• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gitzo G2228 4 Section Carbon Fibre Tripod (1 Viewer)

dougan

Anyone got first hand experience with this tripod? I have seen a used one for £215, it looks in good condition, with no obvious defects.
It will be used with a scope, probably one with a 80mm objective lens, would it be suitable?

Thanks

This series was more popular for photography than scoping, so you might get more replies on a photo forum. I was intrigued but never tried one.

--AP

I had the G2227 Explorer (replaced since by the Gitzo Explorer GT2541EX). It's a very specialized tripod because of its adjustable and lockable legs and tiltable column, and I don't think it is really suited for a spotting scope. I use mine primarily for macro uses with a rail. For my Meopta Meostar S2 82 HD I use a GT2532, although I have been able to get away with a Gitzo Traveler GT90TT and ProMediaGear Katana Jr. gimbal head.

Unless you are using the tripod for long distance back packing trips, my vote is to get a tripod for a scope that has upper leg diameter in the 36mm and up range. They will provide good stability. Consider a newer model Leofoto. They are excellent tripods in my humble opinion. Very high quality, medium price.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back