• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gitzo GT2545T or GT4553S with 95 mm scope? Travel tripod sought (1 Viewer)

4 The Birds1

Has anyone used the GITZO Traveller GT2545T with a full-size scope, and can share their experiences?

I am looking to get a tripod which will fit into carry-on luggage, i.e. sub 50 cm transport length.

My scope is an ATX95, and tripod references are GT3533LS and Berlebach Report.

A sturdier, dearer and significantly heavier alternative would be GT4553S. If it weren't for the weight penalty (900 g), I would probably go for this.

Would love to hear any user reports on this model too.

And any other suggestions for alternative travel tripods which might fit the bill!

Thanks very much

Achim

Suggest using the excellent filters on the bhphotovideo.ccom website to find the tripod you want and then look for it locally. In the UK Robert White is a very good source for equipment.

I put an Arca-Swiss plate on my scope so I can use any of my tripods to support it.

Imo a 2 series tripod with an ATX95 is at the edge of good stability. I like a tripod that can reach a normal 175cm height without using the center column as that gives far less vibrations to the scope. A 2545 is just 131cm with the center column down. I have a 3542L with the 2720QR head which is about 20 cm higher. Unless you are under 170cm this is ideal with a 45 angle scope. They say ideal height is 152cm (60 inches) without center column.

The advantage I have with my tripod is that I do not have to fully extend the thinnest parts of the legs so you have even more stability. With the traveller you always have to use all four sections and the thinnest part is just 18mm thick.

Closed length 3542L Mountaineer is 59cm and weight 1.95 kg, legs diameter 21.7, 25.3, 29, 32.9 mm
Closed length 2545 Traveller is 44,5cm and weight 1.35 kg, legs diameter 18.2, 21.7, 25.3, 29 mm

59 cm is still short enough to put in a suitcase of rucksack and 600 grams heavier.

I recently purchased a Gitzo series 1 tripod kit for my Vortex Razor 85mm. It has not arrived yet, but I hope it will do the job! Again, I was looking for a good balance between stability and portability.

I might update the thread when I've had a chance to try it out...

I recently purchased a Gitzo series 1 tripod kit for my Vortex Razor 85mm. It has not arrived yet, but I hope it will do the job! Again, I was looking for a good balance between stability and portability.

I might update the thread when I've had a chance to try it out...
Please do as I am curious of what you will find.

I have a Gitzo GT1555T that is great up to a 60mm spotting scope but I have always felt a series 2 or 3 was better for larger spotting scopes. Maybe a series 1 mountaineer would supersede a series 1 traveler?

Depending on why you find I might be looking at another tripod…again!

Please do as I am curious of what you will find.

I have a Gitzo GT1555T that is great up to a 60mm spotting scope but I have always felt a series 2 or 3 was better for larger spotting scopes. Maybe a series 1 mountaineer would supersede a series 1 traveler?

Depending on why you find I might be looking at another tripod…again!

This is quite popular in my place LS-325CEX - Leofoto and the price is below RM 1600 with the half bowl. I have tested it with full size Swarovski scopes and feels so great, better and taller than my current Fotopro. It comes with 10 years warranty

I've been using my GT1545T (Traveller Series 1) for a few days now.

With an 85mm Razor, the GT1545T provides perfect stability and excellent and intuitive performance when used indoors (birding through windows, for example); but, as expected, there is a little vibration when used outdoors in the wind. However, this slight lack of stability is very well compensated for by overall portability and low weight.

Its just what I need for my purposes, but I think more serious outdoor users might consider it slightly less ideal than something with a little more stability, such as a Mountaineer Series 2 or 3, for example.

The overall build quality is superb. I much prefer Gitzo to any Manfrotto I have tried, 3 Legged Thing, or similar brands.

I'm also very impressed by the simple ball head which came with the kit. I don't feel any need to upgrade to a two-way fluid, for now.

Last edited:
I've been using my GT1545T (Traveller Series 1) for a few days now.
Nice tripod. I like mine as well ... :cool:
With an 85mm Razor, the GT1545T provides perfect stability and excellent and intuitive performance when used indoors (birding through windows, for example); but, as expected, there is a little vibration when used outdoors in the wind. However, this slight lack of stability is very well compensated for by overall portability and low weight.
I use mine only with fairly light scopes (EDIIIA or ED50). For bigger scopes I prefer something heavier and more stable.
Its just what I need for my purposes, but I think more serious outdoor users might consider it slightly less ideal than something with a little more stability, such as a Mountaineer Series 2 or 3, for example.
Yep, definitely. I use an old Mountaineer (Series2) or indeed a much older and heavier aluminium Gitzo. And on really difficult days I use a really heavy wooden tripod.
The overall build quality is superb. I much prefer Gitzo to any Manfrotto I have tried, 3 Legged Thing, or similar brands.
The difference is really quite something. BTW, my oldest Gitzo, an aluminium Reporter 2, is about 40 years old and still going strong. Doesn't look very nice anymore though. I still use it (with a heavy head) on windy days with the Nikon ED82.
I'm also very impressed by the simple ball head which came with the kit. I don't feel any need to upgrade to a two-way fluid, for now.
That's where we differ. I only ever use a ballhead (RRS) with a very light scope if I need to keep the weight down as much as possible.

Hermann

I’ll stick with this setup for a while, and see if I feel like something more stable would indeed make the upgrade worthwhile. So far, however, no complaints at all.

I love the Razor, but when I do upgrade my scope (in the future, when cash is a little more available), I’ll be eyeing-up a Zeiss Harpia 95 or Swarovski ATX 115. That would also demand a tripod upgrade, I imagine - Mountaineer range, or above.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back