• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Full Allbinos review of the NL 12x42 (1 Viewer)

NL Review.

:t::t::t:

I feel the same Chuck, the 12X42 has the smallest FOV differential of the three (if compared to other premium glass in the same format), the 12X50 SV will be better at low light anyhow. I think they are going to sell a ton of 10X.

Andy W.
I had the 12x50 SV but got issue with eye relief since I wear glasses so I traded it. However I always missed the level of details given by the 12x. So I got the NL 12x with the headrest and really happy about it!

Jcnguyeno9,

Too bad about the ER on the SV 12X50, but it looks like the 12X42 NL works well for you. I do not wear glasses and primarily use the SV 12X50 more on the night sky along with the SE 12X50, (I like the greater reach of 12X over 10X.

Andy W.

I had the 12x50 SV but got issue with eye relief since I wear glasses so I traded it. However I always missed the level of details given by the 12x. So I got the NL 12x with the headrest and really happy about it!
The Swaro 12x50 have less ER than the 10x50, and that's one of the reasons I like the 12x: w/o glasses I can get closer to the EP and get a more immersive view and less glare.

Jcnguyeno9,

Too bad about the ER on the SV 12X50, but it looks like the 12X42 NL works well for you. I do not wear glasses and primarily use the SV 12X50 more on the night sky along with the SE 12X50, (I like the greater reach of 12X over 10X.

Andy W.

Are the NL 12x42's compatible with eyeglasses? I was thinking about the 10x42's for eye relief with glasses.

Hello sidpost,

that viewing behavior with binoculars is always very individual, the shape of the face plays a role, how deep the eyes are, how does it fit with the eyeglasses, far or nearsighted.
I am an eyeglasses user myself and with some binoculars it just doesn't fit when other eyeglasses users can use them.
It is best to try binoculars yourself for several days anyway and don't do it quickly in the shop, the beauty of some glasses sometimes only comes through daily use.

Andreas

Are the NL 12x42's compatible with eyeglasses? I was thinking about the 10x42's for eye relief with glasses.
You should try it to find out. I can tell you that it's great with glasses for me. Much better than the EL series. I have no problem to see the entire view with glasses on.

You should try it to find out. I can tell you that it's great with glasses for me. Much better than the EL series. I have no problem to see the entire view with glasses on.

For me, finding bins like this in stock is a real challenge so, whether I buy online or in-store, I'm unlikely to see them in person prior to purchasing, or a commitment to buy with a retail order. With super-expensive binoculars like these, in-person demos for me are a real challenge with the Walmart mentality that reigns supreme in many things around here. :rolleyes:

I have a friend with deep pockets that focus on "best value", often at the exclusion of all else, which tends to cause him to buy a product that really doesn't do what he wants it to in some cases. I get paying 80% for 98% of functionality but, paying 50% for 75% is often the end result with this mentality IMHO. And, sometimes paying 100% for 100% of functionality is best! ;)

Sidpost,

I Believe the ergonomics of the eyecups could be adapted with the NLs, and they all have sufficient Eye relief. I have heard good things about the 10X42.

Andy W.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back