• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gilbert, Arizona. Jan 31 2021 (1 Viewer)

uk2usa

Hello all.

Could someone offer me an ID on these birds please? I am thinking Red-tailed Hawk and Ruby-crowned Kinglet, but having trouble with my color perception.

Thanks.

Attachments

• Unknown1resize.jpg
    Unknown1resize.jpg
    185.7 KB · Views: 50
  • Unknown4resize.jpg
    Unknown4resize.jpg
    155 KB · Views: 50
The first is either a Cooper's or Sharp-shinned Hawk but I won's hazard a guess as to which having never seen either.
The second looks fine for the Kinglet.

There is no belly belt on the accipiter so I'm going with a Sharpie or a female Northern Harrier and I agree on Yellow-rumped Warbler.

The second bird has yellow toes and dark legs, which kinglets have. It also has too much white in front of the eyes for Yellow-rumped. Also, the tail has a slight fork, which also points to Ruby-crowned Kinglet.

The first bird is an accipiter, not a harrier or a buteo, and might be a Sharp-shinned Hawk.

I would tend towards Cooper's, but I'm not 100% sure. The tail looks rather uneven/rounded, but I hate to go off a folded tail at this angle. The head overall looks more robust to me, with a very "intense" look to the eye/face. To me, it appears that the rufous color stretches back to the nape, suggesting Cooper's. If a Cooper's, it would most likely be female (males usually show a gray cheek, like all Sharp-shins).

I am for a Cooper's too.... can't quite make out the tail but the shape of head looks Coopers to me

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back