• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden/Yard List 2020 (4 Viewers)

Two local resident species breed within 1km of the house, one of them, Dipper is highly unlikely ever to venture up the hill to our place, but the other, Grey Wagtail, visits the farm close by in winter looking for tasty morsels in the hay and straw cleared out of the cows' barn each day. Despite that, I have only recorded one on the Garden List in our four years here. Seeing one yesterday at the farm prompted me to hatch a Baldrick-style cunning plan which involved me doing a dawn vigil this morning in the hope that we were on its route from the river to the farm. And it worked:t: It flew past just after 8 o'clock:

88 Grey Wagtail

Just after that another uncommon visitor dropped in to the elm, a female Lesser Spotted Woodpecker (5th record), the gloomy conditions not helping in my efforts to photo-capture it in all its stripey-backed glory:C. First proper arrival of Brambling this morning too and a Black Redstart turned up yesterday, the first November (and latest) record for the garden.

There was a smart pale Common Buzzard behind the house last week (see photo).

Attachments

• pic echette 4.jpg
    pic echette 4.jpg
    344.7 KB · Views: 22
  • Buse 30.10.20.jpg
    Buse 30.10.20.jpg
    396.9 KB · Views: 17
Two local resident species breed within 1km of the house, one of them, Dipper is highly unlikely ever to venture up the hill to our place, but the other, Grey Wagtail, visits the farm close by in winter looking for tasty morsels in the hay and straw cleared out of the cows' barn each day. Despite that, I have only recorded one on the Garden List in our four years here. Seeing one yesterday at the farm prompted me to hatch a Baldrick-style cunning plan which involved me doing a dawn vigil this morning in the hope that we were on its route from the river to the farm. And it worked:t: It flew past just after 8 o'clock:

88 Grey Wagtail

Just after that another uncommon visitor dropped in to the elm, a female Lesser Spotted Woodpecker (5th record), the gloomy conditions not helping in my efforts to photo-capture it in all its stripey-backed glory:C. First proper arrival of Brambling this morning too and a Black Redstart turned up yesterday, the first November (and latest) record for the garden.

There was a smart pale Common Buzzard behind the house last week (see photo).

Welcome to the ''wish I'd got a better LSW image club Richard'' :t: ;)

Attachments

• P2130423.jpeg    Def.LSW 02.jpg
    P2130423.jpeg Def.LSW 02.jpg
    202.6 KB · Views: 26
Yer cheeky monkey, at least my Buzzard is recognisable!

Such sensitive souls (that grab the wrong end of the stick) out there!, here's one of my better (non garden shot) images. :t:

The others are a tad better. ;)

Attachments

• P2140325.jpeg      LSW Zebra.jpeg
    P2140325.jpeg LSW Zebra.jpeg
    146.4 KB · Views: 25
Way behind with my ebird records so not sure my number or whether I have missed something. I will catch up. No idea why as I have been nowhere for months... I have been keeping the camera handy to keep the photo list moving so today after a few ifs, buts and maybes when I looked up to see an adult Mediterranean Gull wheeling overhead it was close enough to get a pic.

Garden tick - Mediterranean Gull (adult winter)

All the best

Paul

Attachments

• Med Gull D.jpg
    Med Gull D.jpg
    171.1 KB · Views: 29
Well done on the Med.Gull Paul!....certainly one I could do with as I nudge towards the ton. :eek!:

Thought yesterday although ''tickless'' was a great day, my latest ever garden Chiffy (by 3 weeks) certainly got me excited followed by a less than confiding female Brambling which proved photo elusive, more so than my visiting Firecrest which gave me a couple of frames out of c40!!

Thus today on paper this should have been ''payback time'', ie not a lot....this however proved to be not the case! As the Gods answered with darkened sky and almost horizontal rain which suddenly eased, I espied the distant elusive female Brambling again only this time in neighbour's hedge. A quick against the window frame ''rat-a-tat-tat'' and she was mine! (not one of my best, but sometimes one has to make do :eek!:) This was followed by a brisk hill-walk before lunch and then back to the''window station''.

Casually looking down from my perch...there followed a momentary meltdown! Just as the latest shower eased, from beneath the Ivy strewn patio there emerged a totally ''off the radar'' garden visitor that I could never have imagined...No.95 Gallinula chloropus !!! :eek!:

Attachments

• P2380265.jpeg     Latest Chiffy.jpg
    P2380265.jpeg Latest Chiffy.jpg
    234.5 KB · Views: 26
  • P2380188.jpeg    Fcrst 09.jpg
    P2380188.jpeg Fcrst 09.jpg
    296 KB · Views: 27
  • P2380284.jpeg    Brambling 9..jpeg
    P2380284.jpeg Brambling 9..jpeg
    251.1 KB · Views: 32
  • P2380304.jpeg     Grdn.Moorhen 2..jpeg
    P2380304.jpeg Grdn.Moorhen 2..jpeg
    350.4 KB · Views: 26
  • P2380333.jpeg    Moorhen and Blackbird.jpeg
    P2380333.jpeg Moorhen and Blackbird.jpeg
    287.9 KB · Views: 22
119 American White Pelican
120 Ring-necked Duck
121 White-breasted Nuthatch
122 Osprey
123 Lark Bunting
124 American Pipit (Lifer!)
125 Gadwall
126 Blue-winged Teal
127 Wilson's Snipe
128 Greater Yellowlegs

This morning was chilly but very active. The highlight came when two

121. Black-capped Chickadee (county year bird)

foraged in the small white pines and around the yard for a bit. Black-caps irrupt southwards every few years, with 2016 being the last good year.

Just saw 4 Redwings on top of my neighbour’s tree.

Attachments

• 55FFE98E-F907-44E2-A03F-E0930153B5C0.jpeg
    55FFE98E-F907-44E2-A03F-E0930153B5C0.jpeg
    994.9 KB · Views: 2
  • C9C4181E-878E-4C46-8110-3CC2B5A4E307.jpeg
    C9C4181E-878E-4C46-8110-3CC2B5A4E307.jpeg
    886.8 KB · Views: 2
  • CB6A8676-F686-41A6-AB64-824085D363AC.jpeg
    CB6A8676-F686-41A6-AB64-824085D363AC.jpeg
    587.7 KB · Views: 2
Having mentioned Kingfisher seen (but badly) earlier in the year, although not ticked on account of it being a distant silhouetted dart (nothing moves that fast over a water course!). Although I didn’t need to confirm, I wanted a better view.
Once more this afternoon in exactly the same place, the same black dart zapped North above the stream and canopy. Now deciding that one can’t look a gift horse in the mouth circa ten months apart, in the words of the prophet...l’m ‘avin it! no.96. :)

Perseverance pays off Ken! Though a black darter is surely not a bird but a dragonfly n'est-ce pas?;)
I'm never going to catch you this year as I'm still in the 80s. Today the winter finally arrived, as you can see from the (hopefully muster passing) photo attached we were ankle deep in snow and Yellowhammers all day! I manage to count 70 plus of the yellow perils but still no sign of 'Piney' so far:(

Attachments

• Ten Yellowhammers.jpg
    Ten Yellowhammers.jpg
    897.9 KB · Views: 9
Can finally contribute to the list again.

55. Redwing

In the trees to the front of the house. Must work from the dining room table more often. (y)

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back