• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden / Yard List 2021 (1 Viewer)

Hard on the heels of the previous “off the radar Sandwich Tern” like London buses sometime ago, I lamented the total absence of calling flyover nocturnal waders, compared to the early years at my abode.
When flyover Greenshank, Curlew and Whimbrel could be heard almost annually late July-August.
Last night after putting the light out at 2350 I heard a distinctive wader call “chew-it”.....in pitch and volume sounding towards something larger rather than smaller. I had a “hunch“, thus looked at Collins and the call transcription fitted!
Then Xeno Canto’d it....I then went into meltdown, it was spot on for ....Spotshank! no.90. another garden first less than six hours after the last! 😮🍷👍

First, second and third for the place respectively.

30 August
109. Western Yellow Wagtail (#128)

1 September

110. Black Stork

4 September
111. Barred Warbler

Attachments

• wyellow.jpg
    wyellow.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 8
  • cnigra3.jpg
    cnigra3.jpg
    949.2 KB · Views: 8
  • barred2.jpg
    barred2.jpg
    653.1 KB · Views: 8
It would appear I forgot a recent addition in my previous post. A September classic, now hoping its cousin European Stonechat will make an appearance in October as one did last year.
As to give a general feeling of things; after a very eventful August things have dwindled down a little in September as usual, though the start of my university studies last week certainly plays a part in this. Several classical winter species have put in early appearances this year - namely a couple of Grey Wagtails, a heard Common Chaffinch and a Grey Heron. Also the interesting presence of Song Thrushes and to a lesser extent Common Blackbirds continue; both normally winter visitor seen October onwards. I suppose this would be some post-breeding movement, but if it is, why didn't I see a single one of them these times last year?
Finally I found a 1cy European Pied Flycatcher yesterday. Not uncommon in spring but it would seem they don't use the eastern route in autumn and this is only the 2nd one I've seen here in autumn.
For the rest of the year I still have some easy patch firsts that have eluded me for the past couple of years, let's see what'll show up.

10 September
112. Whinchat

Feeders were full of Goldfinches today.
!!! Sounds like you’ve found a novel way to attract Sparrowhawks Euan 😉 I usually put birdseed in mine….
( I know what you meant really👍)
Enthused by having spotted a southbound Osprey near Geneva yesterday I did a whole afternoon’s vis-migging today, no new species for the Garden year list but a decent selection of raptors:
Griffon Vulture, Lammergeier, Short-toed Snake Eagle, Common Buzzard, Red Kite, Sparrowhawk, Goshawk, Common Kestrel and Peregrine. The Gos was a young male that decided to have some fun diving at two Raven, at one point it actually hit one of the corvids but seemed to be honing it’s hunting technique rather than looking for a meal ( Carrion Crow would be about the limit for a male anyway I would have thought). So I’m still no further on with this year’s total, still, as I often tell my wife, it’s quality not quantity that counts…….

Approaching the century mark! Stepped outside at 5 AM a few days ago and heard at least one

99. Swainson's Thrush

calling overhead. I don't really plan on birding the yard heavily this fall, but maybe I can pull off another nocturnal call or two to pass 100.

Well, I could never have predicted this!!!

I sat out for 6 hours today on a backyard hawkwatch. While it wasn't bad at all (160+ raptors), I thought it might have been a bit more active. Certainly seeing a kettle of 49 Broad-winged Hawks together was just fine. Visits by a hummingbird and one to three Cape May Warblers were very welcomed, too.

The highlight by far arrived at 4:55 PM, when a bird appeared fairly low to the NE. "Here's a falcon," I called out with a naked eye view. A quick look in the binoculars revealed this was not a falcon but... a plover?! I studied it as it steadily winged past, hardly daring to try for photos without identifying it. I immediately suspected it was this species, but a look at multiple online photos later confirmed it as an

100. American Golden-Plover (new yard bird!)

Golden-Plover is very rare in the county, last recorded at just one site in September of 2016 and 2010 (more annual before that). I had seen one of the birds in 2016, but quite distant on the flats of a dry reservoir. A yard flyover was not at all on my radar, and a wonderful way to break the century mark! Needless to say, this probably vaults right up to the top of my yard rarities list.

Multiple hummer and Cape May photos are on my eBird checklist here, as well as detailed notes on the plover and the raptor count: https://ebird.org/checklist/S94665871

With only three previous garden sightings (all between end June and mid November) since our arrival in 2016 it was good to see today's post breeding wanderer from lower altitude:

89 Middle Spotted Woodpecker

Attachments

• IMG_3775.JPG
    IMG_3775.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 14
Tirelessly scanning the large swarms of Barn Swallows that have been around for the past few days finally paid off in the form of a new species for home. Another easy one down - am I running out of those? 😬 Nope, still have to find Hawfinch!

17 September
113. Sand Martin (new-#129)

Attachments

• riparia4.jpg
    riparia4.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 0
No new garden ticks however, my 5th for the year Spotted Flycatcher yesterday (two up on last year), which in itself was an outstanding year for both flycatchers, three apiece!
Although this year, the great bird gods have not seen fit to present me with a Ficedula...yet!...I live in hope, add to that four Common Redstarts so far and it becomes an absolutely “crazy year”.
The Gods give-uth and take-uth! circa 9 apiece of Garden Warbler and Reed Warbler last year...with just the one Garden Warbler this year!!!
Hopefully the rest of September and October will provide a bit more excitement for all concerned👍

Attachments

• 3F00BB9D-A827-4791-8D67-5385562988B7.jpeg
    3F00BB9D-A827-4791-8D67-5385562988B7.jpeg
    4.7 MB · Views: 9
Amen to that! I suspect that the main wave of flycatchers has already passed though hopefully you'll get lucky with a straggler Ken.
A few signs of movement here yesterdaywith the first Firecrest since the two in April, plus a beautiful female Common Redstart which kindly came almost up to the window (to check its reflection perhaps, I'm sure it was humming the West Side Story song "I feel pretty, oh so pretty"etc):)

Attachments

• IMG_3791.JPG
    IMG_3791.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 5
Envy your Redstart shot Richard!
Although having had four visits from this jewel....I’ve not been able to “frame” one as they’ve all been in flight mode, with the one posed adult Male ended up with me making a complete Kybosh of it! :(
Interesting you mentioned Firecrest, as on paper that should be with me by the 24th. if last year’s date is to be honoured....I hereby drool in anticipation....😮👍

And bringing up the rear, with a mega:

78 : Snipe

Ken: I think your garden list is better than my patch list! I still need Spotted Flycatcher for the year!

Ken: I think your garden list is better than my patch list! I still need Spotted Flycatcher for the year!
Nice one H2, another garden/yard that has waders on the list, grrrr. Only 5.5°C here this morning, the Yellowhammers have started to reappear so I need to stock up on their budgie seed again!

Snipe is always hoped for here H, although I never got one last year, perhaps I’m due for one this year😮👍

The only yellowhammer I’ve seen in these parts, is the one in my old tool box. :(

The magnet is the North-South conduit behind the gardens H, although this year the Ficedulas and Acros appear to have taken themselves elsewhere :(

Three Snipe over my Breckland garden on Sunday 19th represented my 100th species for the year. Last year I made it by the 9th September and finished on 106. Hopefully there are some legs left in the year.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back