• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gambia info please! (1 Viewer)

leonardo_simon

I'm thinking of a family package holiday to the Gambia this winter. Going with wife and two children who aren't interested in birding but happy to stay at a resort hotel.

I'll probably do some day trips out - possibly an overnight somewhere.

any advice appreciated but my two questions are:

1) about a suitable hotel that fulfils family & birding requirements -- the Senegambia has reasonable reviews & has large gardens, but the info on fatbirder is over 10yrs old & mentions that with vulture feeding there's now fewer small birds.

2) can any one recommend a good guide / guiding company please? I'm used to doing stuff on my own but understand that it will be much less hassle this way!

thanks ever so much

PS the costa rica idea got vetoed by family as too far and too much jet lag..... :-(

I'm thinking of a family package holiday to the Gambia this winter. Going with wife and two children who aren't interested in birding but happy to stay at a resort hotel.

I'll probably do some day trips out - possibly an overnight somewhere.

any advice appreciated but my two questions are:

1) about a suitable hotel that fulfils family & birding requirements -- the Senegambia has reasonable reviews & has large gardens, but the info on fatbirder is over 10yrs old & mentions that with vulture feeding there's now fewer small birds.

2) can any one recommend a good guide / guiding company please? I'm used to doing stuff on my own but understand that it will be much less hassle this way!

thanks ever so much

PS the costa rica idea got vetoed by family as too far and too much jet lag..... :-(
In January 2020 we stayed at the Bakotu Hotel which was a few yards from the Kotu creek and in fact had a viewing platform at the back of the hotel (also a footpath to the golf course for other birds) and enjoyed it very much.

As for guide I've just nicked a couple of paragraphs from my BF report A Tale of Two Go-rounds (in Trip Reports):

"Ebrima Sidibeh of the Gambian Bird Guide Association. We arranged for his services well before the holiday and he provided us with a fantastic service on the ground: vehicle with a driver (Karanta) who could function as an additional guide, accommodation at Morgan Kunda on a two-day road trip to get some of the inland specialities including, most especially, Egyptian Plover.

Both the chaps were excellent company, very efficient and expert birders with deep knowledge of calls, locations, habitats and so on. Their vocal impressions of Pearl-spotted Owlet were convincing to small birds and loud enough that when I walked across in front of their performance it nearly blew my ear off."

[email protected]

Probably don't let your family see my full report....

Have a great trip

John

Hi @Farnboro John, here’s a question - I see from your trip report that you spent a little time walking around the golf course and koto creek on the ‘off days’ — were you able to do this on your own ? & if so did you get hassled at all or were you generally left in peace? I expect I’ll have more time in the vicinity of the hotel than you did!

Hi @Farnboro John, here’s a question - I see from your trip report that you spent a little time walking around the golf course and koto creek on the ‘off days’ — were you able to do this on your own ? & if so did you get hassled at all or were you generally left in peace? I expect I’ll have more time in the vicinity of the hotel than you did!
Yes we did it on our own, no we didn't get hassled. I guess it is a good idea to keep well out of the way of golfers though!

Cheers

John

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back