• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Gilbert, Arizona. Jan 31 2021 (1 Viewer)

uk2usa

Hello all.

Could someone offer me an ID on these birds please? I am thinking Red-tailed Hawk and Ruby-crowned Kinglet, but having trouble with my color perception.

Thanks.

Attachments

• Unknown1resize.jpg
    Unknown1resize.jpg
    185.7 KB · Views: 50
  • Unknown4resize.jpg
    Unknown4resize.jpg
    155 KB · Views: 50

foresttwitcher

Virtually unknown member
United Kingdom
The first is either a Cooper's or Sharp-shinned Hawk but I won's hazard a guess as to which having never seen either.
The second looks fine for the Kinglet.

KC Foggin

Super Moderator
Staff member
Opus Editor
Supporter
United States
There is no belly belt on the accipiter so I'm going with a Sharpie or a female Northern Harrier and I agree on Yellow-rumped Warbler.

Microtus

Maryland USA (he/him)
Supporter
United States
The second bird has yellow toes and dark legs, which kinglets have. It also has too much white in front of the eyes for Yellow-rumped. Also, the tail has a slight fork, which also points to Ruby-crowned Kinglet.

The first bird is an accipiter, not a harrier or a buteo, and might be a Sharp-shinned Hawk.

birdmeister

United States
I would tend towards Cooper's, but I'm not 100% sure. The tail looks rather uneven/rounded, but I hate to go off a folded tail at this angle. The head overall looks more robust to me, with a very "intense" look to the eye/face. To me, it appears that the rufous color stretches back to the nape, suggesting Cooper's. If a Cooper's, it would most likely be female (males usually show a gray cheek, like all Sharp-shins).

lmans66

Out Birding....
Supporter
United States
I am for a Cooper's too.... can't quite make out the tail but the shape of head looks Coopers to me

Users who are viewing this thread