• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden / Yard List 2021 (1 Viewer)

A big surprise came our way when a pair of

98. Great Crested Flycatcher

checked out both boxes this afternoon! The one is occupied by 5+ Tree Swallow chicks, while the bluebirds are getting ready for Round 2 (already fledged two chicks). I'm pretty sure the entrances are too small for the GC Fly pair anyway. It's very odd to have them in a residential setting like this, though! Almost akin to having Scarlet Tanager or Wood Thrush. They certainly weren't around all year, so maybe failed breeders looking for new "digs"?

There are only three previous yard records of this canopy-loving beauty, two heard only and one a brief flyby. Needless to say, I was "chuffed" to get photos of them at eye level.

Yesterday saw Goldfinch & Greenfinch at the feeder. I've not seen much activity on the feeders since I came back from Skye. Jackdaws have been regulars at the peanut feeder. Must point out there's been lots of Oystercatchers flying about and calling.

Like Birdmeister, my latest addition is most likely a failed/already finished breeder too, June has often thrown up the odd wanderer from lower altitudes and with the high temperatures forecast Iโ€™ll be all ears and eyes for other โ€˜exoticsโ€™๐Ÿคž

83 Wryneck

Like Birdmeister, my latest addition is most likely a failed/already finished breeder too, June has often thrown up the odd wanderer from lower altitudes and with the high temperatures forecast Iโ€™ll be all ears and eyes for other โ€˜exoticsโ€™๐Ÿคž

83 Wryneck
That would be a grdn.life tick for me!...will summon the bird gods โ€œye jammy bugger!โ€ ๐Ÿ˜„๐Ÿ‘

A big surprise came our way when a pair of

98. Great Crested Flycatcher

checked out both boxes this afternoon! The one is occupied by 5+ Tree Swallow chicks, while the bluebirds are getting ready for Round 2 (already fledged two chicks). I'm pretty sure the entrances are too small for the GC Fly pair anyway. It's very odd to have them in a residential setting like this, though! Almost akin to having Scarlet Tanager or Wood Thrush. They certainly weren't around all year, so maybe failed breeders looking for new "digs"?

There are only three previous yard records of this canopy-loving beauty, two heard only and one a brief flyby. Needless to say, I was "chuffed" to get photos of them at eye level.
Didn't process the images until too late to edit, so here goes! Only one is really decent, but the birds certainly were great.

Attachments

• GCFL_6:11:21.JPG
    GCFL_6:11:21.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 2
  • GCFL(edited)_6:11:21.JPG
    GCFL(edited)_6:11:21.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 2
  • GCFL1(edited)_6:11:21.JPG
    GCFL1(edited)_6:11:21.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 2
Had a little bit of rain here this morning too, but all it brought was dust from further south (and certainly no seabirds - well done Steve!) ๐Ÿ˜ฎ

No. About 2 miles away.
Iโ€™ll let the โ€œbrotherhoodโ€ decide on that one H!

FWIW H....Iโ€™ve had Black Redstart, Wheatear, Little Grebe, Garden Warbler, Lesser Whitethroat, Greenfinch, Firecrest, Treeper, Lesser Spot. and Coot all within a mile of my abode...and I canโ€™t have any of them.๐Ÿ˜ข๐Ÿ˜ข๐Ÿ˜ข

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back