• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gitzo heads. (1 Viewer)

Owene

Wales
I just tried to buy a gitzo 2 way fluid head from Amazon but was sent a fluid 3 way head instead with the 2 way now listed as unavailable

Im sure I could get a refund but presumably not get an immediate replacement.

The 3 way head is actually much more expensive but from what I can tell much more of a camera rather than spotting scope head.

Has anyone used them with a scope? The idea of multiple short handles is putting me off.

Given the much higher price I’d there likely to be a dealer somewhere in uk who would trade them

Could you tell us what you ordered and what you received? I think that 3-way heads for scope use and Amazon as a supplier of such equipment are both suboptimal :(.

John

I think they are just called fluid 2 way. And fluid 3 way. The codes are essentially just the acronyms.

GFH2W ordered but GFH3W received.

From looking at videos I really can’t see the GFH3W working with a scope at all even if I’m sure it’s a nice piece of camera kit. The GFH2W seems out of stock everywhere so I guess they just filled the order with as close as possible from their point of view.

I recently got myself a GFH2W and I’m really pleased with it, using it with a full sized scope. Only think I’d say is first I bought an ex-demo one which I sent back as part of the body was coming loose and I could not access the necessary screws to re tighten it. Just a bit of anxiety this could happen to my new one. Anyway, so far so good, it has vastly improved my experience with the scope. Hope you manage to track one down where you live.

I think they are just called fluid 2 way. And fluid 3 way. The codes are essentially just the acronyms.

GFH2W ordered but GFH3W received.

From looking at videos I really can’t see the GFH3W working with a scope at all even if I’m sure it’s a nice piece of camera kit. The GFH2W seems out of stock everywhere so I guess they just filled the order with as close as possible from their point of view.
This appears to be a new addition to Gitzo's line-up and if you were a photographer you would've got a very good deal.
On the positive side, fluid movement suggests it would work with a scope and with 13 kg capacityit would be very stable.
The lateral tilt facility though is superfluous for scope use and it is quite a bit heavier than the GHF2W.
Another negative is the height above the tilt axis and the lack of a counterbalance.
As with the GHF2W the Arca-Swiss quick-release plate has no anti-rotation pin, so for scope use you would be best advised to get a Swarovski plate as their heads are supplied by Gitzo. Compatibility with plates from other manufacturers might pose a problem with the lever clamp on the GHF3W.

John

This appears to be a new addition to Gitzo's line-up and if you were a photographer you would've got a very good deal.
On the positive side, fluid movement suggests it would work with a scope and with 13 kg capacityit would be very stable.
The lateral tilt facility though is superfluous for scope use and it is quite a bit heavier than the GHF2W.
Another negative is the height above the tilt axis and the lack of a counterbalance.
As with the GHF2W the Arca-Swiss quick-release plate has no anti-rotation pin, so for scope use you would be best advised to get a Swarovski plate as their heads are supplied by Gitzo. Compatibility with plates from other manufacturers might pose a problem with the lever clamp on the GHF3W.

John
Thank you for this really thorough reply. I think I’ll probably get it refunded but I do appreciate it

Hello,

I am thinking of buying a Gitzo 2-Way Fluid Head and would like to know if it is possible to attach on an Oben CT-2491 tripod?.

Jose Castano
Colombia

Hello,

I am thinking of buying a Gitzo 2-Way Fluid Head and would like to know if it is possible to attach on an Oben CT-2491 tripod?.

Jose Castano
Colombia
Hi Jose,

Welcome to Birdforum.
There would be no problems of compatibility between the Gitzo head and the Oben tripod. Nearly all tripods for use with cameras or sports optics have a 3/8"x16 top stud. In the rare event that the tripod had a 1/4"x20 stud, you could use a thread adapter.

Here is a review of the Oben tripod: Oben CT-2491 Test Results. The results are not entirely positive, but I think one has to set the moderate rigidity in relation to its height capability and low weight.
If you are using an angled scope you would not need to extend the bottom leg sections much and could still allow around 5 cm ovelap between top, 2nd. and 3rd. leg sections and have very good stability.

John

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back