• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden (Yard) List 2014 (1 Viewer)

Never mind Ken, here's a photo I took through our window this afternoon to cheer you up. These cheeky birds fill their crops with hazelnuts, and then put 'one for the road' in their bill to carry them back up to the mountain :-O

Attachments

• One more for the road.jpg
    One more for the road.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 56
Never mind Ken, here's a photo I took through our window this afternoon to cheer you up. These cheeky birds fill their crops with hazelnuts, and then put 'one for the road' in their bill to carry them back up to the mountain :-O

Won't ever see Nutcracker in the garden! But I can meet it ''half-way'' with this ''little cracker'' shot from the bedroom window the other day. ;)

Attachments

• Absolute Def. Chiff Chaff 1. 19.9.14 bedroom window. for web..jpg
    Absolute Def. Chiff Chaff 1. 19.9.14 bedroom window. for web..jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 46
We should start a Through the Window List 2015 next year (or perhaps not, we need the fresh air after all....)!
Can't match you for quality H2, but while peeling the spuds this little chap was outside the kitchen window (has anyone managed a bird photo from the - err - bathroom window yet?
It had a tail, but must have wagged it sideways as I pressed the shutter, that's my excuse anyway;)

Attachments

• kitchen chiffchaff.jpg
    kitchen chiffchaff.jpg
    267.3 KB · Views: 50
Two additions this morning, with a Skylark migrating over and a fantastic Grey Wagtail by our pond. The sky here is filled with Swallows and House Martins, with loads of Mipits going over. I'm hoping for a few new additions for the year this weekend- a Yellow-browed Warbler would be nice!

68. Skylark
69. Grey Wagtail

70. Stonechat
One was on top of a hedge next to the garden this afternoon.

Oo, I'd be happy to get a Stonechat ...

Heavy visible migration today, many thousands of Chaffinches heading south, small numbers of Brambling and Skylark. Also good movements of Great Tits (some hundreds moving south).

Heavy visible migration today, many thousands of Chaffinches heading south, small numbers of Brambling and Skylark. Also good movements of Great Tits (some hundreds moving south).

Interesting, no sign of that sort of movement here yet, though we had our first autumn flock of c20Hawfinches yesterday.
Highlight of a lovely balmy day today was a young Osprey circling overhead during our al fresco lunch,we weren't even eating fish;)
That's 2 Osprey in the month, after only one in the previous 7 years!

Richard

I haven't seen any new birds in my garden in a while. But I have forgotten to add this (seen at August):

#50. Caspian Tern (Actually this was no: 48. Willow W. and Raven seen after this.)

Lots of gooses fly over my garden on these days, but everyone I can recognize are Barnacles.

At October 1st I put feeding station on my garden (Night temperatures are near zero Celsius-degree at here). Result: Loads of birds in garden yesterday. Dozens and dozens Tree Sparrows, Great- and Blue Tits, couple of Chaffinches, Starlings and Magpies. A few Crow and one Willow Warbler (but he didn't use the feeding station to advantage of). Also present was couple of Jackdaws and Wood Pigeons, but I didn't see them to use feeding station. And there was one new Garden bird too:

# 51. House Sparrow!

A cracking morning today, with Swallows passing, the first autumn Common gulls, a Tree sparrow IN the garden, Sparrowhawks & Kestrels, finches & a single

80: Snipe

over, all blown about in the gale.

I've put up a feeder as well this past week, a Tree Sparrow would be nice!
As for seeing/hearing passing Snipe or Woodcock, that remains a dream - I keep listening at dusk and dawn but all I hear are the local hunters' dogs (it's that time of year here in France when it's safer to stay in the garden rather than risk birding in the forest:C).
First Brambling of the 'winter' flew over on 1st October, so it took a few days to get here from Jos' patch!

Strangely, after nine months plus without one, two more Snipe this morning!

Unfortunately the rain beat the dawn this morning, so no passage stuff.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back