• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

giant hogweed (1 Viewer)

paj

United Kingdom
All

Not really wildlife I know but how do you tell Giant Hogweed from our native species?
I've got this thing growing in my garden which looks suspiciously like one and is about 7 feet tall.

Paj

Re Hogweed

Hi pajarero

Sounds like it could be the big one. It can grow up to 5m tall with leaves up to 1m long. Sometimes red spotted stem. It does like dampish areas. It grows in some parts of Norfolk.

Warning it is a nasty beasty!! Do not get any of the sap on your hands.

On a recent walk fairly close to home in Norfolk we went through an area on a well walked footpath. At intervals English Nature had erected warning notices with an illustration, only problem was that some of the illustration showed palm trees. Now this I find quite worrying as they are supposed to be the leading light on all things natural in England. If they cannot attach the correct illustration of a plant to a warning notice what hope is there!

burhinus

Hi burhinus

The only hope I've got is to stay in the house and send my wife out to deal with it!!!

Pajarero

Re Hogweed

Hi pajarero

Just hope she does not come in and make you a Hogweed and Hemlock herbal tea drink. I think they help with sleeping!!! Never tried it myself.

burhinus

Giant Hogweed photo

Here is a not too brilliant shot of one of the beasties with a chap for scale.
picture.JPG

Hi Ian

I've just seen your photo of the Giant Hogweed which looks similar to my garden monster.
Anyway mine is now definately an ex Hogweed, as I cut the rascal down about a week ago!!

paj

Hi Ian

Glad to see that you are wearing gloves. I understand the sap causes blisters! They are impressive though.

Whenever I see them I sing the old Genesis song to myself. It is about the Victorian explorer who went off in search of the Giant Hogweed to bring it back to the UK. I wonder if anyone has wrote a song about Grey Squirrels?

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back