• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gill Osborne's 2010 List (1 Viewer)

First time out in three weeks.....blasted depression got a hold again and left me lethargic and lacking in motivation or energy :smoke:

Good Friday, 2nd April
Boulmer

88: Linnet
89: Wheatear

Eshott

90: Common Crane :t:

Saturday, 3rd April
Druridge Pools

Finished work at 1pm, home by 1.15, computer on and saw that there had been a Great White Egret just down the road at Druridge so I grabbed the bins, notebook and pencils and flew down the A1 :king: Sadly I dipped as the bird was quite mobile and I just didn't have time to hunt it down at a likely spot (had to be back home by 3pm) so tomorrow I will return at first light. Picked up another couple of birds tho' for the Year List

91: Chiffchaff
92: Grey Partridge

Last edited:
Today was fun! Traipsed around all the sites the egret has been hanging around - East Chevington, Druridge Pools, Cresswell, Warkworth Pools, Druridge again and finally East Chevington :t: Saw some nice birds, saw LOTS of mud and flooded areas :-O Just SO glad I put my wellies on today or I would never have got through in a few places :king:

Monday, 5th April
East Chevington

93: House Martin
94: Sand Martin
95: Reed Bunting
96: Great White Egret :loveme:

Canongate Bridge, Alnwick

97: Dipper

Gorgeous sunny & warm spring day so straight after an unavoidable appointment at the hairdressers at 11am I jumped in the car and headed off to Druridge - surely today would bring some spring migrants and, hopefully, a butterfly or two?

Saturday, 10th April
Druridge Pools

98: Barn Swallow
99: Red-throated Diver ~ group of 11 just offshore on a flat calm sea :t:
100: Pintail ~ stunning male WOW!!!!! o:) :king:

Cresswell Pond

101: Knot ~ group of 40+

Also had my first Honey Bee of the year feeding on a coltsfoot and my first, albeit rather tatty, Small Tortoiseshell :t: Noticed a lot more Dandelion in bloom today too.

Tuesday, 20th April
Cresswell Pond

102: Yellow Wagtail ~ 4 stunning males; my first in over two years :t:
103: Common Sandpiper
104: Jack Snipe *Lifer No: 203* :loveme:

Druridge Pools

105: Garganey
106: Black-tailed Godwit ~ flock of approx. 77 :eek!:

This must be the first time for ages I have went out hoping for certain birds and actually seen ALL of them :-O Perhaps, after 27 years, I'm getting the hang of this birding lark ;)
Only downside was finding a rabit with myxie and, upon taking it to a local vet, was made to feel like a fool because ''it's only a rabbit!'' :-C Well if I'm a fool for loving animals and caring about something having a humane death then so be it :smoke: Feel quite upset about it TBH.....not the death of the rabbit, more the attitude of my fellow humans :-C

Sunday, 25th April
Wallsend Swallow Pond

108: Blackcap
109: Willow Warbler

Holywell Pond

110: Goosander

Holywell Dene

111: Whitethroat
112: Stock Doves

Also thrilled to bits to see my first Speckled Wood butterfly of the year.

Last edited:
Saturday, 8th May
Scotch Ghyll Woods, Morpeth

114: Garden Warbler

This was my first ever visit to this site as I normally see it as we pass on our way to Wallington. Absolutely bursting with various wild flowers in bloom - lesser celandine, bluebells, wild garlic just coming into flower, garlic mustard, red campion, herb robert, huge clumps of marsh marigold and, a Lifer, my very first Lords and Ladies o:) I've always wanted to see these in the wild and back in 1991, when I lived in Guide Post, I found some berries by the river.....but this is the first time I've seen the actual flowers and oh wow!!! They are just beautiful - so simple yet so elegant - just perfection! :t: Only downside was the fact that I had forgotten to bring my camera AND my mobile phone!!!!! :storm: Oh well, just have to go back in a few days' time ;)
Oh, also saw a single Peacock, Green-veined White and DOZENS of male Orange Tips.

Couple of hours from Boulmer along to Silver Sands this afternoon...forgot to take my binoculars so probably missed loads of stuff offshore |:$|

Thursday, 24th June

117: Sandwich Tern

Thursday, 1st July
Cresswell Pond

118: Sedge Warbler

Druridge Bay

119: Arctic Tern
120: Great Skua

Ratten Row, Alnwick

121: Sparrowhawk :t:

Thursday, 15th July
Warkworth

124: Barn Owl ~ swooped across road in front of me at 9.10am o:)

Druridge Pools

125: Common Tern ~ one preening on rock in front of hide: best views ever!!! :t:

Cresswell Pond

126: Little Ringed Plover ~ juv.
127: Scaup ~ 2 male, 1 female

Alnwick Moor

128: Red Grouse ~ just called by on the offchance and was rewarded by 5 females next to the edge :t:

Saturday, 11th September
5hr pelagic from Seahouses

129: Arctic Tern
130: Guillemot
131: Sooty Shearwater *Lifer No. 204* :loveme:
132: Puffin
133: Kittiwake

Thursday, 30th September
Holy Island, Northumberland

134: Goldcrest
135: Short-eared Owl
136: Peregrine Falcon
137: Great Grey Shrike *Lifer No. 205* :loveme:
138: Brambling *Lifer No. 206* :loveme:
139: Whinchat
140: Pied Flycatcher
141: Spotted Flycatcher

Also had two very brief glimpses of a Barred Warbler in the dunes but cannot add it to my Life List as the glimpses I got were not good enough for me to be able to id one if I were on my own :smoke: Just have to go back on Saturday afternoon/Sunday to attempt better views ;)
Also dipped on Yellow-browed Warbler and Red-breasted Flycatcher as they flew off before I could get there *dratted tourists - the island was heaving today!!!* but as I have the next fortnight off, starting 1pm on Saturday, I intend to catch up with these wee beauties at some point! :king:

Tuesday, 21st December
Cresswell Pond

144: Woodcock :t:

First time out in over a month :smoke: Thrilled to have three woodcock at Cresswell Pond - my first ones since 2006 :eek!: Also had a barn owl hunting at 3.30pm and, on my way home, a sparrowhawk fly out in front of the car with a small bird in it's talons.

Wonder if I'll make 150 before the end of the year? :king:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back