• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden/Yard List 2022 (1 Viewer)

I still need no.16 Sue!…not to mention House Sparrow. :(
It seems all the House sparrows here are hanging out in the small green space around the corner from me. I walked there earlier and the bushes were alive with the sound of chatter. I don't know where all the white-crowned went. Mainly, I have Allen's Hummingbirds, Yellow-rumped warblers, crows and an Orange-crowned warbler with a dirty face from eating out of the hummer feeder. I am going out quite often and scanning the skies, that's the only way I'm going to get anything. Just came back in after a quick scan. Got #19. Double-crested Cormy. I've seen gulls twice, but couldn't ID--too far. Pretty sure they were both Ring-billed. I have also put a chair out in the front garden so I can increase my chances to pull ahead of Dan. Maybe I won't be DFL.;)

A 2nd heavy frost in succession this am, almost certainly moved these birds over and betwixt the lakes, Mute Swans and Greylags 5 minutes apart! 41 & 42 respectively.

Attachments

• B621E82B-34F3-4D33-862F-5023858E32B0.jpeg
    B621E82B-34F3-4D33-862F-5023858E32B0.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 10
A 2nd heavy frost in succession this am, almost certainly moved these birds over and betwixt the lakes, Mute Swans and Greylags 5 minutes apart! 41 & 42 respectively.
Ah, webbed wonders, Great Cormorant is still the only swim - capable species on my garden list here. No time for swanning about myself of course ;), but we had a think yesterday and our mammal list is as follows:
Red Deer
Roe Deer
Chamois
Wild Boar
Fox
Red Squirrel
Pine Marten ( heard only but seen just 500m down the road)
Badger
Brown Hare
Stoat
Pipistrelle sp (lives in our roof space!)
Large Bat sp
Bank Vole
Yellow-necked Field Mouse
White-toothed Shrew*
Pygmy Shrew*
*I need to take photos or measurements of the shrews in future but looking at images and also local(ish) records these two are probably the ones we’ve seen.
Grey Wolf is present but not seen or heard one from home yet, Wildcat also nearby and we found a dead Edible Dormouse five minutes walk up the lane two years ago - the neighbours also claim to have seen a Lynx a few years back!

Timing is all in Garden watching. Fortunately walking/looking in the right direction at the right time this morning when a Duck Goosander #53
flew West along the course of the river. All over in seconds, if I’d been facing in the opposite direction it would have slipped through unnoticed!

Only my second sighting, after 2 actually in the garden last March, now that was surprising. Pictures of those below.

F1E1DD5C-8D5B-4383-A24F-AA10899A45C1.jpeg
5DD1C22B-61D3-4431-A1B4-1AE29D7FAC74.jpeg
00AFFC7F-4CCD-4DEB-94BD-A80A6F23E666.jpeg

Kingfisher came and landed besides me this morning, as I was stood very still, unfortunately it was behind a tree. Little Egret in the very low river. ~15 silent mystery small Finches flew over, but then 3 Siskins dropped in, so mystery solved. They are much more likely than Redpoll to be fair.

Speaking of small birds, I stood shivering outside for half an hour before dawn today listening hard for Pygmy Owl, still a few weeks early perhaps but at least I heard another tiny species with a big voice:

37 Wren

I'm at my daughter's for four days dog sitting. I'm certain that if I were home, I'd be ahead of Dan by about six species. Hate it when that happens.

I'm at my daughter's for four days dog sitting. I'm certain that if I were home, I'd be ahead of Dan by about six species. Hate it when that happens.
Our competition isn't that intense that you would regularly be ahead of me by about six species? LOL

My Garden list last year was 55. Whereabouts in the US are you and what are you expecting for the year? (ie I'm expecting you to be in a different league as the year progresses?!)

A lovely clear evening last night, so I stood at the bedroom window hoping for a flyover Woodcock - zilch. However what looked like a small flock of Teal flew over.

This morning, 2 Teal in the garden, I see them across the road, still within my patch, but these are the first in the garden.

Later a female Blackcap appeared on the feeders briefly. I thought I’d got a shot but it seems I hadn’t clicked record on the phone. I’ve only seen the male once this year, but it’s nice to know there’s a couple around.

View attachment FullSizeRender.mov

Our competition isn't that intense that you would regularly be ahead of me by about six species? LOL

My Garden list last year was 55. Whereabouts in the US are you and what are you expecting for the year? (ie I'm expecting you to be in a different league as the year progresses?!)
Not likely. I live in Leisure World in Seal Beach, California. It's a tightly packed place that looks like a 1950s Army barracks. I call it Soylent Green Estates. It's not a good birdy place. It's not a good place for anything except easy access to a great hospital with the best cancer group ever. My husband needs that. If I go down the road to Bolsa Chica Wetlands or to the back bay in Newport, I would see a lot. I think I will only get lucky with flyovers. I doubt I'll get to 55, but who knows? I've never stuck this out for the whole year, but I'm going to try to do it this time. I'm only kidding about our 'competition'; I only say that because of your comment about being at the bottom. I'm fully expecting to win the Blue-footed Booby prize, but I need a distraction. I miss the wild places!
EDIT: But I did put a chair outside to help boost the list.;)

Last edited:
Not likely. I live in Leisure World in Seal Beach, California. It's a tightly packed place that looks like a 1950s Army barracks. I call it Soylent Green Estates. It's not a good birdy place. It's not a good place for anything except easy access to a great hospital with the best cancer group ever. My husband needs that. If I go down the road to Bolsa Chica Wetlands or to the back bay in Newport, I would see a lot. I think I will only get lucky with flyovers. I doubt I'll get to 55, but who knows? I've never stuck this out for the whole year, but I'm going to try to do it this time. I'm only kidding about our 'competition'; I only say that because of your comment about being at the bottom. I'm fully expecting to win the Blue-footed Bobby prize, but I need a distraction. I miss the wild places!
EDIT: But I did put a chair outside to help boost the list.;)
I've put velux windows in our roof with the express purpose of upping the bird list, so merely putting a chair outside is nothing ... pah! ;-)

We'll see - the competition remains.

I've put velux windows in our roof with the express purpose of upping the bird list, so merely putting a chair outside is nothing ... pah! ;-)

We'll see - the competition remains.
Obviously, a worthy adversary; I accept the challenge. Too bad the Golden Rain Foundation (can you believe that name!) won't allow bird feeders, or I could bribe feathered visitors. I am allowed Hummingbird feeders, which I have.

Obviously, a worthy adversary; I accept the challenge. Too bad the Golden Rain Foundation (can you believe that name!) won't allow bird feeders, or I could bribe feathered visitors. I am allowed Hummingbird feeders, which I have.

Could you perhaps accidently fill them with seeds? Or just put some down on the ground in the vicinity? Trust your husband is doing well (and have you been able to rope him in as an extra spotter?!)

Your location sounds a bit dodgy! (btw did you mean to write Blue-footed 'Bobby' earlier? ;-) )

Could you perhaps accidently fill them with seeds? Or just put some down on the ground in the vicinity? Trust your husband is doing well (and have you been able to rope him in as an extra spotter?!)

Your location sounds a bit dodgy! (btw did you mean to write Blue-footed 'Bobby' earlier? ;-) )
He's doing well, thanks. LOL, I'll edit so no one thinks I'm referring to a cop who works in Leeds.

Gene may help because all he has to do is look out the door, but he isn't big on birding. Something to do with things that happened to him while out with me. Leeches between his toes when he went with me to find a Southern Cassowary in Mission Beach, Australia, or being eaten alive by mosquitos when I dragged him out to verify Pygmy Cormorant in the Po Delta, Italy. Those are mozzies surrounding his head. He may be a great navigator that got us around the world, and managed to fight off stage 4 cancer; but he's nothing but a wimp. ;)

Attachments

• mozzie morning 2.jpg
    mozzie morning 2.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 3
Oh, and he's already rolling his eyes about my plans to go to the swamps in Louisiana. I've only gotten as far as where; haven't even got a route yet. Of course I'm not doing the shortest, ugliest way. I told him he didn't have to go, but he says he's not letting me go alone. I have a feeling he's not going to have a good time.

Gene may help because all he has to do is look out the door, but he isn't big on birding. Something to do with things that happened to him while out with me. Leeches between his toes when he went with me to find a Southern Cassowary in Mission Beach, Australia, or being eaten alive by mosquitos when I dragged him out to verify Pygmy Cormorant in the Po Delta, Italy. Those are mozzies surrounding his head. He may be a great navigator that got us around the world, and managed to fight off stage 4 cancer; but he's nothing but a wimp.
There you go - use him as bait/draw the birds in as a feeding station ;)

(Presume someone will be along to report an actual bird to this thread at some point lol)

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back