• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Columbia

Garden / Yard List 2021 (1 Viewer)

Richard Prior

Halfway up an Alp
Europe
I opted for a lazy morning today, having been up and out early for vismig watches the past four days. Even decided to postpone my WeBS counts until tomorrow in favour of a sit in the garden either side of emptying my moth trap. And glad I did......

October 10th.
73. Yellowhammer - one heard over
74. Crossbill - ditto
75. Reed Bunting - one migrated SW calling

Plus Brambling, Siskins, Lesser Redpoll and a few other bits and pieces all heard or seen going over, and topped off by two skeins of Pink-feet heading east just before ten o'clock. 36 species.
A just reward Steve! 33 species is the best day total I’ve had here so far this month ( and that included three distant jobs thanks to the telescope !).

kuzeycem

Medicinal Birding
Turkey
Please excuse me while I turn here into my personal blog page for a little bit.
5 October 2021 will surely go down as one of those cosmic days when everything just falls into place! It started when a couple of Ring Ouzels were recorded at the normal migration points in Bosphorus in the first couple days of October, which isn't anything really unusal but it was enough to somehow put it on my radar even though it's a rarity for Ankara, at the dead center of Turkey. So I didn't have any expectations for when I went out on the noon of 5th for a quick stroll. So just imagine my surprise when I see one hopping on the lawn, giving stupendous views! And after that, another was in a nearby shrubbery. Absolutely amazing.
But that wasn't the end as some time later I heard a weird sound coming from the large trees by the pond. It was actually a sound I knew well but never on my radar for home so I just couldn't put my finger on it. It wasn't long after I had a greenish bird with a paler rump, flying in undulating flight. I bet you can guess what it was now. It hung around on the trees on the other side of the pond, until it decided the magpies were just too much and left the area.

5 October
114. Ring Ouzel (#130)
115. European Green Woodpecker (#131)

Attachments

• ouzel5.jpg
    ouzel5.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 8
  • 20211005_172706.jpg
    20211005_172706.jpg
    399.3 KB · Views: 8

birdmeister

United States
Had an unexpected but pleasant tick a few days ago when a male

101. Pine Warbler

landed in the backyard. It turned out that a small flock was roving through, containing 3 Cape May, 1 Yellow-rumped Warbler, and a Ruby-crowned Kinglet. A nice late-season grouping.

Richard Prior

Halfway up an Alp
Europe
But that wasn't the end as some time later I heard a weird sound coming from the large trees by the pond. It was actually a sound I knew well but never on my radar for home so I just couldn't put my finger on it. It wasn't long after I had a greenish bird with a paler rump, flying in undulating flight. I bet you can guess what it was now. It hung around on the trees on the other side of the pond, until it decided the magpies were just too much and left the area.

5 October
114. Ring Ouzel (#130)
115. European Green Woodpecker (#131)
Speaking of woodpeckers, the Middle Spotted reappeared this morning, for once hanging around long enough for me to get a better souvenir pic :)

Attachments

• Pic mar 12.10.21.jpg
    Pic mar 12.10.21.jpg
    952.4 KB · Views: 6

halftwo

Wird Batcher
Just getting into my car, on the way to work this morning when 20 Redwings, calling went over. And with them, also calling were 2

79 : BRAMBLINGS

Steve Lister

Senior Birder, ex County Recorder, Garden Moths.
United Kingdom
October 13th - another great morning session
76. Hawfinch - one migrated west low overhead, calling: a county scarcity
77. Nuthatch - one calling nearby later flew across the garden
78. Teal - a flock of 11 high to the NW
All against a backdrop of 810 Redwings migrating westish.

KenM

Waking up 7am-ish to c.five sightings of Goldcrest, within 10 mins.+ 2 Chaffinch (first since Spring) and a flock of Redwings low over the garden, with one dropping in to feast on the Hawthorn berries (again first touchdown since Spring).
I thought today could be good, sure enough on time the commoner of the two dropped in swiftly followed by the “rarer” which had already preceded no.93….Firecrest.😀

Attachments

• AD9BAE9C-9289-4B0B-85D2-2DECAA94A1F4.jpeg
    AD9BAE9C-9289-4B0B-85D2-2DECAA94A1F4.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 13
  • FC34799D-CB7A-4775-8179-568839FA9C6A.jpeg
    FC34799D-CB7A-4775-8179-568839FA9C6A.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 12

Warixenjalka

Birdwitcher
Finland
Well, I suppose any publicity is good publicity, they should do a version of Dylan’s Blowin’ in The Wind then!
And Scorpions Wind of change...

What comes to my garden (in Kotka this time) and birds:

#70. Spruce Siskin - I can't understand how I have missed this before. I'm sure I have seen it in some point, but I probably thought it was already on the lists... :rolleyes:

ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Columbia

Users who are viewing this thread