• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden / Yard List 2021 (1 Viewer)

I opted for a lazy morning today, having been up and out early for vismig watches the past four days. Even decided to postpone my WeBS counts until tomorrow in favour of a sit in the garden either side of emptying my moth trap. And glad I did......

October 10th.
73. Yellowhammer - one heard over
74. Crossbill - ditto
75. Reed Bunting - one migrated SW calling

Plus Brambling, Siskins, Lesser Redpoll and a few other bits and pieces all heard or seen going over, and topped off by two skeins of Pink-feet heading east just before ten o'clock. 36 species.
A just reward Steve! 33 species is the best day total I’ve had here so far this month ( and that included three distant jobs thanks to the telescope !).

Please excuse me while I turn here into my personal blog page for a little bit.
5 October 2021 will surely go down as one of those cosmic days when everything just falls into place! It started when a couple of Ring Ouzels were recorded at the normal migration points in Bosphorus in the first couple days of October, which isn't anything really unusal but it was enough to somehow put it on my radar even though it's a rarity for Ankara, at the dead center of Turkey. So I didn't have any expectations for when I went out on the noon of 5th for a quick stroll. So just imagine my surprise when I see one hopping on the lawn, giving stupendous views! And after that, another was in a nearby shrubbery. Absolutely amazing.
But that wasn't the end as some time later I heard a weird sound coming from the large trees by the pond. It was actually a sound I knew well but never on my radar for home so I just couldn't put my finger on it. It wasn't long after I had a greenish bird with a paler rump, flying in undulating flight. I bet you can guess what it was now. It hung around on the trees on the other side of the pond, until it decided the magpies were just too much and left the area.

5 October
114. Ring Ouzel (#130)
115. European Green Woodpecker (#131)

Attachments

• ouzel5.jpg
    ouzel5.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 11
  • 20211005_172706.jpg
    20211005_172706.jpg
    399.3 KB · Views: 11
Had an unexpected but pleasant tick a few days ago when a male

101. Pine Warbler

landed in the backyard. It turned out that a small flock was roving through, containing 3 Cape May, 1 Yellow-rumped Warbler, and a Ruby-crowned Kinglet. A nice late-season grouping.

But that wasn't the end as some time later I heard a weird sound coming from the large trees by the pond. It was actually a sound I knew well but never on my radar for home so I just couldn't put my finger on it. It wasn't long after I had a greenish bird with a paler rump, flying in undulating flight. I bet you can guess what it was now. It hung around on the trees on the other side of the pond, until it decided the magpies were just too much and left the area.

5 October
114. Ring Ouzel (#130)
115. European Green Woodpecker (#131)
Speaking of woodpeckers, the Middle Spotted reappeared this morning, for once hanging around long enough for me to get a better souvenir pic :)

Attachments

• Pic mar 12.10.21.jpg
    Pic mar 12.10.21.jpg
    952.4 KB · Views: 8
Just getting into my car, on the way to work this morning when 20 Redwings, calling went over. And with them, also calling were 2

79 : BRAMBLINGS

October 13th - another great morning session
76. Hawfinch - one migrated west low overhead, calling: a county scarcity
77. Nuthatch - one calling nearby later flew across the garden
78. Teal - a flock of 11 high to the NW
All against a backdrop of 810 Redwings migrating westish.

Waking up 7am-ish to c.five sightings of Goldcrest, within 10 mins.+ 2 Chaffinch (first since Spring) and a flock of Redwings low over the garden, with one dropping in to feast on the Hawthorn berries (again first touchdown since Spring).
I thought today could be good, sure enough on time the commoner of the two dropped in swiftly followed by the “rarer” which had already preceded no.93….Firecrest.😀

Attachments

• AD9BAE9C-9289-4B0B-85D2-2DECAA94A1F4.jpeg
    AD9BAE9C-9289-4B0B-85D2-2DECAA94A1F4.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 18
  • FC34799D-CB7A-4775-8179-568839FA9C6A.jpeg
    FC34799D-CB7A-4775-8179-568839FA9C6A.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 17
Well, I suppose any publicity is good publicity, they should do a version of Dylan’s Blowin’ in The Wind then!
And Scorpions Wind of change...

What comes to my garden (in Kotka this time) and birds:

#70. Spruce Siskin - I can't understand how I have missed this before. I'm sure I have seen it in some point, but I probably thought it was already on the lists... :rolleyes:

And Scorpions Wind of change...

What comes to my garden (in Kotka this time) and birds:

#70. Spruce Siskin - I can't understand how I have missed this before. I'm sure I have seen it in some point, but I probably thought it was already on the lists... :rolleyes:
Had one last Winter!…..but none so far this fall!

Cheers

Plenty of Brambling visiting the garden but no Siskin yet, though I've seen a few not far away recently. The male Black Redstart of our breeding pair finally left on the 22nd, just one passing young/female since. This morning I decided to emulate some of you and do some 'vis-migging', after one hour I'd managed no birds but one Stoat heading west (well it was until it saw me when it undertook a reverse migration strategy ;)).
Bird wise, the day was saved by the Middle Spotted Woodpecker coming nice and close to the house at dusk, surely only a matter of time before it starts copying its Greater Spotted cousin and visits the feeders!
So no additions for the year in October but my eBird stats tell me I managed 51 species so not that shabby I suppose.

Attachments

• IMG_4071.JPG
    IMG_4071.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 9
Done it! Reached the magic 90 for the year for the Garden List for the first time this morning, a case of history repeating itself as the first snow on the ground persuaded the first Citril Finch to come and join in the feeding fun, just as happened on 4th November two years ago. It unfortunately has a growth on one leg, such as I see on Chaffinches sometimes. The bad weather causing an increase in Yellowhammer numbers too, at least 22 this morning. I am definitely on Pine Bunting alert from now on ;):

90 Citril Finch

Attachments

• Vent  mon 3.11.21.jpg
    Vent mon 3.11.21.jpg
    1,018 KB · Views: 13
  • V m et B jaune 3.11.21.jpg
    V m et B jaune 3.11.21.jpg
    919.2 KB · Views: 13
  • First snow 3.11.21.jpg
    First snow 3.11.21.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 13
It’s good to see someone’s got some seed eaters, apart from Goldfinch and two “oh so brief” visits from a singleton male Chaffinch plus a 2nd foy Female House Sparrow (also brief) the garden has been bereft!

Paradoxically today…I’ve had c1/2 dozen flocks of between 6-12 bounding (non Cardueline) finches heading North, unfortunately all in sillhouette and too bloody far away for ID! 😩
Still….like the images Richard! 👍

However I shouldn’t complain as October has been bountiful for me in more ways than one. With a mystery short-tailed Brown Chiffy “type” bird, (briefly once more) on the 8th October, no images unfortunately 😩

Only a smidgen bigger than a Crest and behaviour as Firecrest, totally unlike Chiffy a species I get daily between mid July-mid Oct.
Although only seen twice in flight and once with a head and throat only…it alerted my “goosebumps”😮

It constituted the 4th “Brown” Chiffy through between 30th Sep and 9th October this year, which in itself is remarkable! as I’ve only had 3 others since 2011 all occurring circa mid October and presumed tristis….but this was a different ‘orse…of the same colour! 😮

Subsequently we went off to the Norfolk coast for a few days, where I met a seasoned birder who was “heavily” into Phylloscs.
When I mentioned the circumstances surrounding my small brown Chiffy explaining the size and behaviour etc. he looked at me quite casually and asked If I’d “considered “neglectus”…..to which I replied “no!” as I was unfamiliar with the taxon….but it’s beginning to grow on me.😊

Attachments

• 8539943F-409D-41C6-B76B-742672A14A6C.jpeg
    8539943F-409D-41C6-B76B-742672A14A6C.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 3
Thanks Ken, it was as black as your father’s hat outside even though it was nearly midday!
I think getting people to accept the idea of your warbler being p. neglectus would definitely not be ‘Plain’ sailing;)

Thanks Ken, it was as black as your father’s hat outside even though it was nearly midday!
I think getting people to accept the idea of your warbler being p. neglectus would definitely not be ‘Plain’ sailing;)
Perhaps I prefer the challenge of a “storm in a tea cup” Richard 😂

….I’m not “now” in the business of getting outside acceptance, too long in the tooth to deal with those that weren’t there, always preferring those that were and taking them to task accordingly
Remember, behind every dark cloud there’s a “rare” 😊👍

Was starting to think the end of the year was nigh, but today did deliver some birds. Kingfisher is being seen regularly in the garden now, in fact there were 2, possibly 3 birds today. Some Redwings over also a Siskin and Meadow Pipit, Little Egret, Grey Heron, Cormorant, Kestrel, Buzzard and Great Spotted Woodpecker.
However, the highlight of the day was whilst watching through the trees into the flooded Carr across the road. I have been seeing Teal quite often this autumn, after only garden-ticking them last winter, a flock of up to 20 birds has been frequent. This afternoon they were superseded by a pair of Wigeon that swam into and then out of view within 20 seconds. #105 for the year. I had been hoping to score a Gadwall but was very pleased with these. Only seen once before as a flyover, a flock of c.15 3 years ago. Gets onto the ‘on the deck’ list too, which stands at 69% of all garden sightings.
I watched for a good hour afterwards, hoping for a photo op, but nada. Maybe tomorrow.

Well looks like I let go of this thread a little but it won't be hard to get back up to date, as nothing interesting showed up.
I did get 3 new species for home though - 2 heard-only (as expected) larks and the first plastic birds of the patch - hoping those don't become a permanent feature 😬
Lots of movement high up in the sky these days so it would be my best bet for new species is to keep both ears open. My top targets (all would-be new for home) are Hawfinch, Red Crossbill, Corn Bunting, Meadow & Water Pipits, Short-toed Treecreeper, Common Wood Pigeon, Merlin, and whatever may show up at the pond.

19 October
116. Mistle Thrush

23 October
117. Eurasian Skylark (#132)

4 November
118. Brambling
119. Woodlark (#133)

9 November
120. Rose-ringed Parakeet (#134)

Attachments

• rose.jpg
    rose.jpg
    156.9 KB · Views: 3
November 15th
79. Great White Egret - one flew steadily SE not that far east of me. Only my second garden record despite seeing up to 11 on the local reservoir recently.
Also my 2nd 2021 record of Goosander today, a male flying north. Otherwise the past couple of weeks have been rather quiet, with just my 2nd Hawfinch of the year and a couple of skeins of Pinkfeet as highlights.

Very quiet still here too, with this everlasting anticyclone not encouraging movement from the north (or anywhere else for that matter). Yesterday was good though with the 'Royal Flush' of Coal, Blue, Willow, Marsh, Crested and Great Tit all visiting the feeders and a flock of eight Long tailed Tits (I know, I know) in the apple tree briefly. 30 species seen in or from the garden in the day. I clearly need to invest in a bigger bird bath for the tits' dusk ablutions, the Crested Tit was last to arrive and took one look at the water and flew off, as if to say, "I'm not going in that water after the mess that other lot have left". 😮 Photo of the various visitors plus one very interested observer .....

Attachments

• Coal and Blue.jpg
    Coal and Blue.jpg
    560.7 KB · Views: 6
  • Crested.jpg
    Crested.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 6
  • Marsh Blue and Great.jpg
    Marsh Blue and Great.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 7
  • tit willow tit willow.jpg
    tit willow tit willow.jpg
    648.9 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_4137.JPG
    IMG_4137.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 6
Back on the 17th of November, I arrived home to hear a thin "seeee" coming from somewhere nearby. It didn't take long to discover it was a

102. Brown Creeper (new yard bird!)

working the neighbor's tree below eye level! I've always hoped for a Creeper, but the habitat isn't ideal. Maybe this one was a migrant? In any case, this delightful bird worked its way through the yard and provided some simply incredible views before moving on.

Those who have followed my posts will know my photos are rarely "fit to print", but this one was so close (within 5m) that I couldn't miss!

Attachments

• BRCR(closeup)_11:17:21.png
    BRCR(closeup)_11:17:21.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 2
  • BRCR(edited)_11:17:21.png
    BRCR(edited)_11:17:21.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 2
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back