• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden/Yard List 2020 (3 Viewers)

A pleasant addition this morning when a young

119. Yellow-bellied Sapsucker

flew in. Flyover finches are really on now, with 44 Purple Finches and 59 Pine Siskins indicative of a good flight year. After coming in, I thought I might have heard a redpoll (?!?!), but that would be quite rare here and I've never heard one before.

Just when I was about to post some recent ''Bathing Beauties'' ''Ye Gods'' called on me!....my first in garden for six years and earliest ever, no.92. :eek!:

PS fwiw, 46 out of the 92 species currently logged have been (on the furniture) within the garden.

Cheers

Attachments

• P2350255.jpeg    Birdbath Song Thrush.jpeg
    P2350255.jpeg Birdbath Song Thrush.jpeg
    147.7 KB · Views: 28
  • P2350239.jpeg   Bathing Blackcaps.jpeg
    P2350239.jpeg Bathing Blackcaps.jpeg
    188.7 KB · Views: 23
  • P2350221.jpeg   Blckcp.and Redwng..jpeg
    P2350221.jpeg Blckcp.and Redwng..jpeg
    252.6 KB · Views: 24
  • P2350738.jpeg   Brambling 4..jpeg
    P2350738.jpeg Brambling 4..jpeg
    160.8 KB · Views: 27
  • P2350750.jpeg   Fem.Brambling on niger.1..jpeg
    P2350750.jpeg Fem.Brambling on niger.1..jpeg
    84 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
October 11th.

80. Reed Bunting - one flew north

A interesting morning, with 33 species in three hours. 118 Redwings over, plus a good movement of at least 22 Skylarks though as usual I only managed to see ten. I seemed to be in between two major Redwing movements, with a count of 3000 over Derbyshire and 500 over south Leicester.

Steve

October 11th.

80. Reed Bunting - one flew north

A interesting morning, with 33 species in three hours. 118 Redwings over, plus a good movement of at least 22 Skylarks though as usual I only managed to see ten. I seemed to be in between two major Redwing movements, with a count of 3000 over Derbyshire and 500 over south Leicester.

Steve

A big movement of Redwings here Steve, also of a Westerly orientation, as for Reed Bunting and Skylark....it’s good to know they still exist. :-C:-C

First Meadow Pipit over this morning. Await the first thrush movements and the like.

Chifchaff probably daily now - sign of winter.

First Meadow Pipit over this morning. Await the first thrush movements and the like.

Chifchaff probably daily now - sign of winter.

On my west London patch this morning just short of 200 Redwing over this morning in various flocks. Some observers around town had larger flocks.

By contrast I've hardly seen any Blackbirds in the last few weeks,

On my west London patch this morning just short of 200 Redwing over this morning in various flocks. Some observers around town had larger flocks.

Snap on both counts!

:t:

Sometimes one has to eat humble pie, hopefully this will be contrite enough for damage limitation?
Friday just gone I reported 6 Hawfinches heading South c900m away, well lit by the morning sun. Initially foreshortened and coming from the North I thought Skylark on size and relative bulk, however the bouncing Finch flight soon changed my opinion thus I defaulted to the “large finch” of the region...Hawfinch. (These would have been my first since Spring). Although viewing became limited by my various tree impediments I couldn’t compute anything else however looking at the day report on London Wiki Birds I noted at least 4 different group sightings of Crossbill (there has been a London influx of this species certainly over the last few weeks). I’ve only ever seen Crossbill from the house twice in 37 years with both occurrences being in July...thus was never on my radar. I’ve now defaulted to the latter over the former and resubmitted my record for the day. The upshot of this sad tale is that Crossbill would constitute another new tick for the current garden year list, would this be acceptable on current rules? :eek!: I do realise that this request will cause a lot of heart wrench. ;)

Last edited:
Sometimes one has to eat humble pie, hopefully this will be contrite enough for damage limitation?
Friday just gone I reported 6 Hawfinches heading South c900m away, well lit by the morning sun. Initially foreshortened and coming from the North I thought Skylark on size and relative bulk, however the bouncing Finch flight soon changed my opinion thus I defaulted to the “large finch” of the region...Hawfinch. (These would have been my first since Spring). Although viewing became limited by my various tree impediments I couldn’t compute anything else however looking at the day report on London Wiki Birds I noted at least 4 different group sightings of Crossbill (there has been a London influx of this species certainly over the last few weeks). I’ve only ever seen Crossbill from the house twice in 37 years with both occurrences being in July...thus was never on my radar. I’ve now defaulted to the latter over the former and resubmitted my record for the day. The upshot of this sad tale is that Crossbill would constitute another new tick for the current garden year list, would this be acceptable on current rules? :eek!: I do realise that this request will cause a lot of heart wrench. ;)
It’s your list Ken, all I would say is that you didn’t actually identify the six birds to species in the first place, at the migration watch point I sometimes go to in autumn they would go down as ‘Unidentified passerine sp ‘
All very frustrating for you and I know the feeling, in the past two spring periods I have seen what I had to submit as ‘unidentified falcon sp’, only to find Red footed had been seen the same or following day not far away:C

It’s your list Ken, all I would say is that you didn’t actually identify the six birds to species in the first place, at the migration watch point I sometimes go to in autumn they would go down as ‘Unidentified passerine sp ‘
All very frustrating for you and I know the feeling, in the past two spring periods I have seen what I had to submit as ‘unidentified falcon sp’, only to find Red footed had been seen the same or following day not far away:C

Quite right Richard as you say it is my list after all but you know it can work both ways, in as much as, I’m currently holding back 2 records in abeyance for the simple reason that they would have looked a “bit rich” coming so swiftly (days) on the backs of some already good grdn.ticks. Melodious Warbler and Nightingale both seen briefly but well enough to identify to species level. In addition a further two (a single “cluster call” of midnight flyover Common Scoters emanating from the Lee Valley a couple of miles away. Even though heard clearly, I only heard a single cluster call when I was expecting more? The second was Kingfisher, basically a black dot against a grey sky, a straight line projectile arrowing above the trees following the river course. This was not included, not because there were any doubts regarding it’s provenance, rather that, I would have preferred a better view of this superb bird, technically an undeniable tick...but falling short on appearance somewhat! Thus unofficially if I’ve done the maths correctly I’m currently on 96 excluding Crossbill, however officially I’m happy to leave it at 92 whichever. ;) :t:

My first Chiffy in four days (normally daily till late October), was eclipsed five minutes later by a half snow-balled “tristis” in my neighbour’s lilac tree. no.93. ;)

Hmmm, yes little in the way of Blackbirds for a while here too - can't recall last time saw one!.

Right on cue c200 Redwing over this morning whilst attending the moth trap. Almost missed them as the majority were totally silent.

Hmmm, yes little in the way of Blackbirds for a while here too - can't recall last time saw one!.

Right on cue c200 Redwing over this morning whilst attending the moth trap. Almost missed them as the majority were totally silent.

Are missing Blackbirds a countrywide phenomena at the moment, or do the “locals” go on holiday about this time? Almost embarrassed to ask the question as it shows just how unobservant one can be.:eek!:

Are missing Blackbirds a countrywide phenomena at the moment, or do the “locals” go on holiday about this time? Almost embarrassed to ask the question as it shows just how unobservant one can be.:eek!:

That's the thing, isn't it, if you don't keep a bird observatory or record every single common bird sighting.

I know the robins 'disappear' after breeding to moult - ie they become less conspicuous and in deeper vegetation afaik.

A good passage of Thrushes and finches going NNW this am, fairly close in perhaps 200m out, a Song Thrush flanked by two Redwing heading to the same compass point were suddenly joined by a bunting sp.(jerky flight, bulbous body-ish) Question...can I include this in my grdn.year list?...as the last Bunting I noted from my abode was probably c15 years ago (Reed) and that was in the garden. :t:

Plenty of buntings here Ken, all Yellow despite me grilling them regularly for a Rock ( or something more exotic ;);)).
A Skylark just 1km away on my walk the other day would have been a near mega for the garden (only one ever logged here since we arrived in 2016). Still no Brambling returnees yet, but finally had confirmation (thanks to its call) that the Pipits going over occasionally are not all local Water Pipits descending from the slopes but migrating
87 Meadow Pipit

October is the only month I have recorded them here and 87 for the year equals my best total here!

Plenty of buntings here Ken, all Yellow despite me grilling them regularly for a Rock ( or something more exotic ;);)).
A Skylark just 1km away on my walk the other day would have been a near mega for the garden (only one ever logged here since we arrived in 2016). Still no Brambling returnees yet, but finally had confirmation (thanks to its call) that the Pipits going over occasionally are not all local Water Pipits descending from the slopes but migrating
87 Meadow Pipit

October is the only month I have recorded them here and 87 for the year equals my best total here!

Congratulations Richard! I always enjoy your lively updates, and 87 isn't shabby at all for a mountain abode!

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back