• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garmin Instinct (1 Viewer)

b_reynolds_ak

I have a Suunto Core Alu that has been through loads of abuse in the last 6 years and is still working great. However I wanted a heart rate option. I decided to go to a Garmin Instinct for my new ABC watch. It is fantastic! They can be bought for only $199. Using GPS, the altimeter function is more accurate that using baro alone. There are some great reviews online for the Instinct. I would highly recommend it. The sunrise/sunset widget is great for determining viewing times for wildlife.

I must admit, I thought Garmin's days were numbered with the advent of Smartphones, with GPS and mapping / routing built in. However, I was wrong, and they are producing some great products which compliment the smartphone technology.

I have had the Instinct for a few days, it seems excellent. Although you are limited to the features supplied, and can't go importing more widgets etc. it is very customisable, and doesn't seem to be missing anything.

The "flashlight" is the only disappointment so far!

Excellent for wildlife watching because we don't need the full-on GPS tracking as we tend to move quite slowly, and can get by with the less battery intensive tracking mode.

I'm starting to prefer it having buttons as opposed to touchscreen. Especially now I have a familiarity with what I've set the hot keys up to do.

Another example of something 5 months ago which seems like years ago!
My Instinct watch never really got tested in the field during surveys, as they were all cancelled!
The watch battery failed a couple of weeks ago, and has been replaced.

It's been very good though. I'm not sure if the battery saver GPS mode is particularly accurate, i've switched to the GPS + glonass to see how that performs, and the impact on my battery life.
As long as the battery lasts more than 7 days I'm happy, as i have a routine of charging it up every Thursday.

Also a new model with solar power, and tide tables has just been released which may be even more useful for wildlife related stuff.

Last edited:
I have had a new Garmin Instinct for about 2 weeks now. I charged it the first day after receiving it and only just yesterday did it drop to 2 out of 5 bars of life.
I don't use the GPS function a lot, but have used it for some field work/monitoring I've been doing.
The battery life, rugged nature, and my experience with previous Garmin fitness trackers was my main impetus in purchasing it. In some respects it seems a bit retro in comparison to other smartwatches, but I'm a fan overall, particularly considering the $200 price point.
The solar model looks awesome, but I didn't see that before I made my purchase.

Justin

Using GPS, the altimeter function is more accurate that using baro alone.

I had been looking for a watch that could do altimeter via gps (as you say - more accurate), but couldn’t find one at a decent price until I read your post. We were at the Ft. Hood BX last week and lo and behold, they had the Instinct on sale for $99.00. I should’ve bought two.

I’ve had several electronic watches in the past, but didn’t really get along with them. However, I am really liking the Instinct, which is saying a lot considering I mostly wear mechanical watches. Thanks for letting me know about the Instinct!

That's a brilliant deal. I'm enjoying mine for twice that price! Garmin does have a few bugs I notice.. the sunset was an hour out a couple of days ago. Maybe the GPS glitched and put me in a different time zone. Had to turn off to clear the fault.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back