• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Full frame query. (1 Viewer)

If you think that MP is the only thing that matters than why have you got the 1D4 (16.1MP) and 1.3 crop when you could have a 7D (18MP and 1.6 crop)????
(BTW the 1DX has 18.1 mp and the 1D4 16.1 so not the same amount of MP).

Buying a full frame Camera just to be able to crop the image heavily is completely counterproductive IMO but each to their own I guess :t:

i bought the 1d 4 because it was superior on AF and some other things .

When you want a 1D body now and in the future than you are limited to full frame.

i bought the 1d 4 because it was superior on AF and some other things .

When you want a 1D body now and in the future than you are limited to full frame.

The 1dx AF is amazing and the detail its full frame sensor captures is better than the 1d 4 sensor,there is no problem having a camera with a full frame sensor

i went from 1.6 crop cameras to a 1D3 and find it superb ,the 10mp is a limiting factor slightly but the i/q makes up for it and then some .certainly would not consider going back to a 1.6 crop anytime soon

Not for the 1 series but maybe the 7D II or whatever they call it will be a good upgrade as it will be Canon's premier crop Camera - although I bet it will cost a few bob!!!

I've been waiting for the 7D2 for quite a while but have now gone for the 5D3. I may get a 7D2 if it's APSH but that's hardly likely.

Interestingly, by reading this topic it seems that those who bought a FF camera never looked back and those who haven't tried one say they will never use one until it has a certain amount of pixels... :)

I think you have a good point there! I started with a 1.6 crop and thought it was the business! Then I bought the original 5D (still have it + still love it!) but it was too slow for wildlife use. I then went to a 1D4 - best of both worlds? In many ways yes but the 6D, 5D3 + 1DX have both newer sensors and processing hardware/software so much, if not all, of the FF disadvantage has gone.
I know many people who have moved to larger sensor cameras and been delighted but this has gone along with a move to newer technology, so is it the sensor or the technology that they are appreciating? A bit of both perhaps?

I've been waiting for the 7D2 for quite a while but have now gone for the 5D3. I may get a 7D2 if it's APSH but that's hardly likely.
I suspect it will be a APS-C when it comes. But I would not write it off what with the improvements in Camera technology over the years - I would not be surprised if a current 1.6 cropper was not as good or even better than a 7 year old APS-H (1D3) or even a 4 year old 1D4 #thingsmoveon

I find it amazing that with all the talk about the 5D III, no one has mentioned the 6D. We bought one as my wife has become a semi pro family photographer, but it only took a bit of research to find out it actually handles noise better than the 5D III, albeit marginally, but it's a massive saving for just a few less features. Going from a 650D, the overall improvement in IQ is huge and as others have said, wouldn't go back.

Unfortunately one of the few less features is af, which for birders is fairly crucial ! I ended up with the 5d for that reason even though I read that 6d image quality was slightly improved.

I bought the 5D3 for it's high ISO and AF performance in low/poor light conditions, giving me the necessary high shutter speeds for long lens/converter combinations and haven't been disappointed. The 6FPS is also a bonus over the 6D for birding and the IQ is excellent, allowing cropping when required.
Along with my 7D for the occasions when I know I will need the extra reach, I think it ticks the right boxes, and wouldn't be without it now.

Ian

Last edited:
I find it amazing that with all the talk about the 5D III, no one has mentioned the 6D. We bought one as my wife has become a semi pro family photographer, but it only took a bit of research to find out it actually handles noise better than the 5D III, albeit marginally, but it's a massive saving for just a few less features. Going from a 650D, the overall improvement in IQ is huge and as others have said, wouldn't go back.
Although the 6D is right up in terms of IQ and high ISO noise levels it is poles apart when it comes to the AF system against the 5D3 (and even more so against the 1DX). If you just wanted a Camera for still life/landscape or static(ish) wildlife stuff then the 6D is a superb buy. The overall AF performance of the 6D is reckoned by many better judges than me to be about equal to the 5DII which was never consider an action Camera.

When I went FF I thought long and hard about the 6D as my main use was intended to be landscapes and macro, but in the end I decided that if I ever wanted to get back into wildlife/action stuff then it had to be the 5D3 which would give me the best of both worlds (1DX excepted of course!).

Last edited:
Best photographer I know uses a 1d3 and puts most people who use a 1dX to shame. It ain't all about the gear folks.
That's stating the obvious :t: There are folk that can do better with the new Tammy 150-600 than some folks can with the likes the Canon 600/4 or 800/5.6 but it does not stop people paying obscene amounts for the big whites!!!!
p.s. I bet your friend could do even better with a 1dX ;)

Last edited:
I agree with both Joe and Roy ref. the 6D. I went for this camera principally for macro and relatively static birds. The IQ is stunning, and the low light / high iso performance is fabulous. Yes, the AF system on the 5D III is much better for fast movers and fliers - the 6D has limited AF points - but the 5D III is a pricier beast.
However, I have found the 6D to be an excellent birding camera for winter use given the that British winter light is pretty p***s most of the time.
Alongside the 7D it gives me a bit of choice - the decision then is which body to go out with....

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back