• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
Feel the intensity, not your equipment. Maximum image quality. Minimum weight. The new ZEISS SFL, up to 30% less weight than comparable competitors.

getting started (1 Viewer)

Chkm8

I am currently using my 20x50 binoculars for bird watching and a canon 350D with a 70-300 APO for photography.
With the new arrival of hen harriers which bred this year and have stayed in the area I can't get close enough with either the camera or the binoculars. Generally 300-400yds away. Check the bird identify forum for idea of the poor quality images I am currently getting.
I need advice firstly on a scope with more reach than the binoculars at under £500 and I will then hopefully in the new use it with my DSLR for digiscoping or am not against buying a more suitable camer possibly the canon powershot range if I would get better results.
Any advice on scope to get me started would be great.

John.

postcardcv

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Do you alreay have a tripod, or do you need to get one within your budget? I think the Opticron ES80ED scope would be an excellent option, new it would be a bit above your budget, but you should be able to get a secondhand one with eyepeice for ~£400. It's a good quality scope, good light gathering and excellent for digiscoping.

Chkm8

Have a tripod for the camera. Not sure if it would also fit a scope. If not then would need to include tripod in the price. I will have a look at the ES80ED

John

postcardcv

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Have a tripod for the camera. Not sure if it would also fit a scope. If not then would need to include tripod in the price. I will have a look at the ES80ED

John

Tripods are basically a standard fit so I'm sure you'll be fine with your existing one.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread