• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden / Yard List 2021 (1 Viewer)

Having ticked off 25% of last years list in the first 90 mins!....the rest should be a doddle or will it be a daw-dle? 😮

A paltry 17 species on what was a white out of a day, snow and fog (in the clouds). Still, 2 Redwing were a good species to get so early in the year, last year it took until Day 345 to log one!

15 species today in the first hour and an hour over lunch:-

1. Dunnock
2. Robin
3. Blackbird
4. Starling
5. Blue Tit
6. Carrion Crow
7. Lesser Black-backed Gull
8. Herring Gull
9. Black-headed Gull
10. Woodpigeon
11. Feral Pigeon
12. Goosander
13. Pied Wagtail
14. Magpie
15. Little Egret

All the best

Paul

Attachments

• Goosander 001 (reduced).jpg
    Goosander 001 (reduced).jpg
    242.5 KB · Views: 6
24 species in the first 90 minutes (from a dawn start) then a struggle, eventually signing off with four flights of Mandarin at 16.30 totalling 32 species.....only another 68 species for the ton! :)

Quick stop here to add my first few birds.

1. Northern Cardinal
2. House Finch
3. Northern Mockingbird
4. American Crow
5. White-throated Sparrow
6. Dark-eyed Junco
7. Downy Woodpecker
8. European Starling

Last edited:
I was not intending any garden birding today but the state of the roads first thing (black ice) convinced me to delay my departure and I did an hour either side of breakfast: not a bad start.....
1. Robin
2, Blackbird
3. Wren
4. Magpie
5, Collared Dove
6. Woodpigeon
7. Carrion Crow
8. Redwing
9. Little Egret
10. Dunnock
11. Goldfinch
12. Jackdaw
13. Great Tit
14. Goldcrest
15. Chaffinch
16. Greenfinch
17. Black-headed Gull
18. Herring Gull
19. Blue Tit
20. Starling
21. Pied Wagtail
22. LBB Gull
23. Feral Pigeon
24. Coal Tit

1)Tawny Owl 12:30am
2) Jackdaw
3) Blue Tit
4) Coal Tit (nice to get so early)
5) Goldfinch
6) Black-headed Gull (not so regular)
7) Herring Gull
8) Wren
9) Dunnock
10) Rook (eventually 32 seen at the rookery)
11) Collared Dove
12) Woodpigeon
13) Blackbird
14) Robin
15) House Sparrow
16) Pied Wagtail

Then went out to the local reservoir

17) Carrion Crow (one of those with the white wing patches, hassling the rooks)
18) Great Spotted Woodpecker over
19) Magpie
20) Starling

Around dusk watched the Jackdaws leave their pre-roost on the way to College Res. Must have been over 2000, but impossible to guesstimate properly!

Last edited:
I've started a googlesheets doc for garden listing -

What do people think? Helpful or Hindrance? (ie destroys the fun). The column for N to the left of each contributor relates to the main 'master list' to the far left. We can do separate tabs (sheets) for other countries/continents, or could just combine on one sheet (see bottom left of the page). Of course people can use their own ebird/bubo/whatever but may be a useful comparison tool ...

Anyone can edit, I'm hoping that it won't be a major task after initial input (mostly copying and pasting from this thread tbh) and people can update/someone else can admin if necessary (editing is straightforward generally, and auto-saves as you go).

Last edited:
29 for me on the 1st: highlights were Pink feet, Tawny Owl, Heron, Stock Dove.

Today so far 2 further species: Raven & Wren.

Already falling behind Ken!

I like the Google sheet idea Dan, always nice to drool over others' sightings! I've started the Europe page of the sheet (hopefully not destoying all your handiwork!)
Better visibility today with light snow showers, the Alpine Accentor which refused to show in 2020 turned up this morning, a bit shy, each time I grab the camera it zips out of sight. Now up to 22 species. Still getting frequent visits from a hardy group of 11 Long-tailed Tit, they're made of strong stuff!
1Robin
2Blackbird
3Redwing
4Mistle Thrush
5Long-tailed Tit
6Marsh Tit
7Blue Tit
8Great Tit
9Carrion Crow
10Raven
11Chaffinch
12Brambling
13Greenfinch
14Goldfinch
15Siskin
16Hawfinch
17Yellowhammer
18Tawny Owl
19Green Woodpecker
20Great Spotted Woodpecker
21Nuthatch
22Alpine Accentor

20) Starling

Around dusk watched the Jackdaws leave their pre-roost on the way to College Res. Must have been over 2000, but impossible to guesstimate properly!
21) Meadow Pipit.

We've been getting a regular bird in both the front and back garden last few weeks - always nice to see pootling around about 8 feet away below the front window!

I like the Google sheet idea Dan, always nice to drool over others' sightings! I've started the Europe page of the sheet (hopefully not destoying all your handiwork!)
Better visibility today with light snow showers, the Alpine Accentor which refused to show in 2020 turned up this morning, a bit shy, each time I grab the camera it zips out of sight. Now up to 22 species. Still getting frequent visits from a hardy group of 11 Long-tailed Tit, they're made of strong stuff!
Cool. I've added your France total to the combined 'World' list too. Do check I've done correctly ... (the N column etc)

General question - do people tend to post their entire ongoing totals on these threads, or just highlights?

It’s about 50/50 I would say, personally I like to see what you’re all seeing and how the numbers are stacking up, it’s the Garden / Yard LIST thread after all, there are other threads running of the ‘visitors to the garden/ feeders’ variety.

It’s about 50/50 I would say, personally I like to see what you’re all seeing and how the numbers are stacking up, it’s the Garden / Yard LIST thread after all, there are other threads running of the ‘visitors to the garden/ feeders’ variety.
Very happy to repeat highlights myself, as well as the ongoing new species.

I guess the question I'm asking is to peeps like Ken and H2 - whether they are usually going to be posting a full list, and then whether that goes onto the spreadsheet too. Or if people don't bother posting up the initial common species in a normal year??

No compunction to do anything of course!

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back