• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden / Yard List 2021 (1 Viewer)

Very happy to repeat highlights myself, as well as the ongoing new species.

I guess the question I'm asking is to peeps like Ken and H2 - whether they are usually going to be posting a full list, and then whether that goes onto the spreadsheet too. Or if people don't bother posting up the initial common species in a normal year??

No compunction to do anything of cour
Very happy to repeat highlights myself, as well as the ongoing new species.

I guess the question I'm asking is to peeps like Ken and H2 - whether they are usually going to be posting a full list, and then whether that goes onto the spreadsheet too. Or if people don't bother posting up the initial common species in a normal year??

No compunction to do anything of course!
Speaking for myself Dan, my normal modus operandi is to pull out any “rares” on my first entry for the year ie last year House Sparrows! within the 20+ common total for the day, then thereafter naming and numbering every other addition as they fall.
To be honest the first ten or so birds recorded on Jan 1st are going to be regular fare for most of us, thus to my mind is it worth repeating-RobinBlackbirdWoodPigeonBlueTitGreatTitDunnockGoldfinchFeralPigeonCarrionCrowMagpiezzzzzzzz? I suppose it could be mandatory with a full description for each and every.
Surely It’s supposed to be a “bit of fun” it appears to have worked quite well so far judging by the number of posts it’s received. If anybody wants to use anything for e-bird then that’s fine by me.

Cheers 👍

Speaking for myself Dan, my normal modus operandi is to pull out any “rares” on my first entry for the year ie last year House Sparrows! within the 20+ common total for the day, then thereafter naming and numbering every other addition as they fall.
To be honest the first ten or so birds recorded on Jan 1st are going to be regular fare for most of us, thus to my mind is it worth repeating-RobinBlackbirdWoodPigeonBlueTitGreatTitDunnockGoldfinchFeralPigeonCarrionCrowMagpiezzzzzzzz? I suppose it could be mandatory with a full description for each and every.
Surely It’s supposed to be a “bit of fun” it appears to have worked quite well so far judging by the number of posts it’s received. If anybody wants to use anything for e-bird then that’s fine by me.

Cheers 👍
Of course just for fun - I couldn't recall if everyone, or just most, posted up a full list and if it was one of the 'unofficial rules' or not.

The idea isn't for policing, but rather an added dimension (which handily allows you to see what 'targets' others may have seen that you still need) As I say, some might not need this, depending on if they keep their lists elsewhere. If it gets too much work or boring I'm sure we won't continue with it ...

What I didn't want to do so was to have to go back and have to edit in new dates or anything in future weeks times, so just checking if people were tending to be 'in' at this stage.

As you say, undoubtably the common birds will get covered by others anyway, although it looks as if you've probably posted a good number up anyway in your post above ;-)

I dream of seeing a Feral Pigeon up here one day Ken ;)
Late afternoon saw two more for the running total:
23 Fieldfare
24 Woodpigeon

The apparently camera shy Alpine Accentor tried to sneak back when it was nearly dark but in true French paparazzi style I flashed it through the window !

Attachments

• Alpine Acc at dusk 2.1.21.jpg
    Alpine Acc at dusk 2.1.21.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 6
I dream of seeing a Feral Pigeon up here one day Ken ;)
Late afternoon saw two more for the running total:
23 Fieldfare
24 Woodpigeon

The apparently camera shy Alpine Accentor tried to sneak back when it was nearly dark but in true French paparazzi style I flashed it through the window !
That’s a real “gripper”Richard!, only ever seen the one and having to go off island for it
My additions today were just the two flyovers...Green Woodpecker and Cormorant ☹️

January 2nd.
25. Fieldfare
- 6 flew SW
26. House Sparrow
27. GBB Gull
- one flew north, quite unusual
28. Common Gull
29. Greylag Goose
30. Blackcap
- male from last year
31. Rook
32. Raven
33. Pink-footed Goose
- skein of 45 flew NW: quite a lot over the county today
34. Long-tailed Tit

The same as yesterday with the first hour and during lunchtime in the garden. Five additions:-

16. House Sparrow
17. Redwing
18. Jackdaw
19. Canada Goose
20. Peregrine

All the best

Paul

I have a feeling that for the first few weeks this list will strongly resemble my full year list

1/1/2021

1. Blue tit
2. Great tit
3. Dunnock
4. Blackbird
5. Robin

2/1/2021

6. Carrion Crow
7. Woodpigeon
8. Magpie

I've updated the combined list on the 'World' section of the spreadsheet (link in post #10) - looks like the combined total so far is 55 ... not bad going, a total I will aspire to for the whole year perhaps! ;-)

Here is the two checklists, from my yard: https://ebird.org/checklist/S78378653 / https://ebird.org/checklist/S78478505
Canada Goose

Gadwall

Mallard

Green-winged Teal

Ring-necked Duck

Wild Turkey

Eurasian Collared-Dove

Mourning Dove

Killdeer

Wilson's Snipe

Great Blue Heron

Turkey Vulture

Sharp-shinned Hawk

Red-shouldered Hawk

Great Horned Owl

Belted Kingfisher

Yellow-bellied Sapsucker

Ladder-backed Woodpecker

Eastern Phoebe
Blue Jay

American Crow

Carolina Chickadee

Ruby-crowned Kinglet

House Wren

Carolina Wren

Bewick's Wren

European Starling
Northern Mockingbird

Eastern Bluebird

American Robin

Cedar Waxwing
House Finch

Pine Siskin

American Goldfinch

Chipping Sparrow

Field Sparrow

Fox Sparrow

Dark-eyed Junco

White-crowned Sparrow

Harris's Sparrow

White-throated Sparrow

Vesper Sparrow

Savannah Sparrow

Song Sparrow

Lincoln's Sparrow

Spotted Towhee

Western Meadowlark

Red-winged Blackbird

Yellow-rumped Warbler

Northern Cardinal

Red-tailed Hawk

Northern Flicker

Loggerhead Shrike

Golden-crowned Kinglet

Brown Creeper

Hermit Thrush

Purple Finch

Lark Bunting

Pyrrhuloxia

I guess I'll join in. I'm going to set it up the spreadsheet just like everyone else, but if I've done something wrong please let me know. Here's my yard list for now: from 1/1/20

1. Western Screech-Owl
2. Dark-eyed Junco
3. Band-tailed Pigeon
4. Morning Dove
5. Anna's Hummingbird
6. Downy Woodpecker
7. Northern Flicker
8. California Scrub-jay
9. American Crow
10. Chestnut-backed Chickadee
11. Oak Titmouse
12. Brown Creeper
13. Varied Thrush
14. Hermit Thrush
15. American Robin
16. Purple Finch
17. Lesser Goldfinch
18. Golden-crowned Sparrow
19. Spotted Towhee
20. Townsend's Warbler

Last edited:
January 3rd.
Three hours in a cold but largely dry garden.....
35. Linnet
36. Grey Wagtail

Also had some more Pink-feet but heard-only due to low cloud. Two days in a row after none at all in 2020.

Pretty wet today, so not too much action.
21. House Finch
22. Pine Siskin
23. Nuttall's Woodpecker
24. Steller's Jay
25. White-breasted Nuthatch

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back