• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gardeners' Question time (1 Viewer)

colincurry

England
Probably a bit cheeky but two patches of our garden have been taken over by an invasive and prolific plant. My wife is the gardener and cannot remember planting these - I am used for brute force and ignorance.

The plants are about 30 inches tall and have dwarfed the pentstemon and Californian poppies.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Colin

IMG_4614 BF.jpg

IMG_4615 BF.jpg

I planted some to attract insects which it does.......however it is so widespread now with a very tough and complex root system. Tough on the wrists when digging out. Good luck.

Probably a bit cheeky but two patches of our garden have been taken over by an invasive and prolific plant. My wife is the gardener and cannot remember planting these - I am used for brute force and ignorance.

The plants are about 30 inches tall and have dwarfed the pentstemon and Californian poppies.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Colin

View attachment 730089

View attachment 730090
Just general advice. If you have the time and want to get rid of it perhaps less laboriously, just slash it to the ground before it sets seed (if indeed that is the reproduction process). Plants often have difficulty growing in their own mulch. It may take more than one cycle depending on the 'weed' and successional plants.

Try and plant something as well that will coexist with what you want, and better use the obviously available nutrients deeper in the soil.

Chosun :gh:

It's not Hemp Agrimony. I think it may be Soapwort, Saponaria officinalis. Maybe post when the flowers are out. This plant does occur as an escape from cultivation & can form extensive patches like this.

Well, we let it flower but did not find it impressive, nor did the insects.

Have grubbed it out - two main infestations. It is persistent and have just completed the fourth attempt.

I am not a natural gardener; more a hewer of wood and a drawer of water. I rely on my wife for the real knowledge. I copied a photo of the plant from one of her herb books and keep in the garage as a ready reference guide to try to ensure that I do not destroy the wrong plant.

Colin

Hi Colin, with similar ID issues for plants in my garden, I inherited lots of unknowns and sow a lot of wild mixes, I have been using an app called Picture This, it’s not foolproof but can help and then I will check it in books etc, just though would mention in case useful to you and other members

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back