• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden / Yard List 2024 (4 Viewers)

February 4th
51. Song Thrush
- one singing quite a way off before light - heard from the bathroom.

Otherwise a very quiet start to the month.
Several of its cousins (Mistle Thrush) singing here before dawn Steve but no Song Thrush returnees yet (they all leave here for the winter). I walked up to 1300m. asl. through the forest in the dark hoping to get lucky with Pygmy Owl around daybreak or failing that, the Hazel Hen I have only just discovered nearby. Well the two and a half hours’ exercise did me good I suppose…..:mad:
First Chaffinch song of the year this morning though (1 day earlier than the earliest previous records in 2021 and 2023) and this ongoing dry and sunny spell has prompted some species to act as though it’s already March, a rude awakening for them is due midweek when rain and then snow should return!

Having seen one on the forest edge last week I had my radar working for the high pitched note I heard just now, and there shimmying up the Elm was a

46 Common Treecreeper

I hope its Short-toed relative will put in an appearance again this year after a brief visit last year following breeding in next door’s garden in 2022.

Having found 3 Teal in the stream on two alternate days, just a couple of hundred metres outback, I’ve been scanning in vain for flypasts this week…alas to no avail!
However the silver lining to this quest was just realised, when I caught sight of a fast “long-billed goody” kissing the treetops going North…no.55 Woodcock! 😊

Fresh crisp snow, a lovely blue sky and sun making it look a treat, even better for a dead cute Pygmy Owl sitting enjoying the sunshine this morning just beyond my feeders, not appreciated very much by the rest of the birds.

Whooper Swans and White-tailed Eagles lingering despite the continuing hold of winter. From the comfort of bed, both Grey-headed Woodpecker and Great Grey Shrike today too.

25. Pygmy Owl

Two more additions today, very expected species - Willow Tits (had several joining the Marsh Tits before Christmas, but they seemd to have vanished ...two new ones today on the feeders) and Goldfinch (flock of about 12 across the snowy meadows)

26. Willow Tit
27. Goldfinch

Still two usual woodpecker species (Black and White-backed) strangely absent since the turn of the year

At last!!!! 41 days into the year…Stah-lin…no.56
East low over the house + my ‘edgewings are back.😊

Attachments

• DSC06743.jpeg    Redwing 00016.jpeg
    DSC06743.jpeg Redwing 00016.jpeg
    573 KB · Views: 3
  • DSC06789.jpeg    Redwing 0001.jpeg
    DSC06789.jpeg Redwing 0001.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 3
The long mild spell up here finally ending today with snow expected around our altitude tomorrow, a good thing too as everything's getting ahead of itself. For example, two male Wren vying for the favours of a female were entertaining me this morning.
As if to show they consult the weather forecast, nine Brambling turned up this morning after almost a fortnight without any, the Common Treecreeper showed again and two male Hawfinch needed a brave Goldfinch to keep them apart and referee their punch up ;)
A little annoyed to see 4 Jay wolfing down the seed I'd put down for any passing Pine Buntings so I stepped outside to gently shoo them away, glad I did, for there on next door's roof was a record breaking

47 White Wagtail !

Record breaking in that it smashed the previous earliest of the year date by 8 days, it's usually a race between them and Song Thrush to be the first of our returning altitudinal migrant breeders. It seemed to have a faint yellowish cast around the face as if it was a 1st Winter, but the light was poor, I would have thought that they all (ie. adults and last year's youngsters) look the same by now?
Pine Marten and Fox visited the other night, let's see what the snow brings.....

Attachments

• 02080024.JPG
    02080024.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 7
  • 02080032.JPG
    02080032.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 8
  • DSCN0436.JPG
    DSCN0436.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 7
  • DSCN0446.JPG
    DSCN0446.JPG
    7.5 MB · Views: 7
  • DSCN0455.JPG
    DSCN0455.JPG
    7.2 MB · Views: 7
Managed prolonged views of the local S.E.Owl while gardening yesterday. It was showing on and off all afternoon. Usually only get a one off few seconds view. Wasn't impressed to see a numpty on a motorbike ploughing through the area it usually roosts in! Had a weird sighting in the garden today what I thought was a moribund Collared Dove was actually dead and was sitting under a low shrub without any obvious injuries.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back