• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden/Yard List 2018. (7 Viewers)

Eight cows squeezed in between my feeders today, not what I was expecting ...even more so as my feeders are actually in woodland! Darn things knocked three of the peanut feeders down and were eating the nuts!

Last edited:
Bovine bovver

Eight cows squeezed in between my feeders today, not what I was expecting ...even more so as my feeders are actually in woodland! Darn things has knocked three of the peanut feeders down and were eating the nuts!

Can’t match your 8 intruders Jos but we had a surprise the other afternoon on arriving home, one of our uncle’s heifers was wandering around outside the house. No damage to the feeders but it had left a few ‘presents’. It didn’t even bring a Cattle Egret with it;)

I've heard nut eating pigs, but cows!? Exceptional garden tick anyway... 3:)

Couple of new ticks here:

#71. Long-tailed Tit - About 20 flyover. At the same time, these were my first LtT's for this year! :eek!:
#72. Eurasian Jay - Two at the feeder. EJ isn't even annual, so very nice tick.

We had a fall of snow night before last which prompted the first appearance of Goldfinches on the feeders yesterday, plus an increase in Greenfinch, Chaffinch and Brambling numbers. A passing Citril Finch came down to see what the fuss was all about, first thing this morning there were three of them!
Not a new one for the year in the garden but at least I managed a couple of photos in the afternoon sunshine:t:

Attachments

• Citril 30.10.18.jpg
    Citril 30.10.18.jpg
    399.9 KB · Views: 21
We had a fall of snow night before last which prompted the first appearance of Goldfinches on the feeders yesterday, plus an increase in Greenfinch, Chaffinch and Brambling numbers. A passing Citril Finch came down to see what the fuss was all about, first thing this morning there were three of them!
Not a new one for the year in the garden but at least I managed a couple of photos in the afternoon sunshine:t:

Very nice.

Better late than never, kinda thought that light drizzle with no wind might be beneficial....mousing about in the top of my Sallow....Firecrest no.82. :)

After two years, I thought surely there couldn't be any new feeder birds, but I was wrong.

41. Rock wren. I haven't found evidence online they visit suet feeders, so now I'm second-guessing myself, but I'm almost certain. Almost.

Just goes to show, the birds have their own ideas of what's normal!!

I had three going that way yesterday and another today - why they are going NNW in November beats me.

Steve

It’s not just Mips, since and including last Sunday...Starlings,Thrushes,Chaffinches and Lapwings + a Golden Plover the same direction. :eek!:

The winds here this week have been largely NW which induces anything moving 'west' to head a bit north but the few mipits that I have had go over have all been going on a different tack, hardly west at all.

Today the weather reports all show SW winds for round here but my garden was northerly and apart from a few Chaffinches there was nothing at all happening. Much like the whole autumn - very poor so far.

Steve

Nice weather today brought two nice sightings from the balcony: a Goshawk hunting over the city and surprisingly

57. Rough-legged Buzzard heading north!

Still waiting for a Yellowhammer.

And some easy misses this year: no Song Trush, Barn Swallow or Skylark. Well, there's always next year...

So many exciting birds turning up - great following along!

First new one since mid September here, a Song Sparrow turned up under the feeders this morning. Always around locally, but not so often in the garden, last seen in April 2017.

Takes me to 81.

So many exciting birds turning up - great following along!

First new one since mid September here, a Song Sparrow turned up under the feeders this morning. Always around locally, but not so often in the garden, last seen in April 2017.

Takes me to 81.

You're getting too close Jasper!...I'll have to try harder.;)

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back