• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fulica atra (Eurasian Coot) Skull (1 Viewer)

Octane

Hi! I found a dead common coot a couple of days ago, the tissue on its head was almost completely gone (skull was visible), but I figured I'd try and salvage the skull. The cleaning process went well, but it fell apart in a few too many pieces for my liking. It's missing the left quadrate and lacrimal bones. I assume that E is the left pterygoid, but it has to be heavily deformed (but I've seen this before), so I'm not entirely sure.

My main concerns are about A, B, C and D. At first I thought that B-D were teeth (thinking it was attacked and killed by a small predator), but upon closer inspection I noticed that there were two of each, which is too much of a coincidence (additionally, there are no bite marks present on the skull itself). B and C also don't look like teeth I've seen before. As for A, I've seen it before in another bird skull, but I've been able to figure out what it is.

thumbnail_IMG_20200818_113025__01.jpg

I have several dissection guides and I've sourced the internet, but information on coot skulls is limited. I was wondering if any of you have any idea what these bones are called and where they belong. Much appreciated!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back