a scope though. Any prominent cove can be productive.

Unfortunately Barolo are easier on Tenerife, and White-faced are very unlikely but perhaps not impossible. Maybe contact 'Lanzarote Pelagics' but I'm not aware of any seabird pelagics that routinely go from either island, but I could be wrong. They are based on the northern tip of Lanzarote at Orzola. The ferry between Fuerteventura and Lanzarote may be your best hope for something like Barolo and Bulwer's petrel, especially late afternoon/early evening. Foot passenger fees aren't much so you could go and return ( your very own mini-pelagic).

I have also a coordinate for Slender-billed barn Owl (not full species) near Orzola on Lanzarote.

Not much help really :)-. I think there is a Canary Islands birding facebook website.

I've got that point noted on my maps already, thanks though. Still debating whether or not to squeeze in a scope, since I'm travelling with my SO and not full-on birding.

I've contacted Lanzarote, which seems defunct at the moment, and asked local birder Eduardo Garcia-del-Rey but he didn't know of any dedicated bird-pelagics, so my hope is to do one of those whalewatching trips.

If you could send me the GPS for the Slender-billed Barn Owl on Lanzarote (via DM's, if preferred), that would be much appreciated!
There is a whale watching boat goes out from Calete de Fuste and I have seen Barolo Shearwater both times I went out with them, I saw Madeiran Storm Petrel the first time, my wife saw another that I missed on the second trip. Our trips were in November and October. They leave from the Marina at Caleta and we had to purchase tickets there, they did not have an online presence that I could find.

David
Would you happen to know their name? It seems there are several suppliers currently running from Caleta (perhaps their quality does not differ much), and Barolo would be a most wanted species!

Is this the company you went with? This seems like a bit of a vague 'link-through' website, imo.

I've got that point noted on my maps already, thanks though. Still debating whether or not to squeeze in a scope, since I'm travelling with my SO and not full-on birding.

I've contacted Lanzarote, which seems defunct at the moment, and asked local birder Eduardo Garcia-del-Rey but he didn't know of any dedicated bird-pelagics, so my hope is to do one of those whalewatching trips.

If you could send me the GPS for the Slender-billed Barn Owl on Lanzarote (via DM's, if preferred), that would be much appreciated!

Would you happen to know their name? It seems there are several suppliers currently running from Caleta (perhaps their quality does not differ much), and Barolo would be a most wanted species!

Is this the company you went with? This seems like a bit of a vague 'link-through' website, imo.
Puerto Castillo
+34 928 54 76 87
You book the trips here, in person. I still don’t think they book online. You may be able to book through an agent.

David

Well aware of the obvious places, like your tour report, but that at least confirms my suspicion there are no other resources than those.
As far as I saw when preparing, the main source of info on fuerteventura are visiting birders… you probably saw I mentioned some whale species I saw from the ferry between fuerteventura and Gran Canaria, but they were firmly within gran Canarian waters.

Hi Diedert

Yeah it doesn't surprise me that Lanzarote Pelagics are more or less inoperative for large parts of the year, they only do a few overnight pelagics in September as far as I know, to see the rarer petrels way out.

For that Red-Billed Tropicbird at Atlantico shopping centre, there is a car park right next to it. I would check around 7am and 5pm-7pm, to maximise chances, otherwise they may be seen off the Caletta coastline but again with difficulty. For some reason mid afternoon can be best here, I have referred to a good sea-watching point off the Tindaya plain in my reports on Fuerteventura and Lanzarote (Vacational Trip Reports). But its still hit and miss and there is very little else to see on the sea. You will obviously need a scope for seawatching, but the bird at the shopping centre is very close.

Sorry I didn't use any other company, I just googled the company who I saw did pelagics from that area of Fuerteventura but I suspect you may only be able to book once there. I would have hoped you would have a good chance of Bulwer's Petrel from any pelagic.

Several vague reports have mentioned Slender-billed Barn Owl near Orzola, I can happily give you coordinates but it was based on one visit only. But I expect they are loyal to the same general area when they hunt. Anyway, the bird I saw was about half a mile south of Orzola on the LZ204 on a white electricity tower at 29.20764, -13.45183. It seemed to use this as a perch as all the scattered buildings in the area are single-storey bungalows.

Good luck

Best wishes, Nick

Thanks Nick!

I've done the three-day pelagic off Madeira, so not many targets remaining and certainly had my fill of Bulwer's, but we'll give a try!
Thanks for de S-b BO location. I hope I'll get lucky on Fuerteventura like Lieven and don't have to try multiple evenings, but we'll see.

Thanks all for all comments so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back