• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

FUJINON HC (Hyper-Clarity) new roof prism binos (1 Viewer)

Beth,

You spoke of the Olympus pro. Allbinos did a review on either the 8 or 10X42. The only real issue after viewing one myself at a Camera Store was the low transmission I observed when viewing them, in fact the claimed number was significantly higher than measured.

Andy W.

Beth,

You spoke of the Olympus pro. Allbinos did a review on either the 8 or 10X42. The only real issue after viewing one myself at a Camera Store was the low transmission I observed when viewing them, in fact the claimed number was significantly higher than measured.

Andy W.
I remember the allbinos review; they liked the bino overall but the only negative was the somewhat dim image. This probably wouldn't bother me too much. I have my nit picks, but this isn't usually one of them.

A 2 page 3.5 MB brochure for the HC can be found at: https://www.fujifilm.com/au/en/consumer/binoculars/hc/catalog
(there was previously a link on the international site but it did not open)
See the 2 pages from the brochure

In response to Beth’s question in post #52, Fuji is stressing that the HC is manufactured in Japan: see the bottom of the first page

John

Attachments

• Fuji HC 1.jpg
    Fuji HC 1.jpg
    274.1 KB · Views: 35
  • Fuji HC 2.jpg
    Fuji HC 2.jpg
    567.5 KB · Views: 39
I found the HC 8x42 available in Germany, so I ordered one from there, and it just arrived. Finish and mechanics are impeccable, the feel is high quality. I may write a review once I have compared the optics of theHC to „similar“ 8x42s.

Canip

Well, for those interested in the subject, here are some initial thoughts and findings:

Introduction
The ancient Greeks used the term υπέρ {hypér} to describe situations or properties that were "over and above", "beyond". So Fujifilm's** new roof prism binocular labelled "HYPER-CLARITY" is raising high expectations: an instrument with an image "beyond clarity"?
;-)
Although it is not exactly clear in which sense the term "clarity" is used here - is it brightness, transparency, lucidity, sharpness or all of those together?

It has been years since Fujifilm came out with a new non-stabilized binocular. Looking at the price tag for the Fujinon HC, available as 8x42 or 10x42, Fujifilm seems to target the upper middle class binocular market, where you find the likes of Meopta's MeoStar, the Leica Trinovid HD, Zeiss Conquest HD, Nikon Monarch HG, etc.

The initial impression of the HC is quite positive: is is very well finished, mechanically impeccable - focusing mechanism, eyecups, central hinge, diopter adjustment, everything is working smoothly and precisely -, with pleasant haptics and good ergonomics, giving the impression of a solid and well made piece of equipment.

Funny detail: Fujinon’s technical specification sheet lists the linear field of view as „136 m“, which translates into an angular RFOV of 7.8 degrees; but the mark printed on the underside of the left tube reads „8.0“ degrees, which would correspond to 140 m linear field of view (my own measurement produces a value of 7.7 degrees = 135m).
Another initial finding: magnification is actually a bit higher than stated in the specs, 8.2x vs. 8.0x, leading to an exit pupil diameter slightly below the spec (5.1 mm instead of 5.25 mm).

A review of the optical performance will follow early 2021 to determine how good the HC is and whether or not the label "Hyper-Clarity" is justified. The plan is to include the following 8x42s: MeoStar, Trinovid HD, Conquest HD, Monarch HG, Kite Ibis ED, Kowa BD II and Swarovski SLC.

** The company producing and selling the Fujinon line of binoculars is Fujifilm Corporation of Japan.

Specifications:
Objective diameter: 42 mm
True aperture (measured): 42 mm
Exit pupil diameter (acc. to spec): 5.25 mm
Exit pupil diameter (measured): 5.1 mm
Magnification (acc. to spec): 8 x
True magnification (measured): 8.2 x
Eye relief (acc. to spec): 18 mm
Useable eye relief (measured from rim of eyecup): 14.5 mm
IPD (acc. to spec): 57 - 76 mm
IPD (measured): 58 - 75 mm
RFOV (acc. to spec): 7.8 degrees = 136 m
RFOV (measured): 7.7 degrees = 135 m
AFOV (measured): 59.5 degrees
Focus type: CF
Prism system: Schmidt-Pechan
Waterproof: yes
Weight (measured, with eyepiece cover and strap): 865 g
Made in: Japan

---------------------------------

to be continued
Canip

Attachments

• Fujinon HC a.jpg
    468.5 KB · Views: 53
  • Fujinon HC b.jpg
    493.1 KB · Views: 48
  • Fujinon HC c.jpg
    438.5 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
ok, thanks for the clarification. I doubt there will be people lining up in anticipation for this new binocular, so we may never get a hands on review of it here. But, I wonder if it could be a high quality binocular that nobody will ever discover. Also, I wonder who manufactured it? Does Fujinon manufacture their binoculars ?
We will also get our hands on these next week. I placed a order for the 8x42 version. I found BH Photo with the best price with expedited shipping. It’s design I found intriguing. I enlarged the underside of the hinge ... labeled Made in Japan. Looks to be a solid made single hinge compact 42mm binocular. I will give my opinion of these after I get my hands on them.

Last edited:
Well, for those interested in the subject, here are some initial thoughts and findings:

Introduction
The ancient Greeks used the term υπέρ {hypér} to describe situations or properties that were "over and above", "beyond". So Fujifilm's** new roof prism binocular labelled "HYPER-CLARITY" is raising high expectations: an instrument with an image "beyond clarity"?
;-)
Although it is not exactly clear in which sense the term "clarity" is used here - is it brightness, transparency, lucidity, sharpness or all of those together?

It has been years since Fujifilm came out with a new non-stabilized binocular. Looking at the price tag for the Fujinon HC, available as 8x42 or 10x42, Fujifilm seems to target the upper middle class binocular market, where you find the likes of Meopta's MeoStar, the Leica Trinovid HD, Zeiss Conquest HD, Nikon Monarch HG, etc.

The initial impression of the HC is quite positive: is is very well finished, mechanically impeccable - focusing mechanism, eyecups, central hinge, diopter adjustment, everything is working smoothly and precisely -, with pleasant haptics and good ergonomics, giving the impression of a solid and well made piece of equipment.

Funny detail: Fujinon’s technical specification sheet lists the linear field of view as „136 m“, which translates into an angular RFOV of 7.8 degrees; but the mark printed on the underside of the left tube reads „8.0“ degrees, which would correspond to 140 m linear field of view (my own measurement produces a value of 7.7 degrees = 135m).
Another initial finding: magnification is actually a bit higher than stated in the specs, 8.2x vs. 8.0x, leading to an exit pupil diameter slightly below the spec (5.1 mm instead of 5.25 mm).

A review of the optical performance will follow early 2021 to determine how good the HC is and whether or not the label "Hyper-Clarity" is justified. The plan is to include the following 8x42s: MeoStar, Trinovid HD, Conquest HD, Monarch HG, Kite Ibis ED, Kowa BD II and Swarovski SLC.

** The company producing and selling the Fujinon line of binoculars is Fujifilm Corporation of Japan.

Specifications:
Exit pupil diameter (measured): 5.1 x

to be continued
Canip
Canip .. The ocular lens seem to be of good size ? With the actual eye relief, do you think these will provide adequate eye relief to eye glass wearers ?

Introduction
;-)

Specifications:
Exit pupil diameter (measured): 5.1 x

to be continued
Canip
Nice Pictures

Canip .. The ocular lens seem to be of good size ? With the actual eye relief, do you think these will provide adequate eye relief to eye glass wearers ?
Depends on your glasses and face anatomy. It works on my face and with my glasses.

Hello Canip, please write which well known binoculars you consider comparable/similar to the Fujinon HC 8x42. You will probably need 2 comparative binoculars, because of mechanics/focus/ergonomics and optics / veiling glare, stray light. Please also check spikes of the roof edge prisms. Thanks in advance. Jessie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back