• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden Pond (1 Viewer)

illy

Hi everyone,

I currently have a water-feature in my garden whereby there is one big pot and three small ones and a pump takes water from the big one to a jug at the top and it trickles down the small ones again to the big one. I've witnessed one of my juvenile robins bathing in it; most of the birds drink it and I hope the two wren babies will bathe in it also later :)

I would love to create a garden pond. However, most of my garden is concrete and it is very small. However I was thinking of getting something like this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/garden-pond_W...ryZ57230QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I am not sure how I would install it however. Should I put bricks underneath? Etc?

Or maybe I could buy this:

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/3651827/Trail/searchtext>POOL.htm

And cover the edges with a wooden fence?

I would really appreciate some advice on how I can create a cheap pond (2m in length as the longest) which I can fit onto my concrete floor. Thanks very much :)

(also would 2m x 1m be enough to attract toads, dragonflies, etc?)

Last edited:
Any pond, however small, is better than none. It will attract insects, amphibians and more. Go for it. Your first link is far better. The paddling pool will just get a hole in and leak and you'd regret it. I'm in a bit of a rush just now, got to go out, but I'll add more fully later.

Welcome to BF.

We have one like your first example, dug a hole, lined it with sand, popped it in, filled the pond with water and then filled round with sand again - works a treat. If you can't dig into the concrete then maybe you can put it in a wooden box filled with sand as it's going to looks a bit unsightly otherwise and probably be a bit unsteady.

Cheers
Andy

We have one like your first example, dug a hole, lined it with sand, popped it in, filled the pond with water and then filled round with sand again - works a treat. If you can't dig into the concrete then maybe you can put it in a wooden box filled with sand as it's going to looks a bit unsightly otherwise and probably be a bit unsteady.

Cheers
Andy

Many thanks for your response :)

My garden is literally 99% covered in concrete. I have pots for plants, the water-bath lies on concrete, etc. It's sad but I can't change it :(

I would love to get that first example however I am not sure where I can buy it from in the UK - as eBay only sells them for collection and I can't travel half-way across the country to pick up a bit of plastic :p

I would even be satisfied with a box that is 2.5metres long and 1metre wide - are there are plastic boxes that big? I think if I get a plastic one I would be able to cover it with wood to make it look a bit more traditional.

I realise my request is a bit strange as post people have earth in their garden; however I can barely afford rent lol and need something cheap that I can DIY to make look good. I would love to get a toad, dragonflies, and aquatic plants.

It's pretty amazing what you can do with very little water. The June issue of Birds & Blooms has an article on page 47 (with photos) of a water pond created with just a plastic barrel of water and some aquatic plants. She's got leopard frogs hanging out now! A barrel could easily be placed on concrete. You could see if it's online at www.birdsandblooms.com

Illy,
forget the paddling pool- far too flimsy.
Join http://www.freecycle.org and look tor your local group. I have often seen people offering old preformed ponds. or you could request one or an old piece of liner and see if you are lucky.

You could either make a wooden frame rour the pond, or a dry stone wall if you can find any reclaimed stone. You'll get a better finish and a more permanent pond if you use mortar though. Make the frame or wall at least a foot bigger than the pond. Then backfill the gap with soil or sand, making sure it is well pushed in under the shelves..Fill with water as you go, making sure it is level.
You'll be able to plant around the pond. If you don't want to plant all round the pond, you can make the fence or wall a bit smaller.

I have heard of people making ponds out of water tanks. If you do this, then you will need to prop up planting baskets with bricks or crates, and you need to make sure there is a ramp out for amphibians etc. (and a ramp in eg a log or rock pile). You can buy quite big plastic storage boxes. Also possibly builders boxes for mising plaster. (My first pond as a child was an old sink with the plug hole sealed).....having said that.......what about an old bath??

Or build a frame as above, backfill to shape with a shelf and buy a piece of pond liner to fit.

Good luck! Anything is better than nothing, and once it's planted you'll be amazed what arrives!

Thank you very much for the replies.

I have decided to purchase a large half barrel for $80 and use that :) I think it will suit my small garden quite well.

illy,
I once saw a very creative and neat way to use a 1/2 barrel for a pond. They went to the home center or hardware store and purchased a cheap hand pump....the kind that you might find in an old cabin. You know...cast iron with a pump handle and wide flat spout that the hand-pumped water would flow from with each stroke of the handle.
Anyway, they attached the pump to a 3 foot piece of pipe and attached the pipe to the side of the barrel (or, you could just pound it into the ground, next to the barrel). They put a small water pump in the bottom of the barrel and ran a small black (inconspicuous) hose from the pump, into the pipe and up to the case iron hand-pump housing. They terminated the top of the hose just behind the wide flat spout. It looked like the pump was pumping water into the barrel and it sounded great!

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back