• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

G'day from Victoria Australia .. (1 Viewer)

Hello there

For the past 4 years I have been engrossed in furniture making ... but the wife now says enough .. got no more room for tables, cabinets and the like (inside or outside the home).

So I will be closing down the workshop soon and engaging in a hobby (birding) that will enable Carolyn and I to spend more time together and do more travelling.

So for my birthday in a fortnight's time I have been shouted a new camera, binoculars and field guides ... so I'm rearing to go.

I hope to be able to be a regular poster to the forum in future.

BUT ... I would ask for some help please ... what is the best way to record and journalise obsewrvations? ... is there a system that has been devised to do this so that one can create a history of observations. I would be interested in learing from your experience.

Thank you

Rob

Hi Rob and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

Welcome to this fascinating new hobby you've chosen.

As for your question on recording your sightings, you'll find there's nearly as many methods as there are members LOL. I use a simple spreadsheet for instance. Others simply write them in notebooks - but there's many on-line methods too.

I'd suggest you post in either Tips for New Birders or Information Wanted (scroll down the main Forums page and you should see them). Have fun deciding which method you use.

If you need any help, please don't be afraid to ask.

Hi Rob,
Welcome to BF!

For just recording observations, Ebird is wonderful.
It allows reviews over time, so you can track your as well as others sightings. Plus it builds data for the community. So it is another entry to the birding world.
That said, serious birders generally keep written records, often with much finer data than merely species counts.
There are also apps such as BirdersDiary that allow for electronic recording rather than pen and paper.
In general, the various nature societies and conservation groups are a possible place to start to get a sense of what is available.

Last edited:
Hi Rob and welcome to the forum. Birding is a great hobby to do with your wife.

Another Victorian, goodo :)

G'day Rob and welcome to Birdforum.

A significant proportion of Aussie birders use the (US based, globally used) Ebird system https://ebird.org/home for logging what they see. There is an app that can be downloaded onto your chosen smartphone, or keep a field notebook and log sightings on the internet later.

There are other logging software solutions but non quite so user friendly or ubiquitous as ebird.

Welcome to BirdForum! I am sure you will find lots to interest you here, and I hope you enjoy your visits.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back