• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden Visitor (Sparrowhawk) (1 Viewer)

That's excellent

Yes very special, still here eyeing up a collared dove, interesting watching it, the sparrows are coming to the feeder and it's following their every move, don't think it could get one from a standing start but might have a chance on the collared doves as they are a bit slower on the take off!!

I was busy loading the car about 2 weeks ago, and when I got back for the next load, my wife said they had just seen a Buzzard on the picnic table in the back garden! They are over the house regularly and 2 or three pairs nest locally. Not sure what it was after.

Great pics - any idea what lunch was?

Not as yet, Sprawk is still here sat on floor under some foliage, interestingly it has moved deeper in right against the fence and suddenly the sparrows have flooded back onto the feeder as if they know he has gone to sleep.

Right forget that it's just smashed into the back door chasing one of the sparrows, that got away!! now tucked up against the side fence with a headache!!!

I was busy loading the car about 2 weeks ago, and when I got back for the next load, my wife said they had just seen a Buzzard on the picnic table in the back garden! They are over the house regularly and 2 or three pairs nest locally. Not sure what it was after.

Buzzards are mostly scavengers so maybe just checking it out for scraps!

Dear Mr Original,
Fascinating encounter indeed, golly it takes me back to 1976 when I spotted a sparrow hawk latching onto a standard pigeon on the wing!
All the best, Kevin

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back