• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden / Yard List 2024 (5 Viewers)

(could still get Spotted Flycatcher, but unfortunately these have become near extinct on my land over the years - from several breeding pairs to occasional individuals in each of the last few years ...but I fear maybe my first blank year ever for this bird).
Well, they left it late, but Spotted Flycatchers have arrived ...very welcome. Also one Nightjar the night before last, this now seemingly becoming a traditional to get occasional summer birds on my entrance track, despite being several kilometres from the nearest habitat I would call suitable for them

134. Nightjar
135. Spotted Flycatcher

It must be a June thing. Two years ago, I found this by my front door. 🚪

View attachment 1583243
Well, that was well talked up. #78 Nuthatch this morning, calling from a corner of the garden.

It looks like it is becoming a June thing. Dispersing juveniles?

IMG_2113.jpeg

The grey square was the dead one. You can see its local demise from the 2019 records. Perhaps that was the outlier, and recent years are the norm. I will never know, as I only arrived here mid-way through 2018.

Just had a Little Egret over the garden 2nd ever iirc. A bit of an anomaly as I am getting them every time on my local patch a few hundred yards from the house. Nice to see the first juv Goldfinch yesterday as numbers are way down this year.

No new additions of late, but it might be worth commenting on two bop species that have increased dramatically over for example last year!
Red Kite sightings (suspect involving 4 birds at least) as of Wed.last…60 since Jan 1.
that in itself, is a doubling of last year same time.
However, coming up fast at lightening speed…Hobby! giving me a hat-trick of 3 together on Monday last..albeit briefly, with my total since April 30th of 44!
Now, the no.1 appearance Falcon from abode, eclipsing Kestrel 28….and Peregrine 5!
The now daily Hobby is an absolute joy to watch, arrowing fast over the trees sometimes with prey being eaten on the wing.
Have had plenty of shots, but living under seemingly blanket cloud, I’ve yet to get a decent one…best of a bad bunch.😮

Attachments

• IMG_2141.jpeg
    IMG_2141.jpeg
    589.6 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_2093.jpeg
    IMG_2093.jpeg
    826.7 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_2071.jpeg
    IMG_2071.jpeg
    367.2 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_2069.jpeg
    IMG_2069.jpeg
    746.7 KB · Views: 5
One surprising addition today came with a singing

86. Bell's Vireo

in the neighbor's yard. Although they're a common breeder in mesquite desert washes and riparian zones, our yard isn't quite the right habitat for them to stay and nest in. I'm still surprised that they don't show up more during migration. This is only the second yard record after one last August.

I got a quick audio recording of its jumbled, lively song.

Attachments

• BEVI_06_08_24.mp3
    105.8 KB
Last edited:
Hobby over yesterday close but very brief. Also another leucistic Blackbird 4th or 5th in last couple of years. This one was totally different to the others with the white feathering restricted to its back rather than the head as on the others I have had.

Hobby over yesterday close but very brief. Also another leucistic Blackbird 4th or 5th in last couple of years. This one was totally different to the others with the white feathering restricted to its back rather than the head as on the others I have had.
A leucistic Blackbird here too two days ago, had me going for a bit as it was in dappled shade, thought it was a Mistle Thrush at first. An odd thing with asymetric plumage.

Yesterday my 2 year quest was fulfilled - I’ve been religiously checking any and all blue damselflies that are a) far enough away to focus on and b) close enough to see enough detail. Not easy when they are mostly out over the stream, anyhoo - finally Variable Damselfly added to the garden Odonata list, number 21.

For three days running I have not seen a single Butterfly in the garden, mid June, very worrying.

A tick of sorts today, some noisy jets directly over the garden, a thankfully rare occurrence. They looked like Harriers, maybe the USAF version AV-8B? But happy to be corrected, John?

View attachment IMG_2131.mov

A leucistic Blackbird here too two days ago, had me going for a bit as it was in dappled shade, thought it was a Mistle Thrush at first. An odd thing with asymetric plumage.

Yesterday my 2 year quest was fulfilled - I’ve been religiously checking any and all blue damselflies that are a) far enough away to focus on and b) close enough to see enough detail. Not easy when they are mostly out over the stream, anyhoo - finally Variable Damselfly added to the garden Odonata list, number 21.

For three days running I have not seen a single Butterfly in the garden, mid June, very worrying.

A tick of sorts today, some noisy jets directly over the garden, a thankfully rare occurrence. They looked like Harriers, maybe the USAF version AV-8B? But happy to be corrected, John?

View attachment 1584673
Yep, Harrier IIs but I don't know whose, not many operators left now. Maybe USMC (USAF never adopted Harrier) or Spanish but I hadn't heard of either due to visit the UK. Spanish are coming to RIAT but that's not till July.

Very good catch indeed!

John

Yep, Harrier IIs but I don't know whose, not many operators left now. Maybe USMC (USAF never adopted Harrier) or Spanish but I hadn't heard of either due to visit the UK. Spanish are coming to RIAT but that's not till July.

Very good catch indeed!

John
Thanks. Something to do with D Day I expect. There were certainly 2, possibly 3 or 4.

Normally the fighters are at Lakenheath, and Mildenhall stuff rarely comes over our place. But these were smack over the garden, as I was getting out of the car, hence the poor shot, and seemed to go into Mildenhall.

Sadly today’s arrival was missed by me, as I was out of town when a Black Kite went SW over RAF Mildenhall. The news broke contemporaneously on our local WhatsApp group, so I may just have had a chance of connecting.

Had a mooch about the garden at lunchtime and momentarily had my hopes up when a Kite, carrying some avian prey hive in to view, sadly it was Red.

View attachment IMG_2133.mov

Another bit of excitement when the Crows picked on something in the treetops, but it was just a Buzzard, and another Buzzard seen higher up.

All was not lost as #79 Hobby suddenly appeared directly overhead, fairly low, and was quickly lost behind the trees.

The pair of Grey Wagtails that bred literally a few metres outside of the garden have fledged 2, maybe 3 young for their second brood. I watched them being fed today, left the nest today, they can only just fly.

Judging from activity and odd calls, I think we have a 2nd pair under the decking. It’s amazing how quiet they are, until fledging. I should imagine it’s unusual to have 2 nests within 200m, but what do I know.

5th day, at least, without a single Butterfly in the garden, very depressing, and doesn’t bode well for next year at this rate.

Another biggish (6-700mm) Jack Pike, seen chomping on a Roach this afternoon.

View attachment IMG_2135.mov

Our garden yesterday, 14/06/24,

Male and female Siskin,
Goldfinch (5+),
House Sparrow,
Magpie,
Feral Pigeon,
Male Greenfinch,
Great Spotted Woodpecker,
Sparrowhawk.

Tawny Owl, at dusk.

Our garden yesterday, 14/06/24,

Male and female Siskin,
Goldfinch (5+),
House Sparrow,
Magpie,
Feral Pigeon,
Male Greenfinch,
Great Spotted Woodpecker,
Sparrowhawk.

Tawny Owl, at dusk.
Welcome aboard Weimy, what's an average year total there for you, are you near the coast?

I've failed miserably at keeping this up to date but here are the last 3 months efforts:

47) Oystercatcher
48) Osprey
49) Whimbrel
50) Red kite
51) Mallard
52) Swift
53) House martin
54) Cuckoo
55) Lesser redpoll
56) Black kite
57) Hobby

Its been a poor spring but the raptor movements down here have been the undoubted highlights!

Nocmig efforts at the house have slowed down as I have been targeting the valleys instead with my recorder but still managed a few more additions to the garden list:

xi) Night heron
xii) Barn owl
xiii) Coot

Users who are viewing this thread

Back