• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Galerida cristata magdae Loudon & Sarudny, 1903 (1 Viewer)

Taphrospilus

Galerida cristata magdae Loudon & Sarudny, 1903 here

The Eponym Dictionary of Birds claims:

Crested Lark ssp. Galerida cristata magdae Loudon & Zarudny, 1903 NCR [JS Galerida cristata caucasica]
Baroness Magda zur Mühlen von Loudon (b.1876) was the wife of Baron Harald von Loudon (q.v.).

The old key:
Magda Margaretha Lolli Maria von Zur-Mühlen Baronin von Loudon (1876-?1931) wife of Austrian naturalist and explorer Harald Freiherr von Loudon (syn. Galerida cristata caucasica).

Probably here . If died in 1931 might be a question to more skilled people than me.

Quick one ...

And here she's (again): Magda Margaretha Lolli Maria von zur Mühlen (similar to the Key entry), versus here; Magda Margaretha Lilly Maria Frhr. [Freiherrin, close to Baroness] von Loudon (née von zur Mühlen).

Wonderful name!

Looks like she was simply Magda in every-day-life (at least among friends and Family)

Good luck untangling it!

/B

One (minor) detail, or tiny, tiny thing, that seems to remain, seemingly (still) unanswered, re. magdae, and the full name of the dedicatee, "our lady" Magda, (who apparently passed in 1931!), wife of one of the two Authors, (the equally originally Baltic) alt. 'Russian', later 'German', Nobleman and Ornithologist; Baron/Freiherr Harald (Georg Gideon) von Loudon (1876–1959) ...

As one of their Children/Daughter allegedly was/became; "Ilse Lolli Benita Von Sanders" (née Loudon), at least according to this certain MyHeritage page, I would assume that the same (middle, given) name, of "our lady", her Mother Magda, ought to have been Lolli (instead of 'Lilly'). At least to me the former has a far more Baltic/Estonian ring to it, versus the/a more 'English' Lilly.

Also compare with this little girl (even if she's far later, born in 1906), but probably related in some way ...

For what it's worth.

/B

PS. And, Paul, well done finding Magda's Death year! :oops: As I read your post #2 directly after it was posted, shortly before I posted mine (#3), I nearly missed that PS., and the added BBLD-link/document!(y)

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back