• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden / Yard List 2021 (1 Viewer)

When I lived in Lincolnshire for several years we had a dyslexic Cuckoo. It went OOOO Cuck, OOOO Cuck. honestly!
Sounds more like it was a bit backward to me Mike.
2020 was a blank year for Cuckoo for me here and no sight or sound of one yet this year but Iโ€™m not bitter.........

One surprise this morning when a

96. Carolina Chickadee

sounded off outside the kitchen window. I haven't seen or heard this normally common resident since last October.

One more in my push for 100, although it will probably slow down considerably until autumn again.

97. Scarlet Tanager (heard only)
What a weird migration year we're having, I've normally got warbler's all over the yard until the end of the month but it seems like it's all over and very few numbers. Orioles and Tanagers all over the place though so it's not that bad.

Still a few species to come here ( at least I hope so), the latest just announced its arrival from the top of a neighbourโ€™s tree as I was taking advantage of an unexpected 3 hour pause in the showers to plant leeks in the veg plot:

77 Red-backed Shrike

Arrival dates of this summer visitor have ranged from 16 May to 4 June in the five springs weโ€™ve been here. I should get to 80 in the next week or so ( if it warms up a bit๐Ÿคž) with Griffon Vulture, Honey Buzzard and Short-toed Eagle due now.

At last! Breeding less than 2kms away up around the local ski resort, and seen most years on migration stopovers in the fields between home and the village this species has for some time had the title of 'most expected' addition to the Garden/Yard Life List. I was in a bit of a quandary for a while as I had just the briefest naked eye sighting through the window, the Black Redstart female chasing it off the wire around our raspberries before I could grab bins or camera and despite searching around our field I couldn't refind it. You could say I was 95% sure of the id. but hesitating on whether to count it. Relief all round then when 20 minutes later I decided to 'scope the fence posts around the fields towards the village and found another one, a fine male this time:

78 Whinchat

Time for another chat ;)

Another night of pouring rain stopped at dawn, and emerging from the mist and cloud, my second ever

79 Northern Wheatear

Breeds just as close as Whinchat does, perhaps I've not been trying hard enough for these two!

Attachments

• T m 23.5.21.jpg
    T m 23.5.21.jpg
    457.3 KB · Views: 3
This weeks Kullaa's Garden ticks:

#23. Raven
#24. Siskin
#25. Pied Flycatcher
#26. Willow Warbler
#27. Chiffchaff
#28. Common Tern
#29. Blackcap
#30. Wryneck
#31. Spotted Flycatcher
#32. Barn Swallow
#33. Common Gull
#34. Great Spotted Woodpecker
#35. House Martin
#36. Jackdaw
#37. Lesser Whitethroat
#38. Dunnock

Attachments

• cdeP1830443.jpg
    cdeP1830443.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 3
  • cdeP1830467.jpg
    cdeP1830467.jpg
    790.6 KB · Views: 3
  • cdeP1830558.jpg
    cdeP1830558.jpg
    879.6 KB · Views: 3
  • cdeP1830600.jpg
    cdeP1830600.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 3
  • cdeP1830776.jpg
    cdeP1830776.jpg
    811.4 KB · Views: 3
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back