• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden Bird Race this weekend 20th/21st Feb (1 Viewer)

dantheman

Bah humbug
As in the title. Anyone up for it? All birds seen or heard in or from the garden. Choose either day (or both!) so not quite as weather dependent as it would be otherwise ... Feel free to post a suspected target beforehand or anything relevant .... post highlights or full lists on here ...

Count me in Dan, having had my best day this year so far today with 32 species I’ll set 33 as my target!
Ha, I could almost have written the post above with you in mind ...

There's a very reasonable chance the weather will be awful here at the weekend (it usually is these days), but I'll go for 20 realistically or 25 if it all works well ...

Unless Boris suddenly unlocks us, I may well be up for this. I haven't tried a garden day list this year so no idea what's possible. Exciting, isn't it?

John

Exciting, isn't it?
Absolutely. A bit unlikely to get a First for Britain or anything though of course ;-)

Last year in lockdown I had a flyby inland Black-throated Diver during the weekly hour watch that was ongoing on social media at the time. You never know ...

Target species for me are LBBG and Nuthatch I think (plus a slew of other common species haven't recorded yet this year).

Last edited:
My Saturday attempt is up to 33 as of 0900. My first Fieldfare for the garden this year was excellent, and the extra-limital Ring-necked Parakeet flew over calling before I got out of bed (in fact I was on 6 by the time I rose); both wagtails and both herons rewarded my early morning watch. Plenty of common stuff still to come I hope!

John

My Saturday attempt is up to 33 as of 0900. My first Fieldfare for the garden this year was excellent, and the extra-limital Ring-necked Parakeet flew over calling before I got out of bed (in fact I was on 6 by the time I rose); both wagtails and both herons rewarded my early morning watch. Plenty of common stuff still to come I hope!

John
Reasonably impressed!

Weather is pretty miserable here - I'm on 2 - Jackdaw and Herring Gull flying past the window. Will try a bit harder later on but think Sunday will be the day for a proper go for me ...

Superb John. Pretty horrible here. On 20 I think with scope to add more and a Sand Martin half a mile away will give me false optimism to carry on with hope over expectation....

Super day here, I’m on 21 as at 1.30pm, I suspect tomorrow will be better for me as my wife is working tonight so will be having a long sleep during ‘ birding hours’ ! Highlights so far were hearing the first Yellowhammer and Blackbird song this morning.

38 now (I'm having a lunch break). Brambling (a full year tick) the best addition in the late morning, but the local Kingfisher flashing down the brook was a known possibility but not guaranteed!

Still some room for improvement though I think 50 is probably beyond reach.

John

Windy and wet and I am counting the grass and trees in front of our flat as the “garden”! I am not hopeful!

If I get into double figures I’ll be happy!

Windy and wet and I am counting the grass and trees in front of our flat as the “garden”! I am not hopeful!

If I get into double figures I’ll be happy!
Remember to look up as well as down. You probably get more gulls flying over than you think, not to mention assorted pigeons and corvids.

John

Weather is pretty miserable here - I'm on 2 - Jackdaw and Herring Gull flying past the window. Will try a bit harder later on but think Sunday will be the day for a proper go for me ...
Can add a smattering of bits blasting by - C Crow, Rook, Woodpigeon, with a flock of Goldfinch over and a couple of Blue Tits.

I will give it ago tomorrow as only just read the post.....Living in Hayle near Copperhouse we quite often get oystercatchers and curlew fly over the house.

Its been mostly grey here but dry very nearly the whole time; and a few patches of sunshine just to get you hopeful...

Up to 41 now, hoping to dig something out of gull roosting flights later or maybe a Canada or a Cormorant. Missing Greenfinch but we haven't the numbers of those we used to have.

John

Count me in Dan - I had 26 in light rain this morning so will set myself a target of 30 for either tomorrow or Sunday morning.

Steve

Edit - I seem to have forgotten what day it is. I blame it on my Covid jab yesterday. A total of 29 today but let's see what tomorrow brings.

Last edited:
Do people want to post their lists up, here on a spreadsheet? I could easily enough set up a shared-access spreadsheet for people to add their results in later, or just do on here. Or just keep to highlights, as is being done?

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back