• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fungi ID : White Fibrecap? (1 Viewer)

Andrew

wibble wibble
Hello,

After an evening IDing fungi I need help on one that vexes me. I think this might be White Fibrecap. Can anyone shed any light on it for me?

Am I even on the right track?

It was found in Knightshayes in Mid-Devon.

Thanks,
Andrew.

Attachments

• BF WHITE FIBRECAP 01.JPG
    BF WHITE FIBRECAP 01.JPG
    224.7 KB · Views: 62
  • BF WHITE FIBRECAP 02.JPG
    BF WHITE FIBRECAP 02.JPG
    251.4 KB · Views: 51
Very tricky Andrew.

I can't make out whether the gills are adnexed or not from the photo but it does have the clay/buff gills which can be a pointer with older specimens of Inocybe geophylla but i feel to tricky to be sure.

Thanks again Dave, that looks like another one that has to slip through the net then. I shall need to adopt a rigorous approach next year by identifying them in the field if I can as doing it from photographs no matter how detailed has proven time consuming. Better to come away with five good identifications than twenty pictures I think.

It's really hard Andrew to id fungi in general as they can be so variable throughout the season.I have recently got into the habit of as many gill,stem and cap shots as possible.Spore print and dissection are also very useful.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back