• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gitzo over-priced rubbish (1 Viewer)

Alastair Rae

London birder
After years of irritation with various tripod problems, I was finally persuaded to splash out on a Gitzo tripod and head (GT2531 and GH1720QR).

This rig is rock solid when it works but the head is a real pain in the field. It constantly works loose and several times has fallen off the tripod. There is no means to fix the head in place. Its double-ended screw attachment can work loose without rotating the head so vibration (car boot or over the shoulder) can undo it.

Basically I feel that I've spent rather too much on equipment that is less safe in use that gear costing a quarter the price.

After years of irritation with various tripod problems, I was finally persuaded to splash out on a Gitzo tripod and head (GT2531 and GH1720QR).

This rig is rock solid when it works but the head is a real pain in the field. It constantly works loose and several times has fallen off the tripod. There is no means to fix the head in place. Its double-ended screw attachment can work loose without rotating the head so vibration (car boot or over the shoulder) can undo it.

Basically I feel that I've spent rather too much on equipment that is less safe in use that gear costing a quarter the price.

Sorry to hear about that and most birders I have met using Manfrotto head

Alastair,

does the disc which is located at the top of the centre column of your tripod, have a small screw next to the centric 1/4" or 3/8" screw for head attachment? This screw is accessible with a screwdriver from underneath the disc. It should be possible to lock and prevent the head from accidental turn off by fixing this screw. The tripod discs made by Manfrotto do have even two of these locking screws. The locking screw should fit into a cavity at the bottom side of the head.

Steve

Last edited:
Hi Alastair - I have had a look at the reference number for your tripod and it is listed as one of the new series 2 Gitzo models. The blurb says it has a "Power Disc" for safer head lock and this appears to emulate the Manfrotto system of having screws to tighten against the bottom of any head you attach to prevent it unscrewing.

Does yours have these screws?

The other thing with Manfrotto heads is that they are not flat on the bottom but have a series of ridges into which the retaining screws sit - I cannot tell from any online info if the Gitzo head you have possesses such a design feature - if it doesn't then it makes the "power disc" less effective. It does however look very funky.

If the screws are working loose then you may wish to consider a spot of blue liquid threadlock.

If you are particularly unhappy with your setup then Gitzo commands good resale values on a well known internet auction site so you may wish to consider selling what you have and possibly converting to Manfrotto - I only recommend these because I have used the Manfrotto system for almost 30 years and it is bulletproof, reliable and secure.

Karl

gitzo is well know for their exceptional tripods..... not so much their heads.

I have the opposite experience from you - I find it very hard to get my jobu design gimbal off the 3540l tripod when I need to do so for travelling aso.

Perhaps the OP is an ex "News of the World" journalist as this is the most wildly exaggerated post I can recall reading in several years of BF.

My Series 2 Gitzo tripod has a grub screw, which can be accessed under the top plate to secure the head and this has been standard for at least 2 years (going by a 2009 catalogue).

For tripods not having this feature, a drop of Loctite on the thread would be all that is required to provide a bomb-proof connection.

If the 1720 has a 3/8"x16 female thread, then the 3/8" end of the reversible screw on the centre column should be used without using these terrible 1/4" to 3/8" adapters.

Sometimes it just helps to read the instructions!

John

The design fault is that the head/tripod interfaces are concentric smooth cylinders and flat smooth discs. The GT2531 Mountaineer has a reversible screw with two different sizes of thread but it is this double ended screw that works loose without rotating the head.

There are some tiny screws in the base plate but no corresponding recesses on the head plate or tripod stem.

I'm sorry if it's a bit News of the World but a tripod that drops the head off is rubbish as far as I'm concerned.

The design fault is that the head/tripod interfaces are concentric smooth cylinders and flat smooth discs. The GT2531 Mountaineer has a reversible screw with two different sizes of thread but it is this double ended screw that works loose without rotating the head.

There are some tiny screws in the base plate but no corresponding recesses on the head plate or tripod stem.

I'm sorry if it's a bit News of the World but a tripod that drops the head off is rubbish as far as I'm concerned.

The tripod should come with a screw-wrench included in delivery that does fit perfectly to the reversible screw you mentioned. Tightened with that screw-wrench I never saw it coming loose from the "Power Disc".

Steve

Suprised (and a little shocked) at your problem. Whilst I have no Gitzo heads
(don't like them) I have heads from Wimberley, Manfrotto and Triopo and NONE work loose on any of my 4 Gitzo tripods (Moutaineer & Sytematic) or on my Gitzo Monopod - I have never (yet) used the little locking screws on the top plates.
In fact NOTHING has worked loose on ANY of my Gitzo gear, including the reports of the heads falling off Systematics. I do check them occasionally but not had to re tighten yet - still it's only been 4 years.
If you are not changing/removing heads then blue Locktite or a blob of nail varnish on the threads will eliminate this problem.

P.S. If you want to get rid of your GT2531 a friend of mine is lusting after one after having borrowed mine - let me know a price,

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back