• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gibralter Point & The Wash shoreline (1 Viewer)

intellectual

England
Hello,

An early start yesterday morning, up at 5:15 and left house at 07:05. Picked up fellow birder and then drove to Gib, except for a convoy of farm vehicles travelling along the B1225 at a snails pace we had a good run through. Arrived at 09:30, put two pound coins in the parking meter and nothing came out! Pushed the button to retrieve money and it only coughed up one coin! Decided to park at the rear of the field centre and put our permits on the dash. Saw a guy and told him about losing a quid, ten minutes later he brought a ticket, so beware!!

As we went to the Wash View point a Barn Owl flew low over us, we got excellent views [my first one this year]. There was the usual Black-headed Gulls and Mallard about. On arriving at the viewpoint we saw quite a few butterflies and a Reed Bunting sat a top a tree. There were lots of birds on the shoreline but to far away to ID. It was getting hot and knew we wouldn't be sat in the sun for long. Was scanning the skies when we saw a bird of prey soaring, going higher and higher, at first I believed it to be a male Hen Harrier after getting it in the scope, couldn't see any black wing bars, but my pal was of the opinion it was a male Monty, in the end we lost it because it went so high. We hadn't long to wait before another bird of prey came into sight, it was flying low over the marshes, it was grey above and had slow wing beats, also got this in scope and was convinced it was a HH. The sun and haze didn't make things easy.

We decided to have a look at the Tennyson Sands hide hoping to see the LBD. On arriving the hide had 4 people all watching something, hoped it would be the LBD [never having seen one]. Yes!! That is what they were looking at. Each of them asked if we would like to view it through their scopes, which we did, it was sat with it's back to us, accoding to these people it had been there for two hours. We saw it when it moved around giving excellent views. Then half an hour later it was no where to be seen. Thankfully we had come just in time to see a LONG-BILLED DOWITCHER!!

Also saw some Greenshank and Common Sandpiper plus the usual ducks.

From there we went to the Mere hide, but as usual when we have been there was little there, just Coots.

Before we left we had some pack-up and discussed what we had seen, debating about the HH and the Monty.

Our next port of call involved an hour and a half drive in a southwards direction. On arriving at about 13:30 we scanned the area for birds of prey and walked along a Public Footpath, a Swallow and some Linnets were on overhead wires and then I spotted a bird of prey. we both agreed it was a female Monty. After walking for so far my pal had to take a breather and I continued. Well pleased I did, for an Hobby was seen first, for me this was the best views ever. Next saw a Peregrine in a stoop, this was exciting to watch! As I went back to join my pal I spotted another female Monty, and he did as well. In the distance could see three other birds of prey but couldn't ID them.

We both agreed it had been a great day out, a long one but never the less well worth it!!!!

Regards

Last edited:
Hi Interllectual,

A nice report, i'm going on a trip there in october and am hoping to get a lload of new birds. Your report has made me more eager to go as most of the birds mentioned will be lifers :)

Regards,
Steven

Stonechat2 said:
Hi Interllectual,

A nice report, i'm going on a trip there in october and am hoping to get a lload of new birds. Your report has made me more eager to go as most of the birds mentioned will be lifers :)

Regards,
Steven

Hi Steven,

Thanks for your comments.

Gib' is like most places, on a good day it's well worth the drive, but sometimes when I've been it's been a bit slow. On one occassion when we went I saw my first male Hen Harrier, but my pal missed it, he was looking the other way!!
Another time we had seen very little other than the usual, when we had just left the Mere hide and walking past the pond on the right as you go back to the car park, I spotted a little bird and it turned out to be a Yellow-browed Warbler!! That made the journey worthwhile.

Good Luck on your visit. Post it on here then I'll be able to read it.

Regards

Hi Intellectual

Pheww, i bet the yellow browed warbler was quite something.
I will definateley post a trip report.

Steven

Hi JG. A great day out, eh?

Great report. I like the coast a bit further down nearer to Freiston, at "Cut End" - and that's near to the public MH nest, I think?

scampo said:
Hi JG. A great day out, eh?

Great report. I like the coast a bit further down nearer to Freiston, at "Cut End" - and that's near to the public MH nest, I think?

Hello Steve,

Did you enjoy the holiday?

Yes, a very good day out, and a tiring one.

We went well past the MH RSPB site.

Been to Freiston Shore reserve two years ago and had a good day, but not been to Cut End, yet!

The MH site is close to Freiston.

Regards

PS: Thanks for the reply Steven.

intellectual said:
Will put a report on here when I decide to go.

Thanks

This is the third time I have attempted to leave a message, lets hope this one is a successful!!

Why has this section been closed?

No more reports from me on here.

:h?:

Re the 2020 virus, just read the OLD THREAD WARNING I have now been sheilding for the past ten weeks and got quite a few more to do before I'm allowed out so to pass some time I have been enjoying reading my past reports if no one objects!

Regards

Max :)

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back