• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

gallery images - Red-shouldered Hawk (1 Viewer)

Deb Burhinus

Used to be well known! 😎
Europe
Just seeking extra confirmation for the gallery that these ‘Cooper’s’ are both Red-shouldered Hawks (incorrectly labelled) since there seems to be a difference of opinion and the OP didn’t seem to like my suggestion (100 % sure myself but the OP needs more convincing I think ) (they have now been relabelled as ‘Hawk’!)

Last edited:

rkj

Red-shouldered; among other things, the tail is much too short for a Cooper's Hawk.

Joern Lehmhus

Also to me this is a redshouldered, as you said Deb. The general shape, tail length and tail pattern all point to this species, also that the dark tail bands are much broader than the white bands.

Last edited:

Microtus

Maryland USA (he/him)
Supporter
United States
Red-shouldered for sure: the shape of the perched bird including the short tail, and the black and white on the primaries.

alanc

Just an earthbound misfit
On the subject of RSH's. back in 2009 I was birding in a very small park on the Florida Keys. My peaceful stroll around the park was noisily interrupted by a
State Park gardener with a very noisy motorised grass mower. I sat on a bench to wait for him to finish when to my amazement a RSH joined me on the bench!. The gardener looked over a grinned - explaining that "Red" as he called him, always joined him in the park to snap up any goodies disturbed during the mowing. I couldn't believe my luck in getting so close to such a stunning bird - he happily posed for some pictures,

Attachments

• DSC_0015.JPG
    DSC_0015.JPG
    840.9 KB · Views: 8
  • DSC_0009.JPG
    DSC_0009.JPG
    700 KB · Views: 8

Deb Burhinus

Used to be well known! 😎
Europe
Red-shouldered for sure: the shape of the perched bird including the short tail, and the black and white on the primaries.
Thanks.

I left a message for the OP -perhaps if he sees this thread he will be convinced - I don’t think my words carried much weight despite seeing RSH regularly in the States 🙄

Users who are viewing this thread