• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ghost (1 Viewer)

cncjerry

United States
First, the crow was fine, hard to believe. He shook his head and off he went.

We had a large brush fire a few days ago where we had to shelter in place, lots of ash covered everything, spider webs especially. We have a lot of hanging dongles to prevent birds hitting the windows ( you can see the strings on the lower frame) but not on the upper pane in our kitchen. I had heard a bird hit, checked and he flew off. But when the sun crossed the kitchen window later on an acute angle (that doesn't look all that dirty otherwise) I noticed this image. The detail is amazing. We've had a lot of crows lately but the ravens (Ralph, Alice, Norton and sometimes Trixie) scare them off. I don't know if the ashes add to the image or maybe he was just a "dirty bird." I hope it doesn't offend anyone, we'll have to figure out something for that pane.

IMG_6622.jpg

We occasionally get pigeon strikes which leave similar imprints - never seen a damaged bird though!

Glad to hear he was OK Jerry.

LOL he made a rather clear print of his visit than a Wood Pigeon did on mine, which was just a large blob. He flew off OK too.

Glad to hear he was OK Jerry.

LOL he made a rather clear print of his visit than a Wood Pigeon did on mine, which was just a large blob. He flew off OK too.
I didn't realize the imprints were so common.

We had a Spotted Towhee hit once that didn't make it. Then a scrub Jay that I thought was a goner. Breathing hard, head down, etc. So I put clear plastic bowl over it to protect it from the other birds. About two hours later it was pecking to come out.

Jerry

Hi,

don't know if the ashes add to the image or maybe he was just a "dirty bird."
View attachment 1459498

Years ago, the German "Vögel" magazine had an article on window strikes, and they mentioned that imprints are sort of common. It's not necesarily dirt, if I remember correctly they explained that birds normally carry some kind of dust im their feathers for some functional purpose, probably to ensure they glide well against each other when the bird moves. Not quite sure on the details, but something like that.

Regards,

Henning

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back