• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Garganey (1 Viewer)

Ashley beolens

Breeding the next generation of birders.
This garganey was taken using CP4500, through Optlyth TBS80 scope, using apature control settings (which I have forgotten)

I have two requests firstly can anyone recomend a way to not get the glare when I take a photo of white objects, It keeps happening to me.

and second is there a way to clear them off?

Attachments

• garganey 04-2003.jpg
    garganey 04-2003.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 273

paula

Sorry Ashley, but I do not know the answers to your questions. I think it is something to do with the exposure setting, with white bits on birds it is better to underexpose and lighten up in a photo-editing program, but I know nothing about digiscoping .
The picture looks rather soft on focus or perhaps it is camera shake.

You've got glare there because the Garganey has a wet head after feeding, and the sun is reflecting off the water - nothing to do about this, other than wait for it to preen & dry off! (or wait for it to turn to a different angle to the sun)

Michael

IanF

Hi Ashley,

Thanks for posting the photo. First let me say that I'm no expert at Critique, I just tend to look at a photo and post what I see, trying to suggest tips for improvement, using the experience that I have gained over the years. Hopefully the comments will be of help.

Nice to see a Garganey on the site. We have had then round here too, but my efforts have come out a bit like yours.

Really there are a few things wrong with this photo which are certainly beyond my ability to correct. As has been mentioned , the glare from the reflection of the sun has burn out the adjoining areas obliterating any colourinformation. I'm sure the effect could be reduced using the lasso tool from one of the photo imaging packages like Photoshop or Paint Shop Pro. To minimise the effect of burnt out highlights I find it's best to try to set the exposure for the brightest area of the bird. Many cameras have an exposure compensation button/dial often called an EV setting, which allows you to do adjust exposure slightly so that you can retain colours and detail in either very bright or dim subjects/areas. A downside is that in bright sunny conditions especially, the background can come out very dark, thouh this isn't neccessarily displeasing to look at. I still have a Pochard photo in the Gallery showing this effect.

The lighting conditions for your photo are very difficult ones. It looks as it the sun was almost over head when you took the shot if not a little looking into it. Ideally I find that bright ovrecast days give far superior results to sunny ones. In sunshine then it should always be behind you to give the best lighting of the subject. I see that you have both yellow and purple fringing on your shot. These are exacerbated by the bright conditions. Both can be reduced and probably by using the Hue/Saturation tool in Photoshop or in Qimage or even painstakingly using the clone tool in many programs.

Another issue with your shot is the focus, which is a bit on the soft side. This can be caused by many things, the qulaity of the glass in your equipment, too slow a shutter speed, in accurate focus lock, panning, hand holding etc. Technique wise I can only say practice helps. To be hoonest in this shot focus does seem to be on the bird, it's just come out soft. It could be sharpened but with the lighting conditions I don't think it would help greatly.

Composition wise, the shot would have been better if the bird had been positioned more to the left of the shot, so that it had an area to be looking into or in this case swimming into. I onl recentl picked up this tip from Brian and I really does make a difference.

I would still keep this shot myself as a record shot, but delete it when I had something better.

I'd have to give this effort 1 star.

Users who are viewing this thread