• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gallery image Shikra v Besra (1 Viewer)

Deb Burhinus

Used to be well known! 😎
Europe
Do people think this looks better for a juvenile Shikra with the dark grey orbital ring and narrow tail bands?

It would be good to get a definitive agreement - this image came up on the search tag linked to OPUS when I was browsing the gallery yesterday- clearly OPUS links need to be correctly labelled otherwise what’s the point? I believe it is a Shikra but given it’s an already IDed Opus image of a Besra, it should be confirmed by more than one person to change it.

Thanks for flagging this up Deb.

I'll watch the results of the discussion.

After checking OBC Image Database, both orbital ring and tail pattern clearly better for Shikra which has primary projection almost identical to Besra

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back