• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gill Osborne's 2009 List (2 Viewers)

I'm getting worse!!!

I'm beginning to rethink my id of Lesser Whitethroat from Tuesday afternoon! There have been a few reports of lessers being around in various local areas so I guess I'd just convinced myself that what I was looking at was a lesser instead of a common :smoke:

So I think I'll scratch it off my Year List until I can get back up to Druridge (tomorrow afternoon or Sunday) and get a positive identification :t:

*sigh* this brain-turning-to-mush is happening more and more at the moment......it's either old age kicking in (at 41!!!) or I'm just in need of a holiday!!! Roll on Saturday 13th June so I can knock off work at 9.30am and have a whole blissful week of birding without any phones ringing or ratty customers or reps harassing me to give them big orders :storm:

Year List now back to 110 :king:

Sunday, 17th May
Druridge Pools, N'land

111: Common Whitethroat
112: Spoonbill

Solved the problem of last week's mis-identification - twas a Common and not a Lesser :smoke: Got the id sussed in my head now though and the song too :t:

Also had my first Wall butterflies of the year and yet more great sightings of the otter :t:
Such a lovely warm early-summer day....it was a shame to have to head back home! :smoke:

Tuesday, 19th May
Rothbury

113: Bullfinch
114: Garden Warbler

A quick trip to Rothbury proved very fruitful with another two year ticks :t: A walk along the river had numerous willow warbler, chaffinch and blackbird in song. A family of two adult and five young Long-tailed Tit were active in shrubs around me and having them flitting about with constant high-pitched calls and feeding their young just feet from me was one of the loveliest - and most relaxing - experiences I have ever had :t: Good day! :king:

Monday, 25th May
Craster, Northumberland

Had a fabulous day out birding and picked up a few I should have had by now. This is just the basics - I'll do a proper post later on this evening :king:

115: Kittiwake
116: Shag
117: Guillemot
118: Razorbill

Boulmer, Northumberland

119: Arctic Tern
120: Whimbrel

Saturday, 30th May
QE2 Park, Northumberland

121: Barnacle Goose

A single one feeding on the banks of the lake with a mixed flock of mute swan, canada geese, moorhen, black-headed gulls, rook, jackdaw and carrion crow. No leg rings and no sign of wing clipping and, when a woman offered food to the various birds, the barnacle gave her a very wide berth! A lazy migrant perhaps that cannot be bothered to head north? ;) :-O

Sunday, 31st May
A1068, opposite Shortridge Hall turnoff

122: Little Owl ~ sunbathing on top of a stone bus shelter at 8.50am in bright sunlight!!! :king: Completely unexpected...I had to turn the car around and go back for another look :t:

East Chevington

123: Marsh Harrier
124: Reed Warbler *Lifer No. 199* :loveme:
125: Greenshank
126: Little Gull

Druridge Pools

127: Wood Sandpiper

Cresswell Pond

128: Tree Sparrow

Also had my first Cinnabar Moths at Druridge and three HUGE Woolly Bears that were over 2inch long!!!!

Hahaha finally caught up with the buggers!!!! :-O

Sunday, 7th June
Alnwick Moor

131: Red Grouse *Lifer No. 200* :loveme:

Tuesday, 16th June
Patterdale, Cumbria

Our second trip to the area in a week! Whilst Neil was busy helping our friend do some building work on his garage I took myself off for an hour or two's birding on the banks of Ullswater o:) I set off at 2pm and got back at *cough* 7.30pm!!! :-O Well......I always get distracted when out birding ;)
I had a fabulous few hours in boiling hot sunshine and showed some gorgeous birds to a lot of walkers passing by :t:

134: Redstart
135: Spotted Flycatcher
136: Tree Pipit *Lifer No. 201 :loveme:

Tuesday, 23rd June
Cresswell Pond

137: Grasshopper Warbler :t:

I went to Druridge hoping for a cuckoo but it was absolutely dead bird-wise - and no otters either!!! :smoke:

I did have a lot of butterflies though! Meadow Brown, Ringlet, Common Blue, Large Skipper and a single Painted Lady :king:

I then popped along to Cresswell and whilst chatting to a lady with six adorable chinese crested a male Grasshopper Warbler flew onto a nearby hawthorn shrub and started reeling in full view! First one I've ever seen clearly :t: A couple of other birders had never seen one before and were very pleased when I told them what it was.

Still need that darned cuckoo though! :smoke: I won't give up!!!!! ;):-O

Sunday, 30th August
Canongate Bridge, Alnwick

139: Kingfisher o:)

After a dismal couple of months I'm feeling a lot better and back in the fray once more :t: Today is the first day of a fortnight off so planning to do LOTS....obscene amounts...of birding!!!

Now how do I tell Neil.....;)

Well...the poxy Lakeland weather has been just a tad annoying this week as it has been very heavy rain a lot of the time :C But today wasn't too bad so we headed out to Haweswater to look for the eagle.

Saturday, 5th September
Haweswater, Cumbria

140: Goosander
141: Raven

Planning an early start tomorrow to head down to Leighton Moss and the Morecambe Bay area :t:

Well.......8.50pm, pitch black outside so I guess this is a Goodbye to birding in 2009 :smoke:

Final year total WAS better than in previous years at 144 :t: BUT i did somehow manage to miss out such easy birds as Great Crested Grebe, Black-necked Grebe, Goldcrest, Red Kite, Puffin.......far too many to admit to! :-O Learnt from this though.....catch the winter birds in the first three months of the year because you cannot rely on them to show towards the end of the year ;)
I haven't done as much birding this past three months as I could have but tomorrow is another day....and another year :king:

So here's to 150+ birds in 2010 o:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back