• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden/Yard List 2020 (1 Viewer)

Plenty of buntings here Ken, all Yellow despite me grilling them regularly for a Rock ( or something more exotic ;);)).
A Skylark just 1km away on my walk the other day would have been a near mega for the garden (only one ever logged here since we arrived in 2016). Still no Brambling returnees yet, but finally had confirmation (thanks to its call) that the Pipits going over occasionally are not all local Water Pipits descending from the slopes but migrating
87 Meadow Pipit

October is the only month I have recorded them here and 87 for the year equals my best total here!

I can remember the mid'80's Richard when Yellow and Reed would occur in the garden occasionally during the Winter months but alas no more.:-C
Although not needing Mipit...I still need Skylark! On Monday evening this jerked over the trees and I thought ''momentarily'' that I'd joined the Snipe club....however a bitter blow ensued.:-O

Attachments

• P2360673.jpeg   Noctule 1..jpeg
    P2360673.jpeg Noctule 1..jpeg
    111.5 KB · Views: 38
We should get a bonus point for seeing bats from the Garden/Yard! We had one noctule type flying around here too yesterday, but in the early afternoon sunshine, most peculiar.

I have never observed bats from my yard. I even tried bat detector once at last summer, but nothing. :-C

Last weekend I noticed first Waxwings after spring, but they don't have much to eat here, cos there isn't any Rowanberryes anywhere near. Probably they continue their journey soon.
Earlier in this week I put up feeding for birds... Winter is coming.

Attachments

• dadaP1650815.jpg
    dadaP1650815.jpg
    499.1 KB · Views: 15
  • dadaP1650821.jpg
    dadaP1650821.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 17
  • dadaP1650833.jpg
    dadaP1650833.jpg
    248.7 KB · Views: 16
  • dadaP1660025.jpg
    dadaP1660025.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 12
  • dadaP1660038.jpg
    dadaP1660038.jpg
    254.7 KB · Views: 15
I have never observed bats from my yard. I even tried bat detector once at last summer, but nothing. :-C

Last weekend I noticed first Waxwings after spring, but they don't have much to eat here, cos there isn't any Rowanberryes anywhere near. Probably they continue their journey soon.
Earlier in this week I put up feeding for birds... Winter is coming.

I see bats not infrequently Wari, mostly Pipistrelles (running a UV moth light occasionally...helps ;) ) Noctules I might see 1-2 times per annum, particularly on warm or still evenings that said, these are the only Bats that I see.

However “one” evening only during Aug (high pressure) I had certainly two, if not three “other” species of bat that were intermediate in size between Noctule and Pips. each having different wing shape and flight styles to Pips.

Would particularly like some Waxwing down here Wari, have only ever had the one...which I didn’t see! Fortunately my wife saw it and promptly put it on the garden list. :t:

So brief....so brief....first for several years to grace the garden this morning sharing with Goldcrest, Redwing and a Firecrest from yesterday. no.94 a probable rostrata Common Redpoll (heavy flank streaking) :)

Attachments

• P2370108.jpeg   Redpoll 1..jpeg
    P2370108.jpeg Redpoll 1..jpeg
    267.8 KB · Views: 40
  • P2370012.jpeg   Fcrst.1..jpeg
    P2370012.jpeg Fcrst.1..jpeg
    219.5 KB · Views: 36
  • P2370089.jpeg    Goldcrest at the window.jpeg
    P2370089.jpeg Goldcrest at the window.jpeg
    173.5 KB · Views: 25
  • P2370112.jpeg   Redwng 1..jpeg
    P2370112.jpeg Redwng 1..jpeg
    178.6 KB · Views: 36
October has been a great month this year and with a couple good sea watches and endless good mornings of vismig it has resulted in me adding many more species since the last update. Unfortunately this is my final ever update for this garden as I am now sitting waiting for my flight to my new house in the Falklands. So I leave Hemsby after 8 years 2 months with a sofa list of 217 and thanks to COVID my best year by miles. Reaching 20 spp might be a struggle from now on....

173. Leaches Petrel
174. Sabine’s Gull
175. Grey Phalarope
176. Yellow-browed Warbler
177. Spotted Flycatcher
178. Woodcock
179. Jack snipe
180. Dartford warbler
181. Richards Pipit
182. Field fare
183. Long-eared Owl
184. Bearded tit
185. Snow bunting
186. Common redpoll
187. Rock Pipit

October has been a great month this year and with a couple good sea watches and endless good mornings of vismig it has resulted in me adding many more species since the last update. Unfortunately this is my final ever update for this garden as I am now sitting waiting for my flight to my new house in the Falklands. So I leave Hemsby after 8 years 2 months with a sofa list of 217 and thanks to COVID my best year by miles. Reaching 20 spp might be a struggle from now on....

173. Leaches Petrel
174. Sabine’s Gull
175. Grey Phalarope
177. Spotted Flycatcher
178. Woodcock
179. Jack snipe
180. Dartford warbler
181. Richards Pipit
182. Field fare
183. Long-eared Owl
184. Bearded tit
185. Snow bunting
186. Common redpoll
187. Rock Pipit
Wow Ryan, going out on a high! No reason not to start a Garden List for us to admire when you get ‘down south‘:t:
Safe travel and new life!

October has been a great month this year and with a couple good sea watches and endless good mornings of vismig it has resulted in me adding many more species since the last update. Unfortunately this is my final ever update for this garden as I am now sitting waiting for my flight to my new house in the Falklands. So I leave Hemsby after 8 years 2 months with a sofa list of 217 and thanks to COVID my best year by miles. Reaching 20 spp might be a struggle from on

Wow, Ryan! The Falklands!!

Well, no need to give up on the garden list - no doubt we'll be just as impressed with the new one!
A lot of the stuff you've had I'd be happy to get on a year list!

Ryan, I really look forward to hearing what species you get on your list in the Falklands.
It's not the quantity but the quality. ;)

Here in the north there is no longer a fear of seeing bats. - If those cuties are now scaring someone? 3:)
Last week was little bit colder than usual, but again this week temperatures rise and it's now little bit warmer, about +10 C degrees at daytime.

On Tuesday I finally saw bird that I have waited for whole year (OK, not in a Summer):

#84. Brambling - 2 males sitting on tree above the feeder, but I didn't see them go to feeding and haven't see them since.

At this morning when I was in the garden with the dog I experienced one of those moments when you don’t dare trust your own eyes. I watched as something flew toward our yard. Its wavy flight and round wings first reminded me of a woodpecker, but I immediately realized it was bigger. I raised my binoculars while the bird was already directly above me. Sturdy beak, short tail and spotted belly... then it has gone. I thought did this really happen? But it's a right time of a year and there has been movements on macrorhynchos recently. So, I saw it right and I have to believe my own eys. 3:)
#85. Spotted Nutcracker - not just a garden lifer, but also an eco lifer! B :)

One more today... but just maybe.

I'm thinking of Rough-legged Buzz (adult female). Are you with me?

Attachments

• dacdP1660632.jpg
    dacdP1660632.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 17
  • dacdP1660641.jpg
    dacdP1660641.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 23
  • dacdP1660646.jpg
    dacdP1660646.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 18
  • dacdP1660650.jpg
    dacdP1660650.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 18
A stunner, Wari! And the Nutcracker, too.

Word is out that North American Rough-legs are moving early and in numbers. Hawk Mountain Sanctuary (about an hour away) averages less than one per year at the hawkwatch, but I'll stay hopeful.

173. Leaches Petrel
174. Sabine’s Gull
175. Grey Phalarope
177. Spotted Flycatcher
178. Woodcock
179. Jack snipe
180. Dartford warbler
181. Richards Pipit
182. Field fare
183. Long-eared Owl
184. Bearded tit
185. Snow bunting
186. Common redpoll
187. Rock Pipit

A great final month Ryan. I have envied your garden list ever since I first saw it. I hope whoever has bought your house appreciates what they have got. And all the best for your move and life in the Falklands.

Steve

I got several since I last posted.
108 House Wren
109 Brown Thrasher
110 Hutton's Vireo
111 Green-winged Teal
112 Swamp Sparrow
113 Marsh Wren
114 Downy Woodpecker
115 Inca Dove
116 Hermit Thrush
117 Cave Swallow
118 Double-crested Cormorant

A long-awaited species arrived this morning in temperatures just below freezing...

120. Evening Grosbeak (new yard and county bird and my second sighting ever!)

Four were seen for just a couple seconds in flight, but I got an unmistakable look at the white wing patch on one before they dove out of sight.

The region is experiencing the largest invasion of these in 20 years! I got my lifers 2 years ago during a smaller invasion, but this is a real treat. Evening Grosbeaks declined steeply for years after they used to be common winter visitors in the 70s and such... (before my time!).

Last edited:
More good birds folks, October was a real damp squib here ( though it wasn’t that damp ;)), just one addition to the year list all month, though looking at my ebird stats I managed 50 species which isn’t bad when the whole year’s running total is below 90. Only one Brambling so far, and that stayed just a day, the Black Redstart finally left during last week and Hawfinch are now a daily sight.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back